Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Members-only Group  ·  430 members  ·  Rules

Long Haulers

Maybe my Benzo recovery is over….

[No...]

[No...]

But I'm feeling so bad because I've been sick for so long, sitting on the couch for 9.5 years? A recovery after a Benzo recovery? And my inactive life has caused muscle pain, weakness, exhaustion and anxiety? Fatigue syndrome? Mild PTSD? And everything depends on myself? I haven't been outside for many years. Who knows?

image.png

Edited by [No...]

[Wa...]

Are you saying that you feel like what is remaining is no longer benzo-related? Wanting to offer support just trying to understand what you mean...

[Na...]

I think that it's certainly possible that you can get so "beat up" by the difficulties of long term benzo induced illness that you might be left with those after effects even after most of your direct issues from coming off the drug have resolved if that is what you're suggesting.

• Like 1

[No...]
Posted (edited)

I'm a Norwegian, so my English is not perfect and a big mess?  :-[

Thanks Nathan, you are a perfect group leader. You are so kind, humble and understanding. :mybuddy:

Polydrugged and a CT, and I have been very sick for 9.5 years. I have written a diary, and all the symtoms on the list. Hallucinations, astral travels, and auditory hallucinations for five years. I have been so scared, terrified and exhausted for many years and an ongoing nightmare. And maybe my current problems are caused by stress on my body for many years, and Fatigue Syndrome now?

Sitting and lying on the couch. And slow walking like a sloth 80-100 steps a day my couch - bathroom. And this is very bad for my body, sitting or lying down for too long increases my risk of chronic health problems. I am very weak and exhausted, and I forget to breathe. Weakness, tightness, tingling and muscle pain.

I have read medical articles, and my life can cause several complications:

You may have a rapid heartbeat and be short of breath. It also can lead to numbness or tingling in your hands or feet, anxiety, fainting, and sore chest muscles. Some causes of sudden hyperventilation include anxiety and emotional stress.

Muscles that aren’t actively contracted lose strength at a rate of 10%-15% per week. After four weeks, a patient may only have 50% - 60% of his total strength left. (And 9.5 years? 00000.1%?).

Weakness and tightness. Costovertebral and costochondral range of motion decrease. Weakness of the diaphragm, intercostals and accessory muscles of respiration develop. The rate of decline for respiratory muscles is similar to that of other muscles. Therefore, negative inspiratory force may be about one-half of what they were initially after four weeks of bed rest.

Excessive sitting can harm your urinary tract, a new study finds. If you spend long hours sitting, and you get little to no exercise, your urinary tract could suffer the consequences.

Bed rest can tax the neurological system. After several days of bed rest, patients may experience decreased concentration, orientation and intellectual skills. Behavioral and emotional changes may cause anxiety, depression, irritability and less tolerance to pain. Sensory deprivation and central nervous system changes in neurochemistry may play a role in these alterations. If you were in a chair/bed a recovery could take many months.

I can hardly take care of myself, but I have to do something. Just sitting on the couch won't help. So what can I do? Force myself to move, and walking outside - but I hate it! My nervous system is very sensitive, and I can't handle stress and probably permanently. I'm scared, and a setback? My brain is screaming "just sit still and don't move!" But just do it!    :brickwall:    :wacko:

So maybe I'm still so weak and exhausted, because I have been so sick and inactive for many years? And a tough and hard recovery after a long and very painful Benzo-recovery? I try to think this way, otherwise I lose hope. And then there is something I can do to change my life? But I know it takes a long time.

Edited by [No...]
  • Love 1

[mo...]

The road to recovery starts with just one step. Just try walking in the house for now and stay patient. Music helps me move. How about you? Accept my empathy...

[No...]

You are so right Mowgli. Babysteps. Sometimes a few minutes is enough, and I feel bad. Exercise intolerance, or because my body is very weak? Spiritual guided meditations calm me down. And basal body awareness therapy, meditation and mindfulness. And I must not give up now, and give it a try.

[Be...]

Norwegian, I know exactly how you feel because I feel the same way.  I'm so exhausted from being so damaged.  I force myself to do stuff and then pay the consequences.

[No...]
Posted (edited)

Becksblue. I'm so sorry you are feeling so bad. Maybe we are suffering from lingering complications because we've been so sick? Some form of "shock" in the body because we have suffered both physically, psychologically and mentally? And it is said that the body never forgets, even if we think so. Painful memories are hidden in our muscles and our mind? And the brain is stuck in a loop of suffering? And that's why we're still so sick and exhausted? Some form of PTSD? And many of us have suffered alone, because others have not understood? No, this sounds too sad!  :classic_biggrin:

Edited by [No...]
  • Like 1

[No...]
Posted (edited)

I hope you didn't think my post was negative, when I wrote that maybe I feel so bad because I've been sick for so long. And that this long suffering has caused a lot of stress in my body.

