Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Something simple that has helped me..

[Ju...]

I am one of those people who falls asleep easily, but wakes up at 2-2:30 wide awake with racing thoughts.  Someone I work with mentioned counting backward from 100 as a way to soothe the anxiety of waking up and having those racing thoughts.  It's not complicated so you're not thinking TOO hard, but slightly more complicated than counting upward from 1-100.  I can't believe after all of my problems with insomnia that this little trick helps so much, but it does.

When I find my mind racing and interrupting the counting, I go back up to the next multiple of 10 and start  down again.  Sometimes, I visualize the numbers in different fonts or colors too.  Sometimes I don't think the counting will work, because I'm almost down to 1, and the next thing you know, I'm out.

Hope this helps someone out there!

(1 mg klonopin for 2 mos, 2 mg for 2 mos, prescribed for insomnia...1 mo taper, benzo free since 7/5/11)

thanks Julie, when I was reading your post I caught myself falling asleep. :)  It was a good point.  what I do is go back in time when I was really happy like my childhood and try to remember all those precious times.  Puts a smile on my face and relaxes me.  Linder

Thanks Julie,

Got to 100...starting at 1000....he he.

Want to sleep, want to sleep.....

Sometimes I reverse psych myself and say.."I'm gonna stay up all night" and turn on the TV. Next thing I know, clunk.

Or I listen to my self hypnosis tapes I made.

Or I cry myself to sleep thinking about my dog's happy face and all the good times

we had.

Or I do a full body relaxation technique where i start at my scalp and work my way down relaxing every little muscle....I sometimes fall asleep in the middle somewhere.

Think I have insomnia problems? LOL...can't take drugs...see my Progress Log on advice I got on dangers of not enough sleep from my Doc....Wish he could have told me this when i was c/t the Neurotin..duh. "No just sit back and make $120/hr from my ins while I suffer" is my minds sarcastic conversation with him. he he.

ButterflyEffect (where is my warm cocoon?)

Julie, I do this too! But I start at 1000 and go backwards. A therapist suggested it to me five or six years ago, when I thought I'd tried every trick in the book. It works most of the time! I do the same thing, when I get sidetracked I back up and count again. I was going to post about this but had forgotten, so am glad you did.  :)

Libby