Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Tart Cherry for Insomnia

[...]

Dr. Oz recommended it for sleep and the woman at the health food store also told me it helps your body make melatonin.

I'm going to order some from vitacost.com. I couldn't find organic tart cherry juice, only organic black cherry juice. I don't know if it works as well. It should be organic because cherries are one of the worst fruits for pesticide.

I didn't notice any great help from it last nite. Will try again tonite.

I use it often, but the effects on my sleep are negligiable. I just like how it tastes (and it does help with muscle inflamattion, too)!

I drink a glass or two every night. I love it. I don't know if it helps with sleep or not but I am sleeping 8 hours (I wake briefly one or twice) and sometimes 9! So maybe it is? :)  It can't hurt.

I also juice 1 bunch kale, 1 cucumber, 4 stalks celery, 2 green apples, 2 oranges, handful carrots, chunk of ginger, half lemon, 2 small golden beets and 1 small purple bell pepper every morning. (all from whole foods, all organic)  The juice is yummy and I know it helps with healing.

HI. Do you juice it or use a vitamix blender? Do you use the peel of the lemon? That sounds like a large volume of juice. Do you drink it all? How many ounces?

Do you think black cherry juice(organic) also works? I have had it the last 2 nites and don't think it did much. Also had to get up to use the bathroom twice. Then I couldn't go back to sleep.

I don't know about black cherry. 

I didn't drink my two glasses of tart cherry and I tossed and turned all night.  Coincidence?

You can bet I'll drink it tonight :)

I tried it and didn't see any improvement in sleep. I wish I had the time/engergy/money to juice. I barely have time to shove a poptart in my mouth as I run out the door after getting the baby dressed for the sitter....especially after nights of no sleep. I know eating better would help I just don't know where to start....

Hi Jittery. You know it does take a lot of time to eat right. I'm retired and I swear I spend most of my days cleaning veggies and making meals. When you do as much as possible organic it just takes more time...instead of packaged meals. I try to juice when I can but it seems like I either don't have time, don't want to take the time, or don't have all the fresh ingredients. You really do have to prepare. I was making green smoothies which are faster but I never made them taste very good. Of course my juice tastes yucky too. I just drink it cuz it's good for me and I think it may help sleep.

[a2...]

Benefits Of Tart Cherry Juice

Tart cherry juice is made from cherry fruits, which are known for their beneficial effects in the body. Frequent consumption of this particular juice promotes healthy body function as it provides numerous benefits. Further down are health benefits of consuming tart cherry juice.

1. Antioxidant effects

Most vegetable and fruit juices contain high amounts of antioxidants and the same applies for the tart cherry juice. Antioxidants have and important function of attacking dangerous free radicals that are the key cause of various health complications like atherosclerosis and cancer. Studies have established that consuming small amounts of tart cherry juice daily provides similar benefits of eating 20 different vegetables and fruit. In fact, this juice is believed to contain more antioxidants as compared to other antioxidant rich foods like carrots, watermelon, tomatoes and peas.

2. Arthritis relief

Regular tart cherry juice consumption can greatly benefit people with pain caused by arthritis. In alternative medicine, patients with arthritis are advised to consume cherry juice for relief. This particular benefit is due to the presence of anthocyanins in cherries, which are capable of providing pain relieving effects similar to taking aspirin.

3. Treats gout

People with gout can also reap the health benefits of taking cherry juice. The anthocyanins that exist in cherries assist to dissolve crystals of uric acid formed in the joints. The damaged of the joints caused by these crystals of uric acid can also be repaired through frequent intake of tart cherry juice.

4. Anti-inflammatory effects

Tart cherry juice helps to alleviate inflammation usually experienced after working out and it also lowers muscle pain. The anthocyanins and antioxidants have powerful antioxidant effects and thus provide this benefit.

Tart cherry juice contains sorbitol and this can lead to bacterial overgrowth in the small intestines and also hinder fructose absorption in the body.

By: Lucy Pinder.

Hope that helps,

Billy.

[a2...]

Thanks Sigma. Sorry it didn't mention anything about sleep.

Yes, I noticed that too.

It must not work well for Insomnia.

I have never tried it.. but thought about it.

Hi all. Thanks so much everyone. I am taking the organic tart cherry concentrate. I have insomnia as well as arthritis. I am hoping to sleep better. I really love the recipes.

Bear

I had two glasses today and I could barely drive home from my son's house this evening as I am soooooo sleepy!

I think it helps me.

Would like to know how others who are just now trying it feel after a few nights of it.

Hi all. Night 2 with 1oz of tart cherry concentrate. I was sleepy at bedtime. I slept better. Not perfect, but better. I am hoping for ongoing improvement.

Bear

• 1 month later...
Apparently cherries can naturally produce melatonin, so this is something I'm going to consider. I've tried remeron with no success - it actually made me worse off sometimes.