Important Survey - Please Participate ×

trazadone

[ju...]

hi everyone

i was wondering if anyone new of anything bad with trazadone.  or anything i shoudl know. i use it for sleep  i take  150 mg  . at night.

thanks

carol ;)

Hi Carol,

I am not that familar with trazadone other than it's an antidepressant, but you said you take it to sleep? Maybe someone else will be able to help you with more information.

T2

Hi Carol,

I don't know anything about that drug, are you having problems with it?  Researching on the internet should give you some information. 

Hi Carol

How long have you been on the trazodone?

I was on 200mgs trazodone for 6months (along with 20mg citralopram while I have being doing a valium taper, which I am now almost finished...  ::) )

I ended up feeling completely spaced out as if I was on the moon - I couldn't sit still and my eyes were always glazed over. Towards the time when my doctor took me off it c/t I was feeling like I was drunk, I woke up with a horrible dry mouth and felt groggy all day - I resembled a zombie!!! I looked terrible - big rings round my eyes, skin dull and tired looking.

When I went to see the doc about it - he took me off the trazodone right away - saying that I had a build up in my system. I didn't sleep for 3 days when I first came off it. (Remember it is giving you an artificial sleep!!)

I was originally prescribed the trazodone for suicidal feelings while I lay awake til 5am every night after beginning a withdrawal from valium mis-use for 3 years.It is an A/D but also a sedative. I reckon you should be careful - its a strong drug and you are on a high dosage. In an ideal world I should have tapered safely from trazodone but I could hardly see; I failed an eye test and have had one since and passed - do not stop it c/t. Everyone is different though - and the bad effects didn't arise until about 6months of use. Just my experience.

Do you not feel really groggy on it?? Are you taking any other meds?

Take care  :)

thanks for the reply

I think i have been on them about 6 monthes.  My eye sight has changed and i looked wasted all the time.  i did try to quit taking them once C/T  along with ativan and i was  a space cadet.  thye told me i needed to  take them so i can sleep.  and that there not addictive and ther very safe.  hmmmmmmmmm

thanks

again

carol 

I've been on trazadone for 10 years. First given .25 for sleep, then upped to .5, then past 8 years have been on 100 mg.

Once I am benzo free for 6 months to a year, I plan on tapering the trazadone.

Petter Breggin's book, Your Drug May Be Your Problem, states that abrupt discontinuation of Trazadone can result in severe w/d symptoms, similar to abrupt discontinuation of benzo's.

I never had any problems with the Traz...I just want to wean off and see how life is without it. But again, I won't try that until I'm off benzo's for a while.

Before my doctor put me on traz, he tried ambien and other stuff which gave me awful side effects.  He never gave me a benzo, though.  It wasn't until I moved to a different state that a doc gave me those nasty little terrors.

Funny how one drug will cause problems for one person, and not another person.  One thing we all have in common, though, is that benzo's do a number on all of us.

Best wishes to you.

Hi,

I've been on 150 mg of trazadone for at least 10 years.  My doctor told me I could just abruptly stop it.  I tried and the only thing I experienced was insomnia, but I wanted to sleep so am still on it.  I had a friend who was on a cruise taking 150 mg of trazadone and ran out on her long, long cruise. The only withdrawal she experienced again was insomnia.  I intend to go off trazadone some time when I feel like I've had some sleep.  I don't sleep well anyway, so now is not the time for me to go without it.  For years it worked great, now it helps me fall asleep, but does not help me stay asleep.

thanks guys

i also need it for sleep. with out it i cant sleep.  last night i had to take an extra 2. i am assuming its becasue of the tapering off the ativan.

thanks

huggs

carol

Maybe that...or maybe you are starting to build a tolerance up to them.  :idiot: Its a possibility. I know my tolerance with valium built up very quickly within months and when I first got prescribed trazodone it was the same, only 50mgs a day for about a week, then the dose got upped, I couldn't feel any sedative effect until I got put on 200mgs. Makes you think...

When I first took them I loved them - I couldn't believe how good they were for sleep. I think that they are definitely mentally addictive as you are relying on them every night to sleep, plus there has to be some sort of withdrawal if you stop taking it - you are stopping getting chemicals fired up to your brain in the form of anti-depressant. Stopping A/D's abruptly is never recommended!

I used to wake up with a really sore head towards the end of taking them aswell. It was like I had had a deep sleep and not even turned over during the night but I never felt refreshed when I woke up!

