Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

sleep patterns - do you wake up at 4:00 feeling cold?

[el...]

It seems that our body temperature drops at around 4:00 the time I wake up and struggle to fall back to sleep!

The other brain control mechanism that regulates sleep and wakefulness is the brain's internal 24 hour clock. This clock is regulated by a structure in the brain called the superchiasmatic nucleus (SCN). The SCN contains a kind of pacemaker that acts as a "clock for all seasons" by being tuned to daily and seasonal changes in light. In mammals, changes in light and darkness at various times of the year play an important role as a signal for breeding and other behaviors such as eating, sleeping, and putting on weight.

In humans, the primary role of the SCN appears to be to regulate daily rhythms of sleep and wakefulness and seasonal changes on mood. (Some people tend to become more depressed in the winter months as light diminishes, a phenomenon known as Seasonal Affective Disorder, or SAD).

The SCN acts on changes in light and darkness by affecting the release of a naturally occurring hormone in the brain called melatonin. When sunlight enters the eyes, melatonin concentrations decrease, which promotes wakefulness and increased alertness by signaling body temperature to rise. Body temperature generally rises during the day except for a brief dip in the afternoon, and then hits its daily peak around 6:00 p.m.

We are typically most alert in the late morning and early evening when body temperature is highest. At nighttime, light ceases to enter the eyes, which causes the SCN to trigger the secretion of melatonin. Body temperature drops, alertness wanes, and the descent toward sleep begins. Body temperature continues to decline and reaches its daily low at around 4:00 am; it then prepares us for eventual wakefulness by beginning to rise before sunrise. Once we awaken, the cycle of increasing body temperature during the day and falling temperature at night repeats itself.

[ee...]

YES!! Every time I wake up, I'm cold. I even get this after toxic naps. It's awful. I wondered what that was. Thanks for posting this.

Strange stuff this drug does to us. SO strange. Hang in there.

Much love, ((HUGS)) and healing, lamberfn

Hi Elizabeth. Thanks so much for the valuable information on temperature and sleep...especially about the SCN. I think mine must be messed up and doesn't know when to tell me to sleep. Those of us who have horrible insomnia are looking for every possible reason we are not sleeping and then how to fix it. I just bought the zzz glasses which are supposed to trick your body into producting melatonin. Your body thinks its nite(which it is) and keeps the blue lites away from disturbing melatonin production.

I awaken a 4 so often and I too am cold. It seems like the room is the coldest at that time too.

thanks again. Maybe you should join us in the insomnia group...those who can't sleep. There is a thread we all use.

Kathi

Hi Elizabeth. Thanks so much for the valuable information on temperature and sleep...especially about the SCN. I think mine must be messed up and doesn't know when to tell me to sleep. Those of us who have horrible insomnia are looking for every possible reason we are not sleeping and then how to fix it. I just bought the zzz glasses which are supposed to trick your body into producting melatonin. Your body thinks its nite(which it is) and keeps the blue lites away from disturbing melatonin production.

I awaken a 4 so often and I too am cold. It seems like the room is the coldest at that time too.

thanks again. Maybe you should join us in the insomnia group...those who can't sleep. There is a thread we all use.

Kathi

Mine is certainly messe up, that is why I am searching for answer - I have to do soemthing with my brain that is over drive!  :yippee:

The question now is what do we need to do to reduce the drop in temperature around 4 o'clock?

would a before going to bed snack help, would eating certain essentail acids help.......

Sleeping well is key in our recovery so lests start finding asnwers :thumbsup: