Xanax withdrawal

[Fa...]

Hi guys! My doctor prescribed me 0.50 of xanax and then 1 mg, I only took it for 3 months, and the withdrawal symptoms are horrible, anxiety, depression, DPDR, etc., is it normal to feel this? Thank you so much

[Br...]

Hello @[Fa...]!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

The symptoms you describe are common benzo withdrawal symptoms.  Can you tell us more about how you went about quitting?

We're glad you found us!

Brighterday

[Fa...]
Just now, [[B...] said:

Hello @[Fa...]!  Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

The symptoms you describe are common benzo withdrawal symptoms.  Can you tell us more about how you went about quitting?

We're glad you found us!

Brighterday

Thank you very much for answering ! The doctor took me off a quarter of a pill a week, they prescribed 0.5 for insomnia, then 1 mg, I only took it for a month and a half, I haven't taken anything for 1 month, but the symptoms are very strong

[Br...]

Hi @[Fa...] - We often see doctors recommend tapers like this.  My taper was very similar and I had strong symptoms too.  It's a faster taper than we generally suggest but with time your symptoms will settle down. 

Did you ever start and stop a benzo prior to this?

[Fa...]
Just now, [[B...] said:

Hi @[Fa...] - We often see doctors recommend tapers like this.  My taper was very similar and I had strong symptoms too.  It's a faster taper than we generally suggest but with time your symptoms will settle down. 

Did you ever start and stop a benzo prior to this?

no never! The doctor never told me about these effects, I had to inform myself so as not to go crazy, another thing that happens to me is that the slightest stress affects me a lot, and things from the past affect me even though I have already overcome them before taking this, thank you for your Answer, you have helped me a lot, more than any doctor

[Br...]
1 minute ago, [[F...] said:

no never! The doctor never told me about these effects, I had to inform myself so as not to go crazy, another thing that happens to me is that the slightest stress affects me a lot, and things from the past affect me even though I have already overcome them before taking this, thank you for your Answer, you have helped me a lot, more than any doctor

I'm glad to hear you never started and stopped a benzo before - withdrawal can be worse for people who have.

It's very common for stress to make withdrawal symptoms more intense.  Stress of all different types can do this: physical stress like illness or exercising too vigorously; and mental/emotional stress like work pressure, interpersonal conflicts, financial worries, etc.  Our central nervous system (CNS) is already very sensitized during withdrawal and it's very susceptible to stress.  So to the extent that you can reduce the stress in your life it can help protect your CNS.  

It's also common to have intrusive memories about thing in the past, often things you feel were resolved long ago.

Here are two links to pages with information about common withdrawal symptoms. It's important to keep reminding yourself that withdrawal symptoms are a sign of your body and brain repairing themselves after benzos and the symptoms are temporary.  With time they will go away.  

You will learn a lot about ways of coping with withdrawal symptoms as you explore this site.  Please ask all the questions you need to and reach out for support.  You will get through this and we will help you.

Ashton Manual - Common Withdrawal Symptoms Chapter III

List of common withdrawal symptoms

[Fa...]
Just now, [[B...] said:

I'm glad to hear you never started and stopped a benzo before - withdrawal can be worse for people who have.

It's very common for stress to make withdrawal symptoms more intense.  Stress of all different types can do this: physical stress like illness or exercising too vigorously; and mental/emotional stress like work pressure, interpersonal conflicts, financial worries, etc.  Our central nervous system (CNS) is already very sensitized during withdrawal and it's very susceptible to stress.  So to the extent that you can reduce the stress in your life it can help protect your CNS.  

It's also common to have intrusive memories about thing in the past, often things you feel were resolved long ago.

Here are two links to pages with information about common withdrawal symptoms. It's important to keep reminding yourself that withdrawal symptoms are a sign of your body and brain repairing themselves after benzos and the symptoms are temporary.  With time they will go away.  

You will learn a lot about ways of coping with withdrawal symptoms as you explore this site.  Please ask all the questions you need to and reach out for support.  You will get through this and we will help you.

Ashton Manual - Common Withdrawal Symptoms Chapter III

List of common withdrawal symptoms

I don't know what to say... thank you very much, I'm going through a very hard process, the worst thing that happened to me in my life, and these words have helped me, one last question, can you recommend something in particular to make this a little easier? 

[Br...]

This is one of the hardest things many of us will go through.  When you're in the thick of it, especially in the first few weeks it's hard to believe you'll ever feel like yourself again but with time, your brain and body know how to heal and recover.

Here are some suggestions for ways to help get through this.

1. Read Success Stories.  I read these at all hours of the day and night when I was in withdrawal.  It will give you a shot of encouragement when you need it.

2. Distraction is one of the most effective ways to cope with withdrawal symptoms.  Pouring yourself into anything that absorbs your attention will help shift your focus away from miserable symptoms. Activites can be things like tidying, household projects, cooking, puzzles, drawing/painting, funny TV shows , etc.

3. Sticking to a routine each day, getting as much rest (not necessarily sleep) as possible

4. Warm bath with Epsom salts and a few drops of essential oil (lavender is calming but whatever you like) for 20 minutes

5. Gentle exercise; walking outside in nature, yoga

6. Funny shows/movies - laughter is good

7. Chamomile tea is very soothing for many of us; others think it isn't helpful - you may want to experiment and see if it works for you.  I used two bags in one cup of hot water.

