Does low serotonin cause low GABA? The University of N.Y. says YES!

[Bi...]

• 3 weeks later...

Makes sense. I was tapering off Citalopram when I got bad anxiety, gastro-symptoms, and insomnia. Was put on Zolpidem (like Ambien but lasts longer). Then realised on my own after dozen of doctor tests, that the taper was likely the culprit. If only someone had realised it, I might not have ended up on the benzo(-like).

• 4 weeks later...
[4M...]

All the studies say Benzo withdrawal increases serotonin. And that serotonin blockers help benzo withdrawal.

Increased 5-HT release mediates the anxiogenic response during benzodiazepine withdrawal: a review of supporting neurochemical and behavioural evidence

Affiliations expand
Full text linksCite

Abstract

This paper reviews the biochemical and behavioural evidence that the increased anxiety that occurs during benzodiazepine withdrawal is caused by increased 5-HT activity. In hippocampal slices taken from rats withdrawn for 24 h from chronic diazepam treatment (2 mg/kg/day for 21 days) there was a significant increase in K(+)-evoked release of [3H]5-HT and in 45Ca2+ uptake and both of these changes were reversed by the GABAB agonist, baclofen. Baclofen also reversed the anxiogenic response that is detected on withdrawal from chronic diazepam treatment. Other drugs that reduce 5-HT function (tianeptine which increases 5-HT uptake; buspirone, a 5-HT1A receptor agonist/partial agonist; zacopride, a 5-HT3 receptor antagonist) also reversed this anxiogenic response. Finally, we present data from a group of rats that did not develop tolerance to the anxiolytic effects of diazepam (2 mg/kg), even after 5 weeks treatment. This group failed to show an anxiogenic response on withdrawal from diazepam, nor was there an increase in hippocampal 5-HT release. We discuss the extent to which increased hippocampal 5-HT release can be causally linked to the increased anxiety during benzodiazepine withdrawal.

PubMed Disclaimer

Edited by [4M...]