Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Yoga Meditation Breathing

[Di...]

As I finish the day I go to bed and do some breathing, and as most of us know, night time usually brings some relief to the anxiety that is prevalent during the early part of the day so getting into the breathing is usually no problem as I quite calm to begin with  (A Cortisol thing they say)

HOWEVER! :) When I am somewhat stressed and anxious or low mood I find it really hard, or more like impossible, to get the breathing and calm feeling going....there is a block of sorts, like a mind game Firewall that does not allow the meditation and breathing patterns to start

Is there Anyway around this Firewall folks.....what works for you to calm this storm and permit the Yoga breathing ?

Like I say, normally I am feeling fine most late nights and the breathing exercises are very helpful and reassuring but when I have what I call, The Electric Feeling (anxiety) surges, it's next to impossible to engage the breathing as an aid to some peace of mind due to this mind block/firewall

Hope you are all doing well in your own personal fight backs :)

John

Scotland

XX

Hi John, what helped me is I would read an inspirational book of short stories about people that have recovered from addiction and alcoholism. All of the short stories were of people that struggled and how they overcame their problems. This put would put me in a somewhat positive frame of mind, and would calm my worries and stress so I could try to get some sleep. Prayer also helped me, but the reading helped me to calm my mind.

Keep fighting the good fight my friend.   ;)

John in Montana

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dizzypam,  I find chest opening  yoga poses very helpful- try a search for supported fish pose on google - It’s a restorative position.   I also recommend the very cold water dip for the face- up to 3 minutes- it dislodges the stuckness. I just hold my face in a sink of cold water.  Some people also add ice.  There’s also a shower version 🥶