Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Weaning AD

[Be...]

[Be...]

Hi. I have been taking AD quite regularly for some 10 years mixed up with Benzos when the depression was at full blow. Have been told I need to take the AD for life. During an episode of depression last year I had taken my AD with Mogadon for a few months but had successfully been able to wean off the Mogadon by year end. I then proceeded to taper with the AD and was fine for some 5 months when the depression has now returned. 

I know that if I go to the doctor, I will be prescribed to increase the AD and Mogadon again. 

My question is : do I really need to increase the AD or a relapse is a normal process of healing which will eventually go away?

[Th...]

I have never heard of pre-existing conditions being healed after you are healed from your withdrawal.  However,  almost all people are in a better position to deal with depression and/or anxiety after having gone through withdrawal.  There are other ways to treat depression besides drugs.  It's amazing that they can prescribe ADs when they don't even know exactly how they work, or if they truly work at all (placebo effect)?

Practicing gratitude is proven to reduce symptoms of depression along with regular exercise, eating a "clean" diet, CBT, etc.   You might want to get another opinion from another doctor or if you can, find a Naturopathic doctor--an MD that uses all non-drug treatments first before resorting to Rx drugs.  Peace!

• Like 2

[Be...]

Thanks for the advice. Benzos I gather does not cure depression. For previous episodes, I had been taking the AD's and got well after some time. Think I must consider and deal with any root cause while trying as possible any other natural method. I am a committed Christian and lean on God.

• Like 1

[Th...]
Posted (edited)

Leaning on God is a great thing IMO.  Neither Benzos nor ADs cure anxiety or depression.  They simply "mask" those feelings.  It's like putting a piece of electrical tape over the "check engine" light on your car.  You can no longer see the check engine light, but the problem still exists that turned on that light in the first place. They are merely band-aids that do not treat the root cause.  In fact, most ADs that are SSRIs (Select Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) supposedly work by keeping more serotonin in your body and Serotonin is the "feel good" chemical.

Edited by [Th...]
  • Like 1