8.  Avoid stress as much as you can.  Stress is hard on our already overburdened CNS and can rev up symptoms

9.  Breathing techniques:  4-7-8 breathing  Inhale 4 counts; hold 7 counts; exhale 8 counts

Box Breathing:  Inhale very slowly for count of 4; hold count of 4; exhale count of 4; hold count of 4

10.  Positive statements/Prayer - repeating I will not feel this way forever I am safe. I am healing. I am okay

• Like 1

[Nu...]

Seems like you're understanding of the withdrawal situation so this may not apply to you, but there's a lot of merit in radical acceptance...

• Like 1

[Fa...]
7 hours ago, [[B...] said:

This is one of the hardest things many of us will go through.  When you're in the thick of it, especially in the first few weeks it's hard to believe you'll ever feel like yourself again but with time, your brain and body know how to heal and recover.

Here are some suggestions for ways to help get through this.

1. Read Success Stories.  I read these at all hours of the day and night when I was in withdrawal.  It will give you a shot of encouragement when you need it.

2. Distraction is one of the most effective ways to cope with withdrawal symptoms.  Pouring yourself into anything that absorbs your attention will help shift your focus away from miserable symptoms. Activites can be things like tidying, household projects, cooking, puzzles, drawing/painting, funny TV shows , etc.

3. Sticking to a routine each day, getting as much rest (not necessarily sleep) as possible

4. Warm bath with Epsom salts and a few drops of essential oil (lavender is calming but whatever you like) for 20 minutes

5. Gentle exercise; walking outside in nature, yoga

6. Funny shows/movies - laughter is good

7. Chamomile tea is very soothing for many of us; others think it isn't helpful - you may want to experiment and see if it works for you.  I used two bags in one cup of hot water.

8.  Avoid stress as much as you can.  Stress is hard on our already overburdened CNS and can rev up symptoms

9.  Breathing techniques:  4-7-8 breathing  Inhale 4 counts; hold 7 counts; exhale 8 counts

Box Breathing:  Inhale very slowly for count of 4; hold count of 4; exhale count of 4; hold count of 4

10.  Positive statements/Prayer - repeating I will not feel this way forever I am safe. I am healing. I am okay

Thank you very much for your advice, I am going to put it into practice, even if there are days when I don't feel like doing anything, it has helped me a lot

[Fa...]
2 hours ago, [[N...] said:

Seems like you're understanding of the withdrawal situation so this may not apply to you, but there's a lot of merit in radical acceptance...

Thank you very much, I accept it but it is horrible, it seems like it is a very complicated process, there are days when I feel like I am dying, and the psychological torture is like a nightmare, I hope I can be strong and overcome it

[PE...]
11 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Thank you very much for answering ! The doctor took me off a quarter of a pill a week, they prescribed 0.5 for insomnia, then 1 mg, I only took it for a month and a half, I haven't taken anything for 1 month, but the symptoms are very strong

Hi!

A few years ago I was on benzo for a couple of months like you been now. It took me around 8 weeks to get back to normal. Hopefully that's the case with you too.

[Fa...]
7 hours ago, [[P...] said:

Hi!

A few years ago I was on benzo for a couple of months like you been now. It took me around 8 weeks to get back to normal. Hopefully that's the case with you too.

I hope that's my case too! What have you taken and for how long? your words gave me more hope

• Like 1

[PE...]
1 minute ago, [[F...] said:

I hope that's my case too! What have you taken and for how long? your words gave me more hope

This time is different I was on it much longer! I think around 4 years. I did my last dose 6 month ago. I wrote somewhere I'm 80% back to normal. I had a really rough last year trying to taper but that didn't work out for me.

[Fa...]
29 minutes ago, [[P...] said:

This time is different I was on it much longer! I think around 4 years. I did my last dose 6 month ago. I wrote somewhere I'm 80% back to normal. I had a really rough last year trying to taper but that didn't work out for me.

I'm glad to hear you're okay! It is a very difficult process, I hope it doesn't take long to recover, when you took the benzos the first time for a few months, were your symptoms like mine? Thank you so much !

• Like 1

[PE...]
1 hour ago, [[F...] said:

I'm glad to hear you're okay! It is a very difficult process, I hope it doesn't take long to recover, when you took the benzos the first time for a few months, were your symptoms like mine? Thank you so much !

I was mostly in bed shaking. I think I was close to a seizure that time.. I blacked out. The usual suspects. Anxiety, sweating and shaking.

This time I have more.. mostly the tinnitus is left.

[PE...]

Some morning anxiety and restlessness. But it's far from what it was.

Just relax you be fine soon 

[Fa...]
Just now, [[P...] said:

Some morning anxiety and restlessness. But it's far from what it was.

Just relax you be fine soon 

Thank you very much, it is the first time in a long time that I have found words of encouragement, it gives me strength to move forward

• Like 1

[Nu...]
17 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Thank you very much, I accept it but it is horrible, it seems like it is a very complicated process, there are days when I feel like I am dying, and the psychological torture is like a nightmare, I hope I can be strong and overcome it

You've got this. I have no doubt. We are capable of much more than we may think we are -- and you're no exception. You're not the withdrawal and the withdrawal is not you. Use these boards for help when you need. But you've got this.

[Fa...]
Just now, [[N...] said:

You've got this. I have no doubt. We are capable of much more than we may think we are -- and you're no exception. You're not the withdrawal and the withdrawal is not you. Use these boards for help when you need. But you've got this.

I'm crying haha it sounds pathetic I know xD, thank God I found this site, the words of courage And feeling that I'm not alone and that they understand me gives me a lot of strength, when I feel very bad, I re-read your answers

• Like 2