Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Life threatening/damaging insomnia

[Gl...]

I'm still having major problems with insomnia again.  It seems to cycle and go for a week and then stop for a week and it never stabilizes.  I don't sleep for sometimes 5 days at a time..0 sleep at all.  Not even a minute.  Admittedly, sometimes I will take Norco to help me sleep because I can't take it anymore after being up for 2+ days.  I know this is probably bad, but I don't know any other options.  I figure I can use the Norco to help me sleep during the benzo withdrawal, but not often enough to get addicted, and then quit once I quit the benzo's.  Either that or I would drink red wine to try to help me sleep.  The problem is I feel like I need something to make the suffering end because it doesn't end on its own.  Insomnia is a form of torture.  Does anyone have some suggestions?

You are right, it is torture. I just posted about trying to stop drinking wine while in benzo withdrawal and it is making it even harder to sleep. I don't want to discourage you but at 6 mos off I am still not sleeping more than 2 hrs. Some members have suggested I need to stop drinking wine if I want to heal. I am going to do that, but it is making sleep even harder. I don't know what Norco is, but you might try benedryl. It works for some people and has the added benefit of being an antihistamine which can help with allergies.

Unisom is made from another ingredient than benedryl and that might help you as well. I have tried many natural supplements and none worked except melatonin and tryptophan and they only help, not like a sleeping pill. I use 2.5mg of melatonin from source naturals, sublingual cuz it works fast. Tryptophan helps some people, but as many members have told me, it just takes time. I personally could not function after 5 days with no sleep and had to resort to benedryl. Now I suspect it may be causing me bad joint pain and arthritis and will have to stop to see.

Hang in there. No one can deny this is really, really hard with such bad insomnia.

Kathi

Thanks a bunch for the encouragement.  Lately I've been sleeping 1-2 hours a night which is better than nothing.  I can be content with that while withdrawing from benzos.  I'm glad I've made it this far and plan to make my next cut pretty soon.  it is more like taking naps/power naps but my body seems to be able to handle it at least for now which is good I'm just not 100% but I can function at least.

I just wanted to write to say hang in there. I know what you are going through. The exact same thing is happening to me. I am one month out from my last dose. I slept 0 hours last night...literally not one minute. I have a six month old to take care of and she needs her mommy back. I'm scared to death. I hope it gets better for you.

Thanks a bunch for the encouragement.  Lately I've been sleeping 1-2 hours a night which is better than nothing.  I can be content with that while withdrawing from benzos.  I'm glad I've made it this far and plan to make my next cut pretty soon.  it is more like taking naps/power naps but my body seems to be able to handle it at least for now which is good I'm just not 100% but I can function at least.

I'm glad you're taking well to 1-2 hours a night... I know from my own experience that no sleep at all for days, or even weeks, does a LOT more damage than 1-2 hours. It's as if the brain knows it's only getting a little and digs in as hard as it can.

You were more encouraging than you know with your response to my post; I hope that my belief that you're going to get gradually better sleep from that 2 hour mark is something in return. You will!

i also barely sleep and it kind of sucks finding out some people can be  a month without it and still cant sleep. its driving me nuts. especially bc i feel tired but when i lay down my mind is going a mile a minute and i am up all night.. :-\

Are you totally off the benzos Ihart? Did you take them for sleep? I just hoped to be somewhat better after 7 mos out. It is so miserable lying awake all nite. I listen to my sleep tracks and that helps...but is sure doesn't make you feel better in the morning.

Why can't someone come up with a sleep solution? You just wonder how long you can safely go without sleep.

Sorry you have to share in this misery. I am pretty good with other symptoms...just major insomnia.

Kathi

12+yrs temazapam and ambien for sleep. Off since 1/15/11

Hey, GlynG.  I can definitely empathize with you about getting little to no sleep.  There was a stretch there for a couple of weeks recently that I was getting only about 2-3 hours on average.  I literally felt like I was going to crawl out of my skin with the amount of anxiety I was feeling during that time.  Definitely don't discount the ideas of trying relaxation routines before you go to sleep and see if that helps (i.e. taking a bath, mediation, listening to music, & etc.).  I thought that sounded a little hokey, but it has worked for me.  I also take 300mg of Chelated Magnesium and I think that might be helping me as well.

Maltesemom, I can also empathize with your situation.  I ritually drank 1-2 glasses of wine each evening for the past few years.  I stopped one night and noticed that my sleep was better.  I've since cut out all caffeine and alcohol from my diet for the past few weeks and it seems to be working okay for now.  Man oh man, do I miss my wine.  Now that I think about it I probably was drinking a little too regularly.  When I'm healed from this experience I'm going to try to balance that out a little better.

Thanks Arcelus. I shouldn't have been drinking every day! It is just a habit you get into. I gave up the wine only because I am hoping it will help me sleep. It is a big sacrifice for me as my husband has "cocktails" every evening. Tonite we are going out with friends. They will have wine...I will have water. Not quite as fun.

If I ever get to a place of good sleep, I will probably go back to occassional wine with friends...not on a regular basis. Hope that can happen, but hope I can sleep a lot more.

I've had a headache all day. I usually blame them on wine, but not this time. No wine for 20 days! A milestone for me. I'd like to give it at least 6 mos. Hope I can do it...especially when at our timeshare at the beach next month.

This insomnia is just the worst!