Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I've found help for my insomnia

[...]

Hello all

I know what I'm going to say will go against the grain of what a lot of people believe here. I was not able to cope with the daily craziness of my Valium taper and no sleep. I gave up and added 500 Neurontin and 10mg Ambien at night. I sleep 9 good hours. I'm currently at 5mg Valium..I cut 1mg every two weeks. I realize that when the Valium is done I will have to contend with the Neurontin and Ambien. At least I'm semi-functional now.

Ajax

You may end up regretting this in the long run but I surely understand the desperation to get some sleep.  Hope this plan works out for you.

As long as you know there is w/d involved with both of those drugs which can be just as hairy as benzo withdrawal...in case your doctor didn't inform you of that.

I'm probably different than most people in this, I've used Neurontin (for pain) and Ambien before, for extended periods of time and was able just to stop with about a three day period of bad insomnia. It was the Xanax that caused me my current problems. I understand what other people have gone through with these other drugs.

Hi Ajax,

Why do you not look into Trazodone? It seems to knock most people out on here, including myself, and is not nearly as dangerous as those others. Hope you find what's healthiest.

Sorry to hear that. Just out of curiosity, what doses did you try? I have to take 100-125mgs.

As long as you're sleeping now then that's the most important thing, you need to heal.

Hi Ajax,

Why do you not look into Trazodone? It seems to knock most people out on here, including myself, and is not nearly as dangerous as those others. Hope you find what's healthiest.

Hi Holly,

Your comments are prescriptive, it's a fine line and we understand how easy it is to cross it, but it might help to read our policy

Pam

What does prescriptive mean? That i'm trying to "prescribe" it to her? Well.... it is a fact that it's not as dangerous/addictive, and that's all I said. But ok whatever.

What does prescriptive mean? That i'm trying to "prescribe" it to her? Well.... it is a fact that it's not as dangerous/addictive, and that's all I said. But ok whatever.

Hi Holly,

Here is a statement from our policy, I hope it helps clear it up for you.  As I mentioned, it's tough to know how to phrase things so it doesn't appear as if we're encouraging someone to do or try something, so every so often the team will post reminders, no big deal.  ;)

Although members are encouraged to relate their personal experiences, post options, and express opinions, it is inappropriate to urge other members into particular actions or inactions regarding their medical treatment.

[c7...]

We are all different, so different medications will affect each one of us in a unique way. For me personally, I found that NO drug was going to help me sleep. Any drug I ever put in my body... Remeron being the #1 enemy, followed by benzos of course, but then Traz and other Z type sleep drugs were all just as bad.... I even had trouble with Poppy, Valerian, Passionflower etc. I'm sure I'm just super sensitive so I've been toughing it out for over 7 months. When I hit 5 months I started to have a few nights of 8 hrs of sleep here and there. Those nights are more frequent now at 7 months. I hope and pray that I am doing the right thing by just riding it out. I know for me, there really isn't an alternative, my body hates drugs... I also know a few people on the benzo sites who have had good luck with sleep meds (well AD's or antipsychotics prescribed off label e.g. Traz, Seroquel, Elavil, Remeron). Each person has to blaze their own trail. In the end, I don't know if a person can be on these meds indefinitely so a plan will have to be made to taper 'later' at some point in time when the withdrawal is long over.

Sleep is so critical to healing, I know if I was sleeping consistently by now that I would be writing my success story. I'm not judging anyone who has to take something to sleep through this, it is a debilitating symptom - insomnia. Ugh. I HATE it!!!!!!

I guess what people are trying to say here is that there are pros and cons to each option.... Weigh them and move forward with a plan. Wishing you much love and success in your recovery. Melo x

Hi Hollyms

I understand what Pamster is saying. In regard to your question I used 25-50 Trazodone. I didn't really sleep and felt a bad hangover during the day, so I just stopped it.

Problem with ambien is it loses its effectiveness quicker than other drugs and eventually you will need to hit it every 3 to 4 hours.  I was off all med and titrated down to nothing and after a year I am back to taking ambien again as I just cant cope without sleep.  I know where you are and I have been there.  I took traz from 12.5 to 300 mg and it knocks my socks off, but it also causes a lot of anxiety.  What works for me now is 1/2 of a unisom for about 3 to 4 hours and then another 1/2 .  Next night a 5mb ambien or a cr.  I hate these drugs, but simply cant live without sleep and I tried every damn thing under the sun to naturally sleep, but I fear I am wired to not sleep.  I too quit ambien several times with nothing of a side effect other than  ,,,,,,,,, you guesed it INSOMNIA!!!! I have also c/t trazadone and got sick real sick.  Good luck to you all an dI hope an pray eventually sleep will come back.

Ambien is highly addictive and made me depressed and very emotional. Now that I'm off it after a 6 year struggle life is so much better. I have struggled with insomnia all my life . My mom even told me that as a baby I was not a good sleeper. I'm so happy that Im off Ambien it is an evil drug. I fine that Elavil low dosages gives me the best night of sleep although some people have had horrible effects while on it. To each its own but Ambien is BAD news.

Good luck and we are all here for you.

Blessed78