Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Extreme insomnia from drinking 2 beers??

[Gl...]

Hey..recently I got invited to a friend's to drink and I wanted to see how well I could handle 2 beers.  It had been the first time I drank since the start of my taper and I wanted to see how I would react to it.  I figured in moderation it should be okay and I should be able to have a couple of beers again.  The first night after drinking the beer, I only slept about 4 hours or less (I'm not even sure if I slept because I couldn't really remember).  Since then, the last two nights, I've gotten no sleep at all.  So I've been up 3 days at least by now.  Is this caused by the 2 beers that I drank?  I also quit Gabapentin about 6 days ago but the first 3 days I had no problems sleeping at all.  This is ridiculous..I've wasted 12 hours a day these past two days just laying in bed, exhausted, unable to sleep!  I could see if I was doing meth or cocaine or something, but 2 beers?  Come on

Alcohol affects GABA receptors. Fact No. 1.

Fact no 2, alcohol also has a stimulant effect that lasts longer than its depressant effect. Which is drinking in the evening can cause sleeplessness in the middle of the night.

But maybe it was coming off the gabapentin that changed your sleep. What do you think?

I know that alcohol effects GABA receptors.  I know about the stimulant effect too since it effects dopamine etc.  I think the beer was a contributing factor but I'm not sure if I would have had the insomnia without the beer or not.  It's probably a combination of the Gabapentin and the beer.  Hoping I get some sleep tonight  ;D