I decided to get off trazadone now.  It helps put me to sleep, but I rarely stay asleep more than an hour or two anyway.  Last night, I went from 150 mg to 100 mg.  I had no problem, in fact slept a little better.  My doctor said you could just go off of it with no problem, but I tried about a year ago and after 3 days of not sleeping, went back on it.  I am going to stay at the 100 mg for a few days, then 50 mgs for a few days and then off.  The doctor did say though that it could be helping my anxiety, but I really doubt it since no antidepressant ever helped me with anxiety and actually had the opposite effect. 

• 2 months later...
Trazadone is classified as an antidepressant but is rarely used for that purpose now.  It is often used off label as a sleep medication, due to it's sedating effect.  I have been taking Trazadone 150 to 200 mg. since I got off off Restoril and Xanax as of 11-29-07.  The Trazadone helps me get to sleep rather than tossing and turning due to an overstimulated nervous system.  It also helps me get back to sleep more quicky when I wake up.  That being said, I don't like the idea, personally for me, of taking any medication, and plan to taper the trazadone.  My doctor has recommended slowly going down 25 mg. at a time.

• 11 months later...

Hi.  I have been having insomnia the last few cuts and my psyc said I could take trazodone if my taper off valium continues to impact my sleep in the final months of tapering off valium.  Anybody out there have opinions on trazodone?  I see this thread was started about a year ago.  I have some stressful travel planned next month, dysfunctional family visit, home repairs to make for a relative while travelling... just wondering if its harmful to have an occasional trazodone to deal with major insomnia, jet lag... as opposed to taking every night?

By the time I travel next month in July, I'll likely be down to about 1mg of valium.   I'm already starting to have sleep issues now at 2mg and just under, for three weeks now, getting up at 4:00AM and can't get back to sleep, but so far only about three or four times in the last ten days.  If it worsens, I may need to consider the option of adding something for sleep in these final taper months.  Any thoughts?

Hi.  I have been having insomnia the last few cuts and my psyc said I could take trazodone if my taper off valium continues to impact my sleep in the final months of tapering off valium.  Fortunately, the psyc did not agree with my internist who wanted me to try an SSRI which I think would only lead to more anxiety and insomnia.

Anybody out there have opinions on trazodone?  I see this thread was started about a year ago.  I have some stressful travel planned next month, dysfunctional family visit, home repairs to make for a relative while travelling... just wondering if its harmful to have an occasional trazodone to deal with major insomnia, jet lag... as opposed to taking every night?

By the time I travel next month in July, I'll likely be down to about 1mg of valium.   I'm already starting to have sleep issues now at 2mg and just under, for three weeks now, getting up at 4:00AM and can't get back to sleep, but so far only about three or four times in the last ten days.  If it worsens, I may need to consider the option of adding something for sleep in these final taper months.  Any thoughts?

Hi Vertigo - I used Trazedone for many years.  I stopped it at the same time as I cut the benzo's and fentanyl.  So it is sorta hard to distinguish which w/d symptom was from what.  I did get a tolerance to them.  I ended up at 300 mg a night, and up to 2 mg klonopin.  Other times it was with seroquel.  I just kept building up a tolerance, except I didn't know what tolerance was at the time.  Apparently, neither did my doctors.  When I started cutting them, I had terrible problems sleeping.  I was going around telling people that people (me) can die from total exhaustion and lack of sleep.  I really believed I was going to die.  Now, if I sleep, I sleep.  I try to listen to my body.  I stopped the Traz last fall, stopped fentanyl in Dec 08, stopped klonopin Feb 8 2009.  About 1 week ago I had my first memorable dream in years.  I used to wake up occasionally and remember parts of a dream.  That all had stopped while I was on the drugs.  I only had occasional nightmares.  Now I am waking up sometimes with a smile on my face - very different. 

I listen to relaxing music, light candles before bed.  If I watch TV or use the computer too late, it interferes with my sleep.  I need to put my mind in a relaxed mode.  Taking a hot relaxing shower helps.  Also, bedroom activities can help release nervous tension and make falling asleep easier.

Thanks Blueridge. I totally agree that a warm bath or shower is relaxing and I also stopped internet surfing if I wake up in the middle of the night.  I also avoid stressful emails at night before bed.

I've read about some people using seroquel for sleep too.  Also, I've seen some use mirtazapine.  It seems there's side effects with all of them.  I am going to try and avoid the trazodone but as a last resort, I may take the bottle with me on my travel next month.  I've read that its important to taper slowly off traz too.

Glad you're sleeping better now.

Trazadone was my "gateway" drug, leading to two decades of med dependency.  If you just a tree by its fruit... 

