Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Rebalancing the Gut Biome with the help of AI

[Ha...]

Just wondering if anyone else has used "Microbiome Prescription"? I'll share my experiences here for anyone that may be interested. 

Before I start, I'll point out I'm protracted from CT and it took me a long time to realise a big part of my problem was the gut. Most people will heal just fine on their own in a few months.

I contacted a few functional doctors, but they wanted thousands and I just haven't got it after not working for so long. So I started buying low histamine probiotics and started to see some improvement.

Knowing I need to take things a step further than just taking random bacteria and hoping for the best I ended up on a Reddit Sub for "longcovidgutdybiosis" and learned that Biomesight were running a long covid study at a heavily reduced price. Normally £150 down to £70. It's obviously not as in-depth as some I've seen, but they come with a price tag of £500. All you have to do, to qualify for this price is to have had symptoms for more than 3 months and have 2 of the most common. The symptoms are pretty much the same as what I've got anyway. I did this over Christmas and received my results a few days ago.  

Now comes the interesting bit IMHO. According to Reddit the suggestions that Biomesight give you aren't particularly good and it's suggested to upload your results to https://microbiomeprescription.com/Home/Index. Which is free for unlimited access for a week, then basic access, but can get the full access with a small donation I believe. It's an AI programme that compares your results with known symptoms caused by the type of biome dysfunction you have, which is strangely accurate. Here's the ones I match over 70% which you can select to be included in your "prescription"

image.thumb.png.3283650756ef67f6c9211f28db3eb379.png

It then cross references this with all known studies on raising or lowering the bacteria that is causing your dysbiosis, and gives you suggestions on the best way to treat it based on the literature. This is a mix between supplements, food and pro/prebiotics or prescription drugs if you are working with a Dr. Here's mine, non prescriptive drugs as I'm done with themimage.png.8f99be517364e39381d9cb5ca7c2ad33.png

Doses are a bit high, but I'll take it slow and see how it goes. You can do loads with it, that would take too much to explain. But I've spent hours playing around and probiotics that are recommended for certain things are the probiotics I've found helpful. 

I'll keep this updated with my progress (if any). But initial impressions are very good, and could be something worth considering if you don't seem to be getting anywhere in your recovery. I'd be interested to know if anyone has done this before, or feels like it's something they may benefit from and gives it a try.

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 4

I found this interesting. Here's my bacteria scoring. 

image.png.d54cecefff8cc2db51e4912d585dff90.png

And here's someone's scoring with Long Covid.

image.png.222abe6e3eb46eea89bef13213ab4bfd.png

That seems to be the norm with LC, and almost exactly the same as mine. Very strange, I don't think I've ever had it

@[Ha...] This is interesting.  I was wondering if this "Microbiome Prescription" is for those suffering from LC?  Also, I was just about to post about Sodium Butyrate and Luteolin and if anyone has used it and found it helpful.  

But I didn't find it in your supplement list.  There are a number of studies that say, Butyrate supports the gut barrier and regulates mast cells and the immune system. The gut immune system must mount immune responses. 

For me, I know that when the histamine/congestion/inflammation is high, my symptoms blow up, like today. (I'm miserable)

Is there a specific reason they are not mentioned in your opinion?

1 hour ago, [[A...] said:

@[Ha...] This is interesting.  I was wondering if this "Microbiome Prescription" is for those suffering from LC?  Also, I was just about to post about Sodium Butyrate and Luteolin and if anyone has used it and found it helpful.  

But I didn't find it in your supplement list.  There are a number of studies that say, Butyrate supports the gut barrier and regulates mast cells and the immune system. The gut immune system must mount immune responses. 

For me, I know that when the histamine/congestion/inflammation is high, my symptoms blow up, like today. (I'm miserable)

Is there a specific reason they are not mentioned in your opinion?

I was also reading that butyrate was a very good mast cell stabiliser, with huge benefit to the gut. I was actually going to order some to try out. But decided to wait until I got my results.

