Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Nobody understands

[Go...]

[Go...]

Is it that nobody understands what we are going through, or am I so messed up that nobody even wants to try and understand?

• Like 2

[Li...]
1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

Is it that nobody understands what we are going through, or am I so messed up that nobody even wants to try and understand?

In my opinion they do not understand.  If they aren't going through it or have been through it it is impossible for them to understand the depths of this.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[kn...]

I think it's safe to say that we are a community known only unto ourselves.  It's sad to say, but mental health is still something millions suffer, but few will admit to.  And, of course, the same thing goes for taking any type of medication in that regard.  Its not something one would talk about with friends, and we know that our Dr.s haven't got a clue.  I would imagine that they've had no more than a lecture or two in grad school and no more than a chapter to any textbook devoted to Benzo WD and recovery.  Hence the glassy eyes, prescriptions that drop like rocks and expectations of having us  heal up in a month or two.  I've even got in trouble in the last few months for changing things up on my own taper (as if my provider would have had any idea what I needed to do).  I'm now labelled as medically noncompliant in my file. Yes, that's a thing now.  That's why we have to become our own advocates in this process. I know we'd like to think that folks would care, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen any time soon. As a member of BB and fellow traveler, I certainly do.  Best wishes to you guys. Keep the faith as you taper on. 

Edited by [kn...]
  • Like 3

[An...]
21 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

In my opinion they do not understand.  If they aren't going through it or have been through it it is impossible for them to understand the depths of this.  

Agree 100%....impossible for anyone to fully understand unless they are going through it or have gone through it.

• Like 5

[Li...]

I will also say that I have a wonderful doctor that works with me and have worked with many people coming off benzos, but as much as he has learned about what we go through he can never understand completely.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ka...]

@[Go...] sadly we find ourselves in this position when actually we are entirely normal.
Everyone will encounter grief, perhaps physical pain or worry etc. to some degree & I think clinicians usually expect us to want a prescription to fix it.

Often it’s unnecessary. But they give it anyway & then begins the issue. & we end up worse with adverse effects. It’s the system not us that is the problem. 

Edited by [Ka...]
  • Like 1

[gr...]

There is no way that anyone can understand what we are going through, unless they have gone through it too.

I could never imagine in my wildest dreams that this would happen after being on this poison for 3 weeks.

This is the worst thing I have gone through in my life and everyone I know thinks I just have anxiety...Which I have never had in my life.  It is so freaking annoying  trying to explain this to them. I gave up and told them to stop asking me how I feel and stop trying to give me advice to something you have no idea about!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Ca...]

I think my spouse gets it but otherwise, I am still peppered with suggestions for supplements or getting out more (i do think walks are helpful) and on and on. To those friends or family who know why I am so sick, I have stopped saying anything more when asked how I am doing than "about the same". I avoid Facebook so don't go on support groups there. My prescriber knows nothing about benzo withdrawal. Im sure if I asked to updose to four xanax a day to try to get out of withdrawal, she would comply. She has of course offered multiple psych meds none of which I have accepted.

[An...]
4 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I think my spouse gets it but otherwise, I am still peppered with suggestions for supplements or getting out more (i do think walks are helpful) and on and on. To those friends or family who know why I am so sick, I have stopped saying anything more when asked how I am doing than "about the same". I avoid Facebook so don't go on support groups there. My prescriber knows nothing about benzo withdrawal. Im sure if I asked to updose to four xanax a day to try to get out of withdrawal, she would comply. She has of course offered multiple psych meds none of which I have accepted.

I hear you Carol. I do many of the same things you mentioned in your post.

[Ca...]
On 01/04/2024 at 13:46, [[L...] said:

I will also say that I have a wonderful doctor that works with me and have worked with many people coming off benzos, but as much as he has learned about what we go through he can never understand completely.  

Would  you mind sharing his name? I have coaching with Dr Halligan and she works with a lot of benzo patients but I even question some of her recommendations sometimes.

[Li...]
12 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Would  you mind sharing his name? I have coaching with Dr Halligan and she works with a lot of benzo patients but I even question some of her recommendations sometimes.

Dr. Michael Osborne.  He is in Tn.  He did not rush me and followed my lead in dosing down.  He was there to support me in the process.

[Ca...]
14 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Dr. Michael Osborne.  He is in Tn.  He did not rush me and followed my lead in dosing down.  He was there to support me in the process.

Can you share with me what taper rate youre using or used?

[Li...]

I didn't follow a specific taper rate.  I went pretty slow but faster at times.  I tried to listen to my body and decrease when I felt ready.  I went from 6 mgs of K down to 1 mg, then I crossed over to 30 mgs of valium and followed that all the way down.  My doctor would have went as fast or as slow as I needed.  

[or...]

I'm sorry I never saw your post before this a.m. @[Go...]  I feel so alone this a.m. it really touched my heart.  It does feel that way at times for me, in fact, I'm sad to say I feel like that most days, but distract from it.  It's ever on my mind though and even with all the folks here that are in the same boat, sometimes it just threatens to derail me.

Thing is, I can never come up with "how" to give up.  It's just not in me to do that.  At least not with this whole benzo thing, and anything to do with gaining more quality of life.  I know the good days will come, along with continued healing, I've already experienced many good days, and healing as well.  Oregonlady, :hug:

• Like 2