There are better ways of dealing with insomnia:  1) changing your expectations (it's okay to not sleep well sometimes and you are strong enough to get through long periods of insomia) and 2) lifestyle and supplemements can tip the scale in your favor.

Try GABA, melatonin, Niacinamide, and L-Theanine.

My two cents...

I was prescribed trazodone years ago.  I was taking it in conjunction with other atidepressants.  The Trazodone was to be taken at night due to it's sedating effects.  I stayed on it for awhile, and it certainly put me to sleep.  I remember waking up feeling rather beat down though.  

Now as far as coming off the drug... well I don't remember having much of an issue at all.  

If I were in your shoes I would leave your brain alone and let it cope on it's own.  Unfortunately that sounds like it may involve minimal sleep for a period of time where you would prefer not to have to cope with that obstacle.  

Everybody is different, but in my case I just can't justify treating the withdrawal effects of one drug with another.  I would imagine your mind will have to face this challenge on it's own eventually and learn to deal with it without synthetic alteration of your serotonin reuptake system.  I think we're all confident here that with time our brains will adjust once given the chance.  I say let it run it's course... Wishing you the finest of sleep

-Budgie  

Just a note on the post previous to mine.. I haven't read a whole lot about supplements but I am rather confident that straight GABA supplements are unable to cross the blood brain barrier thus are rather innefective.. not to mention, the problem that we are having in withdrawal, is not a shortage of GABA but more of the downregulation of it's receptor. 

As I understand it, even if Gaba supplements could cross the blood brain barrier and get into the synapse they wouldn't be of any use. 

I'm not well read on the other supplements that are mentioned.

Just a note on the post previous to mine.. I haven't read a whole lot about supplements but I am rather confident that straight GABA supplements are unable to cross the blood brain barrier thus are rather innefective.. not to mention, the problem that we are having in withdrawal, is not a shortage of GABA but more of the downregulation of it's receptor. 

As I understand it, even if Gaba supplements could cross the blood brain barrier and get into the synapse they wouldn't be of any use. 

I'm not well read on the other supplements that are mentioned.

This is my understanding also.  I had posted a link under another topic to a very technical medical article about some of this stuff, but I think it backfired and scared people. All that technical medical talk can become overwhelming and scary, so I won't post it again.  I think your body will sleep when it must sleep, just be sure to maintain the best environment for sleep. 

I don't know (and to be really honest...  I don't much care) if GABA crosses the blood-brain barrier.  I only know it helps me sleep.  Sorry to be so anti-intellectual, but I judge things only by their efficacy in my own circumstance.  When it comes to supplements, you have to try things on for size and go with what works for you.  Don't let the research confuse you -- something either works for you, or it doesn't.

I recommend avoiding Trazadone, and trying other, non-pharmaceutical options.  For me, they've proven far more effective.

Good luck to you!

• 3 weeks later...
i took 50mg of trazodone at night for about 4 years. i quit cold turkey when i got pregnant with my first child and never really noticed any withdrawal. the last time i was given trazodone was during a hospitalization in may but it gave me really bad headaches. it never did that when i took it before but i guess our bodies change?

I use the seroquel for sleep and it works fairly well. Only a low dose though. I also know its non addictive and not to hard to come off of. Yes requires a taper but not a long one. So... I know it can be taken prn as needed and that's my two cents

Hi Samatha,

I was prescribed trazadone about 1 year ago by a 'locum' doctor for Insomnia at quite a high dose. I would not personally recommend it but we are all different. I stopped on my own volition after 2 days and saw my regular doctor who prescribed Zoplicone. Trazodone as you indicated is essentially an anti-depressant with sedative properties whilst Zoplicone is a hypnotic developed specifically for insomnia.

take care

Scorpion

Hi Samatha,

I was prescribed trazadone about 1 year ago by a 'locum' doctor for Insomnia at quite a high dose. I would not personally recommend it but we are all different. I stopped on my own volition after 2 days and saw my regular doctor who prescribed Zoplicone. Trazodone as you indicated is essentially an anti-depressant with sedative properties whilst Zoplicone is a hypnotic developed specifically for insomnia.

take care

Scorpion

Keep in mind that Zoplicone is also known as Lunesta and considered one of the Z-drugs that although chemically different from benzodiazepines, have the same effects on the body and act by the same mechanisms.

Hi Samatha,

take care

Scorpion

Scorpion,

We discourage the use of this class of drugs, they are known as a non-benzodiazepines which act on the same receptors as benzo's. 

Pam