Important Survey - Please Participate ×

man, am I ever sorry that I watched Requiem for a Dream, last night

[sw...]

Has anyone else ever seen that movie?  It came out in 2000 and an actress in it (very deservingly) got an Oscar nomination for her role.  The whole thing is about addiction, and this lady gets strung out on diet pills (amphetamines, though she never asks) by a quack who she trusts because he's a doctor.  The more she goes to him about side effects the more he perscribes her more pills, including Valium.  While a brilliantly written and directed movie, that was also the feel bad movie of the year and I even had a nightmare about it when I went to bed.

:P

I thought it was an excellent cautionary tale that shows how it can start out casually - or even legally - and end up ruining lives.  Hard to watch, though.  :(

Has anyone else ever seen that movie?  It came out in 2000 and an actress in it (very deservingly) got an Oscar nomination for her role.  The whole thing is about addiction, and this lady gets strung out on diet pills (amphetamines, though she never asks) by a quack who she trusts because he's a doctor.  The more she goes to him about side effects the more he perscribes her more pills, including Valium.  While a brilliantly written and directed movie, that was also the feel bad movie of the year and I even had a nightmare about it when I went to bed.

Synchronicity! I have never seen it but I was just on a site that referenced it. *It sounds good but I've been having some nightmares lately, so I think I'll pass for now.  :)

I thought it was an excellent cautionary tale that shows how it can start out casually - or even legally - and end up ruining lives.  Hard to watch, though.  :(

oh yeah, the movie was fantastic!  But seeing it was about the last thing I needed while still in heavy withdrawal.  I keep picturing that poor lady completely unwittingly hooked on benzos and amphetamines and taking extra pills out of desperation seeking some sort of relief while her doctor just keeps perscribing away.  

Then I wound up having some dream that I was her and that I was hooked on 45mg of valium a day and I needed to taper but that I only had enough of a finite supply to taper for a few days, or something, and it got confusing and the dream kept going on in my head even after I woke up.  

While a lot of my life coming off benzos has been a nightmare, that was the first nightmare I had had about coming off benzos.  ;)

Synchronicity! I have never seen it but I was just on a site that referenced it. *It sounds good but I've been having some nightmares lately, so I think I'll pass for now.  :)

ha, probably a good call.  It's brilliant, but really, really heavy, and the fact that it's so effective makes it that much harder to watch.

Hi Sweet G,

Yes...I saw that movie several years ago, when my oldest son invited me to watch it with him.  I had no idea what I was in for.  This was before I knew anything about benzos, even though I had been on klonopin for years.  It would be "interesting" to go back and watch it again on this side of withdrawal...but I don't think I could.  It is one of the hardest movies I ever watched.  The last scene stuck in my mind for a really long time. (I don't think my son realized it was coming...VERY uncomfortable for both of us).

I also remember the very sad scenes where the mom wanted so badly to fit into that red dress...and of course, how her son would take advantage of her in order to get money.

Yeah...not a very good movie to watch in withdrawal.  Just typing about it gives me the heebie jeebies.  I hope it drifts out of your mind soon!

~Leena :smitten: