Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

HELP-Have not slept in a week after getting of Ambien.....will it get better?

[bl...]

Hi Everyone,

I stopped Ambien last friday and have not slept since then. I feel like I am on the verge of a breakdown. Does anyone of you know when it will get better? I tried taking allergy medicine or Gravol to help me sleep but nothing is working and I feel so groggy, sleep deprived and depressed.  :o :'( There must be something I can do to get some sleep. I'm desperate.

Blessed78

Hi Blessed,

Yes, it really does get better. I was on it over a year. It took about 6 weeks and after that my sleeping schedule gradually improved. I sleep really great now and more than that, thankful to be off of it.  It had terrible side effects for me and I didn't figure it out for a long time.  Some nights I would sleep a couple hours only and then I would have broken sleep for a few weeks, but I could tell I was getting better. You will do it. Hang in there.

amb56

Hang in there, everything I've heard talks about it getting better over time! Don't be ashamed to take something safe in order to help you sleep (meaning something that's not a benzo!) Best of luck

Holly

Thanks Hollyms and amb56,

Your replies have provided some comfort and encouragement. Amb56 I will fight through since there is ligth at the end of this tunnel. Holly I have been following your post on trying out new alternatives to benzos for sleep. Thanks for keeping us updated.

Blessed 78

I was on ambien for about 7 years and finally got off the end of April.  I tried getting off of it in September and did not sleep for 10 days so I reinstated.  I quit clonazepam in February and waited a couple more months to quit ambien.  I was unable to sleep for about 3 nights than it slowly started getting better.  I still have some occasional insomnia but I am able to sleep.  You will too, just hang in there.

Hi blessed, been there done that...check out my signature. Ambien is a BEAST! I went through the week of no sleep and all of a sudden I slept 6 straight hours - go figure! I really thought I was going to lose my f'in mind. I stayed the course because so many fellow BB's held me up and told me sleep would come. I listened to the meditation CD's, calming music in my ears at night (KEM, Miles Davis' version of human nature, Michael Jackson's Invincible - -break of dawn and anything from Paul Taylor) and did the body scan and it relaxed my mind to the point I was able to let go, and exhale! I still have ups and downs but I am relaxed and falling asleep (taking work home - need to work on stress management techniques).

I think what keeps us awake at night is the anxiety about sleeping or not sleeping. We have so much to deal with right now, healing, life, healing, oh and more life!

hang in there, sleep has your name on it.

Happy Thursday and happy sleeping!

Lida

I haven't slept the past two nights either so you are not the only one.  I am off Ativan sicne April 2009 and was prescribed Norfloxacin for an infection last week and my symptoms have been revved up since finishing it last Wednesday.  I am think of trying a lavender bath tonight although I don't know how much that will agree with me either.