From my understanding the supplement form although beneficial in its own right, doesn't improve the butyrate in the colon. One of the probiotics in my suggested prescription is Clostridium Butyricum, which is a spore biotic known to produce and increase butyrate. 

Luteolin is in the list at 400mg (2nd 1 down on the right) Although I'll be starting much lower than that.

I'm sure I came across the Microbiome prescription a while ago doing some research. If I'm right in thinking, the guy behind it, or a close family member is suffering from CFS. So he started investigating the link between the gut and chronic illness. It's been expanded for LC now with plans to introduce more mast cell research. I like the fact it's all referenced to research papers and the links are provided if you want to go deeper into things. Must admit to have geeked out a bit and spent a good few hours on the site. Find it all very interesting.

I've definitely benefited from addressing my gut in the past couple of months. But I was just going blind at it. Hopefully a more targeted approach will pay off

Edited by [Ha...]

I saw some research on NIH that Clostridium Butyricum alleviates ulcerative colitis in patients with food allergy and has a positive effect on IBS. I am afraid to try probiotics because the last so-called "low histamine" kicked my ass and it took a while to feel just somewhat stable. 

Specific immunotherapy plus Clostridium butyricum alleviates ulcerative colitis in patients with food allergy - PMC (nih.gov)

Yes, I did see the Luteolin on your list.  I'm also going to try Butyrate and Luteolin, (as soon as I get my check). So far, I found the ones below that have gotten some positive reviews. 

I'm having confusion on trace minerals, it's recommended to supp with Vit C, D3, Calcium, Zinc, Copper and B Vits.  My system will not allow me to "stack" anything, so unfortunately, I have to take EVERYTHING by itself. Including tea.

I haven't done the research on how taking trace min will effect Butyrate and Luteolin? the Do I stagger the trace minerals or take with them?

Oh also, someone on BB said Luteolin can affect GABA so I researched and found:

Luteolin inhibits GABAA receptors in HEK cells and brain slices - PubMed (nih.gov)

These data suggested that luteolin has negative modulatory effects on both the RE combining of genetic material from more than one CELL NEURON TO CROSSOVER TO ANOTHER and an internal cause GABAARs and inhibits phasic rather than tonic inhibition in hippocampus.

What is the difference between phasic and tonic inhibition?

Basically, phasic inhibition might control the flow of specific signals and tonic inhibition might regulate overall excitability [25]. Dec 30, 2014

---

phasic firing refers to a MOVING response with one or few action potentials at the onset of stimulus followed by accommodation

Generally speaking, tonic firing refers to a sustained response, which activates during the course of the stimulus; while.

Keep informed on how it goes for you.

image.png

image.png

I wouldn't have thought taking the trace minerals with or apart would make much difference to be honest @[AL...]. They're essential nutrients after all. But as you have problems staking things it's probably best to take them apart, at least in the beginning. That way you can tell if there's a reaction to 1 of them, maybe stagger 2 hours apart low doses and see how you feel? There's no need to rush and cause yourself issues.

I never looked at any interaction with GABA to be honest, I haven't been too concerned for a while now. I do still react to things, but it's short lived nowadays thankfully. Although I should probably take more care. Luteolin sounds like it's one to be careful with, so thanks for the heads up.

That make of Butyrate was the one I was looking at. I think it's about the best from what I've read, no added nasty's to react to. I bought the only Luteolin I could find on Amazon here in France that was crazy money, so hope it works out OK. Luteolin works very well with palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), it's a potent mast cell stabilizer, anti-inflammatory with gut health benefits. I quite like it, gives a nice mood boost. 

I'd like to try and  add some bone broth, but last time I tried my histamine went nuts. I might try again in a few weeks

I'll keep you updated on how things go

Edited by [Ha...]

Check out Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) by Dr Natasha Campbell if you really want good gut healing. You can even ferment your own foods for even better gut flora.

1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

Check out Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS) by Dr Natasha Campbell if you really want good gut healing. You can even ferment your own foods for even better gut flora.

Unfortunately fermented foods are off the menu if you have histamine issues, otherwise I'd do it for sure. Read it in the past and does sound like a good approach. 

