Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Sun's out around here

[kn...]

[kn...]

The sun came out today.  Wow.  No snow left.  No rain or drizzle.  Temps in the high fifties.  Wow.  Decided to go outside.  Just walked around in the yard for awhile and took it all in.  Spotted a few weeds coming up.  First dandelions of the season.  No chemical weed warfare at our place.  Instead I walked back to the patio and put on some gloves, grabbed the plastic bucket and my hori hori ( stop that kind of thinking right now; it's a knife-like gardening tool you can get on Amazon.  Got weeds?  Gotta have one).  Now mind that I can barely walk a straight line.  Breathing is tough.  I had my phone in my back pocket to keep track of time. Actually my wife makes me carry it any time I'm out of sight.  She knows the shape I'm in all too well.  I staggered around and dug out some nasty stuff for half an hour.  Actually checked it on my phone.  Time passed fast.  Could it be that I was in the "zone"?  That's the longest I've been on my feet since last summer.  How about that? 

Edited by [kn...]
  • Like 6

How wonderful for you! That's a win. Gardening, the sun, the fresh air really does something for us. I think it being our natural state of doing human stuff really helps with healing. That's why the Japanese have that "forest bathing" concept.

If you are up to it, then I think that just being in your yard, like simply sitting touching the soil and the plants, if you have days where you can do very little, is going to help you. There is actual research that shows that it helps us heal. 

I too worked a little in my garden today, for the first time in months, and it was wonderful to move, to clean up stuff, to be outside, and to feel the (faint) sun on my face. And also now after I feel both better in my body and satisfied with my work. And I feel better looking out at the garden and not seeing halfdone mess and trash. 

20240318_140320.jpg

Edited by [...]
  • Like 3

[je...]

That’s wonderful @[kn...]! I’m not big on gardening. I like walking around and appreciating the gardening of others. Recently though I’m hesitant of going outside to our garden. We’ve seen two snakes in the garden in the past 3 days!

• Like 1

[kn...]

Yikes!  Do you live in areas dry enough to have poisonous ones?  Actually, at our place, it really doesn't matter.  Snakes are generally avoided.  Right now we're plagued with ants.  Little buggers all seem to want in the house.

[je...]

Some are and some are not. I live in Australia. In our area you cannot go swimming or fishing in the lakes as there are lots of crocs. So yeah, we have some interesting creatures... crocs, snakes, dingos, spiders, drop bears...