Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Trazadone or ambien CR for one time dose

[...]

I hit  wall and have the dreaded insomnia back, up since 3:00 a.m. and need to get sleep tonight, i have both trazadone and ambien CR, which would you take as a 1 time dose, please dont blast me, i am very sensitive today with minimal sleep, cant cope, need to take care of a family, a good supportive husband, just one time dose, i know, its sort of a laugh, thats what the doc said when he got us all into this mess, but i am close to the end and have been going too fast, i am holding at 4mg V for awile til this all settles down, but tonight i will sleep with one or the other meds, i just need input on which one to make the best decision.

spk

SPK,

If you are using the Ashton Manual here is a quote from it regarding the drugs you are considering:

"Hypnotics and sedatives. Most other hypnotics and sedatives act in a similar way to benzodiazepines, including barbiturates, chloral derivatives (Noctec), ethchlorvynol (Placidyl), zopiclone (Zimovane, Imovane), zolpidem (Ambien), zaleplon (Sonata) and, incidentally, alcohol. None of these drugs should be used as alternative sleeping pills or sleeping draughts during benzodiazepine withdrawal. All can cause a similar type of dependence and some are more toxic than benzodiazepines.

If sleep is really a problem, a small dose of a tricyclic antidepressant with sedative effects (see antidepressants, above) is a possible option. Alternatively, an antihistamine with sedative effects (e.g. diphenylhydramine [benadryl], promethazine [Phenergan]) may be used temporarily. Neither antidepressants nor antihistamines act by the same mechanisms as benzodiazepines."

Here is a link to the Ashton Manual: http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

My understanding is that Trazadone is a tricyclic antidepressant but you can check with you doctor or do a search on the Internet.

The way I'm reading Ashton is the she is against Ambien but if necessary she is ok with a tricyclic antidepressant for a short period of time.

I'm taking Amitriptyline which is also a tricyclic antidepressant for sleep while I taper from Clonazepam.  My doctor told me it could take 2 to 4 weeks for the Amitriptyline to take effect.  I was lucky because it only took 4 or 5 days.  I took Lunesta with the Amitriptyline until the Amitriptyline took effect. I didn't have to taper from the Lunesta because I was on it for such a short time but since meds effect us differently I don't know what 1 night of Ambien would do in your case. If you take Trazadone for 1 night will it be effective for you to get sleep?

Hope this helps.

Pacey

Thank you sooo much, I am going to take the trazadone just tonight, no other addictions needed, thanks for the link Ashton....

Thank you sooo much, I am going to take the trazadone just tonight, no other addictions needed, thanks for the link Ashton....

SPK,

You're welcome.  I should have mentioned in my post that another member here helped me when I was in a similar situation.  So he really should get the credit.  I didn't want to refer you to his post or quote him without his permission so just wanted to refer you to the Ashton Manual and tell you my experience.

Wishing you restful sleep tonight.

Pacey

well i ended up taking 100 of trazadone at 9:00 and woke up at 12:00, couldn't believe it, so then i took benedryl 50 and didn't wake until 7:30, thats about 10 hrs, OMG i needed that badly, slightly groggy this a.m. but far better then the alternative. thanks again for your input.

spk

I slept again last night with the help of benedryl only, the cuts really got me this time, i am waiting another week before attempting a cut, i pay too high of a price to be cutting too fast, so many have said go slow, i will take the advise. have a great day

spk

SPK,

I think I'm going a too fast also.  Had a headache yesterday for a few hours.  I rarely get headaches so I'm pretty sure it's withdrawal.

I'm glad you got sleep last night with only benadryl.

You have a great day also and I hope you sleep well again tonight.

Pacey

Insomnia again last night, well i should say went to sleep on my own at about 9:45, woke 3:30 in a cold sweat, is it menopause or withdrawel, i dont know. I have some phenergan and wonder if i should take that tonight since the benedryl is not working so well anymore.

spk

[48...]

Traz made me super nauseated. I finally quit taking Traz and/or Remeron and I slept for about 5 hours last night without anything. I'm not going to take anymore sleep meds. I think sleep will eventually return.

Hang in there. Best of luck to you.

Much healing, lamberfn

SPK,

Sorry you didn't sleep last night.

I don't know anything about phenergan so can't be any help there.

Hope you get sleep tonight.

Pacey