Tapering off one half of .5 mg a day klonipin

[Fr...]

Pharmacy refuses to fill script for klonipn because I’m on pain meds.

for last few years I take one half of .5 mg klonipin a day.

small amount but managed muscle jerks related to old head injury.

will I have a problem if I simply stop?

thanks

[je...]

Hi @[Fr...]

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Unfortunately I have to go now and I don't have the time to fully reply to your question. I just wanted to approve your membership so you have full access to the forum and others will be able to offer you support.

Hopefully somebody will stop by shortly and be able to offer advice and share their experiences. 

[PE...]

Hi and welcome to benzobuddies :)

Your pharmacy should know klonopin shouldn't be just stopped! it can cause pain in every way and even be lethal!

Can you use another pharmacy?

6 hours ago, [[F...] said:

thanks

[Li...]

6 hours ago, [[F...] said:

You might.  I do not wish to alarm you, but there is a boxed warning for clonazepam regarding abrupt discontinuation (see below).  Clonazepam is a very potent benzodiazepine so 0.25mg is not a small dose. 

In your shoes, I would share the boxed warning with my prescriber and ask them to intervene with the lead pharmacist (not a technician) at the pharmacy.

If the pharmacist continues to refuse to fill the script, I would find another pharmacy that will and have my prescription transferred there.  (The downside of this approach is that it might trigger a flag for ‘pharmacy shopping’ in your state’s PDMP - Prescription Drug Monitoring Program.)

Please keep us posted.  

FDA Boxed Warning for Clonazepam

“The continued use of benzodiazepines, including clonazepam, may lead to clinically significant physical dependence. The risks of dependence and withdrawal increase with longer treatment duration and higher daily dose. Abrupt discontinuation or rapid dosage reduction of clonazepam tablets after continued use may precipitate acute withdrawal reactions, which can be life-threatening. To reduce the risk of withdrawal reactions, use agradual taper to discontinue Klonopin or reduce the dosage.”