Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Olanzepine (Zyprexa) during withdrawal? just read to avoid!

[ch...]

Hi guys

Just read on the British National Formulary.............( Had it emailed to me)

avoid antipsychotics (which may aggravate withdrawal symptoms).

Now my bf is on Zyprexa, which he is always blaming for lots of feelings.

He has just asked me whether to get as stable as possible on his current dose of 28mg V and maybe get off the Zyprexa and hold the Valium taper for a while?

If this is aggravating some of his symptoms (he mainly gets suicidal thoughts, confusion, zombie, depression,anxiety) then surely he should come off it?  :-\

Any opinions?

Chig xxx  :smitten:

It is only my opinion, but I believe antipsychotics should be used to treat only the disorders for which they were formulated - psychoses. Although there is often a lot of paranoia in benzo w/d, benzo w/d is not a psychosis. Last winter the pdoc put me on Seroquel (also an AP). It did nothing for me other than make me feel dopy and raise my restlessness to ASTRONOMICAL levels. I spent hours pacing and rocking (as if benzo w/d alone wasn’t causing enough agony). I discontinued after 4 weeks. Years ago I was going through alcohol post acute w/d and was put on Zyprexa. That lasted about 4 or 5 days - rapidly turned me into a zombie.

My wife takes Zyprexa for schizophrenia (a psychotic disorder) which she inherited from her grandmother. For her, it has been a godsend. One would never know she has schizophrenia from her behavior.

I really don’t think APs are a good idea for “treating” benzo w/d. For me, they only increased restlessness and made me a zombie. Whatever he decides, he should consult his physician for advice. Good luck.

eli

I didn't explain myself very well

My bf has been on this way before he started a benzo. He was put on it to help with Panic attacks, so he has been on it now for 9months.

To be honest, I have just said to him, I don't think he should mess with it yet, at the moment he sleeps and eats well. I don't think he is strong enough to taper another drug :(

But he HATES being on it :(

Chig xx

Not easy, giving advice to a third party. Too easy for things to go terribly wrong.

Not to mention that I'm not a doctor, and even a doctor shouldn't give advice to a stranger on the internet !

Zyprexa is bad stuff. 'antipsychotic' can mean a lot. A different word is 'neuroleptic'. Whether they are the same, and if Zyprexa at low doses is even an antipsychotic is a matter of semantics.

Traditionally, the word 'antipsychotic' refers to the ability of a substance to block the action of dopamine.

Maybe it did help him with anxiety. I wonder why he was prescribed Zyprexa. In general, prescribing Zyprexa for anxiety/panic is a bad idea.

Antipsychotics are indeed not suitable treatment for benzodiazepine withdrawal. That you bf was on it before he started the taper makes a difference.

'He has just asked me whether to get as stable as possible on his current dose of 28mg V and maybe get off the Zyprexa and hold the Valium taper for a while?'

Maybe.

How much of Zyprexa does he take ?

Generally, one should taper one drug at a time.

One would think that one does not need to take both Valium AND Zyprexa.

The danger of forums like these is that people may take inappropriate action ...

There have been several people here that have tapered their benzo first and then tackled the antipsychotic. I stopping 25 mg of Seroquel before my taper of benzos and I fell apart. Had to reinstate and upside to 50 mg. I'm not about to touch the seroquel until long after my benzo taper is over.

Just my opinion!

Yeah, if you are going to ask something like this and expect useful advice, you should explain the situation in more detail.  This is serious business, especially when you have antipsychotics involved.  What did the doctor say?  In general, but depending on circumstances, ap's may be more dangerous to go off than benzos. 

Without having much background and just guessing, I would agree with godsgrace and say stay on the ap, work on the benzo slowly. 

Benzo's get the rap about being so difficult to get off and they are.  With antipsychotics there is less information and probably more unpredictable responses by the body. 

• 11 years later...