Healing from Prescribed Benzodiazepines

[Li...]

[Li...]

Nicole Lamberson interviews Dr. Asli Anik about her recently completed doctoral research on people’s experiences of healing from prescribed benzodiazepine dependence, what they found helpful during this process, and their views on what future services in the UK should look like. 

Dr. Anik is a Counselling Psychologist who has been working as a psychological therapist in the UK’s National Health Service for six years. 

• Like 4

[Ka...]

Thank you - just watched it. This is an excellent interview. Food for thought, valuable info & links. Covers so much including doctors, peer support & the lack of an NHS helpline - in the UK. 

Edited by [Ka...]
Added NHS
  • Like 2

[Li...]

You’re most welcome @[Ka...].  I was hoping you would view and comment.  The four themes Asli identified resonated with me:

• disbelief and failure in healthcare
  • peer support
  • symptoms: relationship to symptoms, coping, and post-withdrawal
  • severe suffering that can impact every aspect of your life

If you have not already done so, you might enjoy scanning her dissertation (link below).  She did an excellent job of capturing the voice of lived experience via quotes from the interviews.

Link:

Anik, A. 2023. How do individuals in the UK experience recovery from prescribed benzodiazepine dependence and what helped? Prof Doc Thesis University of East London School of Psychology.  Accessed online at https://repository.uel.ac.uk/item/8x125

• Like 2

[Ka...]

Thank you @[Li...] 

Yes these themes resonate with me too. I’ve downloaded the dissertation. It’s really important research. Coming from a psychologist is a different angle & much needed. 
Others reading do take time out to watch especially if embarking on therapy. 

• Like 1