Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Hi there everyone!

[Ro...]

I am new here just discovered this today. I am just starting my journey to taper off benzos. I originally started with Valium because I had a problem of needing to pee too often and my bladder just wouldn’t stop. The need to urinate would never go away and then I realized I felt so much better on it, and then I switched to one that was supposed to be less strong clonazepam and it helps me sleep and helped with depression and anxiety as you know and I’ve been on it ever since and I am ready to try to taper  off. This has been a 20 year thing going on. I have a dr appt next week to discuss. The doctor is a medical doctor in training to be a psychiatrist. 

Hello @[Ro...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Congratulations on deciding to taper from benzodiazepines, it can be a challenging process but if you’re committed to stopping, we can help.

Is there a reason you’re considering tapering off the Clonazepam, are you experiencing unpleasant symptoms? 

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every few weeks, but what works even better is letting your withdrawal symptoms dictate how much and how often, this can hopefully keep you functioning.

Have you ever tried to taper before, if so, how did it go?  Just so you know, Clonazepam is much stronger than Valium, a rough equivalency states 10 mgs Valium to .5 mgs Clonazepam, what is your current dose and how often do you take it?

We’re glad you’re here, if you’ll answer some of my questions, we can help you get started, with your doctors help of course.