Benzo Blunders: CTV News Montreal “Why People Shouldn’t Take Benzos For Long Periods”

[...]

In our latest "Benzo Blunders," our co-founder, JC, offers a response to the recent CTV News Montreal segment aired on February 21, 2024, titled Why people shouldn’t take benzos for long periods, which unfortunately perpetuated numerous misconceptions regarding benzodiazepines and their potential for harm.

"Benzo Blunders" is a Benzodiazepine Information Coalition series educating our readers about the latest benzodiazepine misinformation.

Excerpt:

Following the recent release of Radio-Canada Enquête's Cauchemar Sur Ordonnance (Prescription Nightmare), an exposé that featured two members of our medical advisory board—Nicole Lamberson, PA and Dr. Jim Wright—there has been an increase in the Canadian media about the potential harms of benzodiazepines. While we welcome accurate reporting on benzodiazepine risks and harms, we’ve encountered yet another “Benzo Blunder” that missed the mark. The one in question is a four-minute CTV News Montreal segment that aired on February 21, 2024, titled Why people shouldn't take benzos for long periods. It featured Dr. Christopher Labos interviewed by host Mutsumi Takahashi. The misinformation shared could put Canadian lives at risk. As is so unfortunately common, the terminology used may lead patients to erroneously believe that as long as they don’t abuse their benzodiazepine, they will be safe from harm. Moreover, the piece suggests that effective help is readily available if problems arise with benzodiazepines, which is, sadly, not always the case.

READ MORE

Benzo Blunder.png

Edited by [...]
  • Like 5

I watched the video above by CTV News. I have the impression that the interviewee is not knowledgeable when it comes to the danger of protracted withdrawal and BIND. This interview, as I see it, is very sad and problematic. 

All my appreciation to the BIC staff for their noble efforts on trying to direct the topic to the right direction. 

• Like 3

Another excellent piece from the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition!

I especially appreciate BIC bringing attention to this issue:

“ …. there’s an implication that cessation is always the best option, but sometimes it isn’t! A 2023 study found that benzodiazepine discontinuation was associated with small absolute increases in mortality and other potential harms, including nonfatal overdose, suicide attempt, suicidal ideation, and emergency department visits. With the medical field being so ill-prepared to assist patients effectively through withdrawal, some individuals who are not currently experiencing adverse effects on the drug may find that their safest option is to continue taking it. Especially vulnerable populations like the infirm and elderly may fall into this category as well. Some people may also not be in a place in their life where they can risk years of potential disability, income loss, etc. Policies that are insistent on deprescribing for everyone may ultimately result in more harm.”

It’s important to note that the 2023 study included older adults enrolled in Medicare Advantage.  To learn more about the study, visit our discussion about it at:

• Like 2

The Benzodiazepine Information Coalition just released a video about the news segment :

• Like 1

Thank you so much for posting this news clip for the critique of what transpired in the interview. I mostly watch and listen to CBC TV and CBC Radio here in Canada, and I wasn't aware that CTV had coverage of this topic as well. While coverage is necessary, it's extremely important that the coverage be accurate.

• Like 4

One further thought at this time:

When the media is looking for medical experts to consult on a given topic, they may not take the time to find a person who knowledgeable on a topic as complex as benzodiazpine dependence, tolerance, long-term effects, withdrawal effects and appropriate deprescribing. As we all know, such experts are hard to find.

• Like 4

I have given this a lot of thought recently and I have been a bit discouraged, but then encouraged again by the Benzodiazepine Information Coalition today. 

How would they know that this person is not knowledgeable? He seems like a trustworthy Doc, well respected, no need not to trust him. The lay person/benzo naive person would never guess that there is a less known feature of benzodiazepine dependence and many/most Dr's are not aware.. Why would they, why should they.. 

It is decades of false treatment and misdiagnosis, it is generations of doctors, research, medicine books, etc. 

I have made some posts about my concerns and the deep issues about medicine and healthcare in general before. To sum it up, it is very broad and massive problem that really lacks a quick fix, but, on the other hand it would be needed to be solved very bad and quickly because a lot of people will most likely suffer. This issue might be even bigger, more important and noble than most people see it. 

There is one way and that is swimming against the tide.

• Like 2