Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Dealing with insomnia and depression due to this medication?

[Lu...]

[Lu...]
Posted (edited)

Dealing with a lot, need help, losing everyone around me. Been on these Benzos for 6 months. I can’t focus anymore. 

Edited by [Lu...]
Didn’t put full sentence in

Hi, @[Lu...]! Welcome to BenzoBuddies:classic_smile: We're glad you've found us. I do hope you'll find this community helpful.

Yes, depression and insomnia can be caused by this medication and, in general, i think the further we stay away from this drug the better. Benzo doesn't treat anything and shouldn't be taken long term. I'd get off benzo as soon as possible and, in fact, i did. 

I hope you'll find your way out and we can help and support you. Good luck!)

[Cr...]
20 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Dealing with a lot, need help, losing everyone around me. Been on these Benzos for 6 months. I can’t focus anymore. 

What benzo and what dose? What were you prescribed it for?

[Lu...]
Posted (edited)

I’m on xanax .25 for 6 months and only use it for sleeping now my anxiety is crazy I can’t focus at work or anything. Timing is bad due to loss of work and family issues I created. Melatonin doesn’t work I just wanna sleep 

Edited by [Lu...]

[Lu...]

All bad timing runnier my daughters senior year due to this and she graduates next week 

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

All bad timing runnier my daughters senior year due to this and she graduates next week 

You won't get better within a week's time but you are taking the first step which is important.

Xanax is notoriously hard to taper off of because half-life is so short. You should ask your doctor if they are willing to cross you over from .25 mg of Xanax to 5 mg of Valium. From there you will want to hold until stable and then do about 10% cuts every 1 to 2 weeks. You may need to bring the Ashton Manual with you.

In the meantime, until you see the doctor.. you might benefit from splitting your .25 dose up into two and taking it twice a day (.125 @7am, .125 @7pm). That might help some of the interdose withdrawal issues.

Luckily you are not on a large dose of Xanax so you won't have far to go, taper-wise, to come off.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Like 1

[or...]

@[Lu...] I just wanted to add that I crossed from a short-acting benzo (Ativan) to valium because the interdose wds were so bad. Valium smoothed everything out, and I was able to do a reasonable taper off the drug. I agree with @[Cr...]. Best to you.

[Lo...]

I've been off of Clonazapam for a lil over a month. My insomnia is 3-4 hrs sleep a night. My mornings are hard. Anxiety full throttle till afternoon..I just want to be able to function and get through this safely..I am confused on how to help myself rn. I get the shakes , sweats, hot and cold sensitivity, tension, insomnia, pain from being tense. I don't trust anyone rn. 

@[Lo...], hi! Welcome to BenzoBuddies) I hope the community will be a great help to you!

Oh... I can imagine what you're going through atm. First few months is the time when the withdrawal feels at its worst. Just don't panic over it. All your symptoms are expectable, don't mean you're actually ill and must subside over time. I've been learning it by my own and other buddies experience+medical information.

If you need to ask some questions of your own, feel free to start a new thread. Good luck to you!)

[Th...]
Posted (edited)

@[Lu...]

Sounds like you reached tolerance?  That's where the current dose doesn't give you the desired outcome and you are experiencing inter-dose withdrawal symptoms.  The exact same thing happened to me and I didn't have any idea what was going on until I found this forum.

Please take the time to read this rather long post.  It should be able to answer most of your questions? Peace!

https://benzobuddies.org/topic/270442-2400-days-off-my-insomniabenzo-advice/page/5/#comment-3514233

Edited by [Th...]

[Lu...]

I work outta of state surrounded by my parents that I had to ask for money due to loss of work not to mention there is no promise in the job anytime soon. My parents house is liking living in a shelter. When I at home there is too much pressure on what I’ve done to destroy my daughters senior year because loss of work and she’s felt it. There are obligations that are up soon that I can’t face due to being paranoid about how I’m in debt and there is no money after work being this slow. I can’t get another job due to a drug test nore I have skills like that can’t even focus to apply for a job plus an interview. My family feels me distant and rather be alone away from everyone. Problem with that I have so much to do but don’t have the energy to do it. 

[Cr...]
3 hours ago, [[L...] said:

I work outta of state surrounded by my parents that I had to ask for money due to loss of work not to mention there is no promise in the job anytime soon. My parents house is liking living in a shelter. When I at home there is too much pressure on what I’ve done to destroy my daughters senior year because loss of work and she’s felt it. There are obligations that are up soon that I can’t face due to being paranoid about how I’m in debt and there is no money after work being this slow. I can’t get another job due to a drug test nore I have skills like that can’t even focus to apply for a job plus an interview. My family feels me distant and rather be alone away from everyone. Problem with that I have so much to do but don’t have the energy to do it. 

If we gave you links to info about benzo withdrawal to show your family to help them understand what you are going through would that be helpful?

Your withdrawal is causing a great deal of anxiety which is also giving you a very low tolerance to stress. While debt and graduations have their importance, in the overall hierarchy of things your physical/mental health should be your top priority.

Once you get yourself stable and better then you can concentrate on getting a job, paying off debts, and making time up for your daughter.

It is normal for a family that doesn't understand benzo withdrawal to distance themselves from the sufferer. It is such a complicated matter and it is tiring to explain to people that just don't get it or refuse to believe it.

Right now just worry about getting stable. What is your plan? Can you get a Doctor to cross you over to 5 mgs of Valium? I would bring a copy of the Ashton manual with you. Tell your doctor Xanax is no longer working and you want to slowly taper off on a longer acting benzo like the type mentioned in the Ashton Manual.

Until then, see if splitting up your dose brings you any relief.