Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Did benzo worsen depression

[Ma...]

[Ma...]

Hi i am a person with MDD and GAD the Anxious mix Depression both I had had a history of on and off benzo currently taking Klonopin and my Query is did benzo affect my underlying depression if it does? How , did benzo affect the depression symptoms negatively please give me some informations about the issues of using benzo while diagnosed and living with depression.

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, [[M...] said:

Hi i am a person with MDD and GAD the Anxious mix Depression both I had had a history of on and off benzo currently taking Klonopin and my Query is did benzo affect my underlying depression if it does? How , did benzo affect the depression symptoms negatively please give me some informations about the issues of using benzo while diagnosed and living with depression.

"Benzodiazepines are central nervous system depressants. One of the most common side effects of Xanax is depression, including feelings of sadness, hopelessness, and loss of interest. If you’re already depressed or have a history of depression, Xanax can actually make your depression worse."

As per Healthline.com

Do not alarm yourself though as even other meds like beta blockers and even anti-depressants can cause depression. Most of the depression I experienced came from the withdrawal process after a cold turkey. 

Do not rush a taper or do a cold turkey out of fear about a potential side effect of depression.

essants. One of the most common side effects of

Edited by [Cr...]

[Br...]

I think it depends on the benzo and the brand. Everyone in this forum reacts differently. For me the Accord brand is best and the other brands can not work and make me feel anxious. Maybe you should try different brands to see if there's one that makes you feel relaxed and not depressed.

[Th...]

All Benzos, regardless of brand, make you relaxed (are depressants) by binding to GABA receptors. The chemical composition of a Benzos is NOT different from one brand to the next.  That's why "generic" Benzos are available.  Brands are patented so the company making them has exclusive rights for about 20 years...after the patent expires, other companies are allowed to make a generic that is chemically identical.  For example, Xanax is the Brand, but Alprazolam is the active drug in the brand Xanax. 

Accord is a provider of generic and specialty pharmaceuticals, they combine their advanced manufacturing technology with in-house research to produce highly complex, affordable, and essential medicines. 

Accord's Benzos are going to be identical (chemically) to Benzos made by other pharmaceutical manufacturers.