Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

OCD - Anyone Have It?

[...]

• 3 years later...

Yes.  I have had this for most of my life.  It hit me at age 8, and is something I still struggle with as an adult.  It is the reason I took benzos in the first place. 

Thank you for this post.

I don't know if I have it, but I do tend to have recurring, unwanted, scary and obsessive thoughts.  Sometimes they become very repitive.  I find myself pulling it up short by telling my brain to shut-up.  It sometimes works, but not always.  Is that OCD?

i have ocd.... and adult adhd.....im almost 60 years old....as i grew older the ocd lessened in intensity...but the adult adhd did not.

cheers lis

I have it and I am 59....didn't get it till I started taking benzos though.  Then I started to obscess about going out the door....sit and think about it, check my watch repeatedly.  Its a way of dealing with the panic.  Anybody else have the checking the time OCD?

I have that too sagemom (the costant obsessive thoughts) I do exactly the same try to tell my brain to forget/stop it, but so hard, a really horrible symptom. Good question is this a form OCD

Just wondering if anyone with ocd found it got far worse while taking benzos before withdrawing . I have ocd too but it is so much worse on benzosand got much worse about 2 weeks after I started benzos anyone else have an experience like this?

Ok so that is interesting . Mmir the benzo actually gave you ocd? Was this before ever tapering but just while taking it? Was this interdose wd or tolerance or were you like that most of the time while on benzos?

My generalized anxiety disorder that had been effectively managed for about 17 years on Imipramine took a different twist after I started taking Ativan which was originally prescribed when I had an inner ear problem. 

We moved last spring, so when I recently went to a new psychiatrist he said I have generalized anxiety disorder with obsessive compulsive features.  Trust me when I say this only began after I started taking Ativan......I was having more and more symptoms...would go back to my G.P. who said, Anxiety, take more ativan....more symptoms.  I started keeping a journal of daily meds, food intake, and symptoms in October 2010 trying to figure what the heck was happening to me.    New psych doc. thought is was obsessive.  All I know is I'm glad I did, because 3 different docs kept telling me I was having anxiety and to take more Ativan more often....when, in fact, I can now look back at the journals, recognize tolerance and interdose withdrawal and symptoms as they occurred/worsened over time.

In addition to keeping the journal, I'm an R.N. and  I became obsessive  about what was happening to me and spent hours and hours researching symptoms on the internet.  Hypochondria set in.    At least it led me finally to this site and opened my eyes to my real problem.  I still can't believe as a nurse,  I didn't recognize it sooner.  All the docs, though, didn't realize I was having rebound anxiety, etc.

Now I tend to check/double check that the doors are locked at night, the stove is off.  I'm intolerant of things not being in their "proper place."  I don't like any dirty dishes around, or a picture hanging crooked on the wall.  I obsess about every physical symptom I'm having.    I was never like that before benzos.

hey there

I had severe ocd for many years and when i started on this stuff it disappeared but the symptoms of withdrawal are masking it give me ocd any day other than this crap

Lizzy

I never had ocd tendencies.... But now tapering i obcess about my withdrawl symptoms.. I fear there is more actuallty wrong with me an i spend hours diagnosing myself on th internet..then the real panic sets in.....

I never had any sign of OCD until I started taking psych meds, then I became really obsessive but usually just about one thing at a time.  I would just obsess about that one thing with repetitive thoughts on a constant track for days or weeks at a time.

Since withdrawal it's been different, worse but not so focused on just one thing.  And it waxes and wanes along with other withdrawal symptoms, goes down when I am holding my taper, goes back up when I cut again. 

I'm really hoping once I'm finally off all meds that my brain will mostly heal and it will go away completely someday.

I straight up have it and it sucks. I actually have worse problems and I've been dealing with OCD for a long time (since I was 18) so it's not my biggest concern, but it would be nice if it didn't flare up since I'm constantly working to keep it under control. One of the worst things that ever had to happen.

Can OCD be just obsessive thoughts??  I never had this either before benzos, but I noticed that I started a pattern of obsessively thinking of things to the point that it consumes me and is exaughsting.  At times it has been good things, such as projects but that would eventually die down, but still consumed me. Other times it would be stressors in my life that would rack my brain day and night.  Now I am obsessing over this stupid withdrawal All the time when I could be doing other things.  The stressors that bothered me before barely bother me because I am too consumed with all this benzo Cr*p.

[d9...]

Annie

I feel exactly the same so obsessed with the withdrawal its all i can think about and how dreadful i feel etc.  whether i will get better whether or not i have brain damage it goes on and on and the more i think about it the more anxious i get like near hysterical.

Lizzy