But I'm trying to find a light in the tunnel, a little hope. If I am weak and very exhausted, it may be due to a very inactive life for many years? And easy exercising for muscular strength make me feel better? So I use a pedometer and easy exercising, and this makes me feel stronger. And no longer shortness of breath when lying down, so there is hope!  :)

What do you think?

Edited by [No...]
  • Like 1

[Be...]

It's alright to write negative posts.  It doesn't bother me at all.  I walk to the mailboxes every day to check my mail and that gives me some exercise. 

[lo...]
On 27/04/2024 at 13:23, [[N...] said:

I hope you didn't think my post was negative, when I wrote that maybe I feel so bad because I've been sick for so long. And that this long suffering has caused a lot of stress in my body.

But I'm trying to find a light in the tunnel, a little hope. If I am weak and very exhausted, it may be due to a very inactive life for many years? And easy exercising for muscular strength make me feel better? So I use a pedometer and easy exercising, and this makes me feel stronger. And no longer shortness of breath when lying down, so there is hope!  :)

What do you think?

This sounds very positive.   It has been a very slow process for me trying to regain some strength.   The first 4-5 years were the worst for me though I probably wasn't as sick as you have been.  I was in bed most of the time but I was able to get outside for a short walk.  I am now 11 years off benzos and am doing much better but still have to be careful not to push myself beyond my limits or it backfires.  I can remember when I could only manage 1 or 2 minutes of exercises and that was about 4 years off benzos. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/04/2024 at 04:15, [[N...] said:

I'm a Norwegian, so my English is not perfect and a big mess?  :-[

Thanks Nathan, you are a perfect group leader. You are so kind, humble and understanding. :mybuddy:

Polydrugged and a CT, and I have been very sick for 9.5 years. I have written a diary, and all the symtoms on the list. Hallucinations, astral travels, and auditory hallucinations for five years. I have been so scared, terrified and exhausted for many years and an ongoing nightmare. And maybe my current problems are caused by stress on my body for many years, and Fatigue Syndrome now?

Sitting and lying on the couch. And slow walking like a sloth 80-100 steps a day my couch - bathroom. And this is very bad for my body, sitting or lying down for too long increases my risk of chronic health problems. I am very weak and exhausted, and I forget to breathe. Weakness, tightness, tingling and muscle pain.

I have read medical articles, and my life can cause several complications:

You may have a rapid heartbeat and be short of breath. It also can lead to numbness or tingling in your hands or feet, anxiety, fainting, and sore chest muscles. Some causes of sudden hyperventilation include anxiety and emotional stress.

Muscles that aren’t actively contracted lose strength at a rate of 10%-15% per week. After four weeks, a patient may only have 50% - 60% of his total strength left. (And 9.5 years? 00000.1%?).

Weakness and tightness. Costovertebral and costochondral range of motion decrease. Weakness of the diaphragm, intercostals and accessory muscles of respiration develop. The rate of decline for respiratory muscles is similar to that of other muscles. Therefore, negative inspiratory force may be about one-half of what they were initially after four weeks of bed rest.

Excessive sitting can harm your urinary tract, a new study finds. If you spend long hours sitting, and you get little to no exercise, your urinary tract could suffer the consequences.

Bed rest can tax the neurological system. After several days of bed rest, patients may experience decreased concentration, orientation and intellectual skills. Behavioral and emotional changes may cause anxiety, depression, irritability and less tolerance to pain. Sensory deprivation and central nervous system changes in neurochemistry may play a role in these alterations. If you were in a chair/bed a recovery could take many months.

I can hardly take care of myself, but I have to do something. Just sitting on the couch won't help. So what can I do? Force myself to move, and walking outside - but I hate it! My nervous system is very sensitive, and I can't handle stress and probably permanently. I'm scared, and a setback? My brain is screaming "just sit still and don't move!" But just do it!    :brickwall:    :wacko:

So maybe I'm still so weak and exhausted, because I have been so sick and inactive for many years? And a tough and hard recovery after a long and very painful Benzo-recovery? I try to think this way, otherwise I lose hope. And then there is something I can do to change my life? But I know it takes a long time.

Though I dont consider myself fully recovered I really underestimated the effect of the trauma and unhealthy life on me. It is really hard to tell the difference with some things. I wrote an overly dramatic but very true few paragraphs about it to a fellow who was a very similar case to me who messaged me. We had about a 200 message talk in total. We really cant underestimate the toll of the experience or the life you lead while trying to recover. We practically read each-others minds for the whole conversation but he couldnt stop reliving it in his mind.  I managed to get free of that through a series of epiphanies. It is a terrible trap to be stuck in.