Edited by [Ha...]

@[Ha...] I am struggling so with this.  It's so bad right now, I want to change my BB tag to "where is the hope".  The single, staggering supplement dose makes so much sense and it's my approach too.  The only trace minerals I take right now are Zinc Picolinate and Magnesium Oxide.  The Zinc really calms me at times. I don't take the Zinc daily though, I'm afraid of causing a Copper deficiency. 

My Gastro, Endo doc's are just no help here.  It is so sad how far behind medical science is behind and failing us in ways, you know? 

In the beginning of my taper withdrawal, I researched everything that interacted with GABA, now after almost four years post jump, I have assumed the neurons are almost normal?  My problem is my nerves too.  (heartbreaking negative family and friend relationships) I have always tried to be there for everyone and in this recovery, I'm in a ghost town here for me. Thank God for BB.

Thank you so much for GAPS info, I will definitely check it out.  Don't forget to let me know how the Butyrate and Luteolin works.  I will be trying first thing Feb.

I appreciate the help

• Like 1

@[Ha...] Might be on the right track with Butyrate.  I was just on REDDIT.

"Scientists are working on a butyrate supplement as we speak, in a form that will get it to the area of the gut it will be effective and also mask the terrible taste and smell. The goal is treatment and prevention of food allergies, possibly IBD and arthritis as well. There are a bunch of reports on it if you search for “butyrate micelles” but here’s a link to one of those for the lazy."

Could gut bacteria help reverse food allergies? (medicalnewstoday.com)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, [[H...] said:

Here's a copy of the GAPS diet book @[AL...] and anyone else that might be interested. Thanks @[Go...] for reminding me about it. 

Dr Natash has a bunch of youtube interviews too. She is a talker so buckle in :)

• 2 weeks later...

Little update on this as it's been a couple of weeks...

It's been quite hard going and thought I'd set myself back on a few occasions. I've had to stop a few of the things I've bought on recommendation of microbiome prescription, I just can't tolerate them and trying too much at once through impatience is never a good thing. But I'm definitely improving and feeling pretty good today to be fair. I'm not exactly sure why 😂, but I think it's the butyrate producing probiotic and PEA/Luteolin which I'm finding very helpful. I don't get on with CBD, but PEA which is also a cannabinoid seems to really hit the spot, although I found it stimulating at 1st.

Feeling hopeful overall and addressing my gut definitely seems to be the way forward for me. At nearly 4 years protracted, I wish I'd realised years ago how much my gut and histamine were playing a part in my suffering. I was convinced as many are that it was "just" a brain injury 

Onwards and upwards 

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 2

On 22/01/2024 at 15:09, [[H...] said:

palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), it's a potent mast cell stabilizer, anti-inflammatory with gut health benefits.

Hi H :hug:Raw egg yolk is very high in PEA    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7765232/

As well as choline, which is essential for brain repair and function https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7352907/

I drink an 'egg and butter latte' every morning as the brain also needs fat and butter contains butyrate

How I make an egg and butter latte

I do an egg and butter latte (but very rarely I add a teaspoon of decaff coffee) 3 or 4 raw egg yolks with 50 grams of butter (start with 20 grams until you feel you can tolerate more I'm used to a lot more high fat now as I'm doing high fat carnivore keto)  I put the butter then pour on 200 mils of boiled water into the blender.

A pinch of salt (even with the coffee, it tastes good) I add another 100 mils of cold water as I don't like my drinks too hot, I then add the egg yolks blend for 4 seconds, then behold a Batista style frothy latte!

Raw egg yolks are also the best source of vitamins and minerals on earth, along with liver but don't eat too much liver as too much will cause Vit A toxity, I eat 100-150 grams once a week when I remember, but the egg yolks can be eaten every day.   https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6470839/

Nova :smitten:

I was looking at the carnivore diet @[no...]. Very tempted to give it a go for a while. I think it'd be fairly easy, although  I do struggle with gluten free, I don't think I'd miss fruit and veg too much. I may give it a whirl.

That Latte sounds ok, I'll have to try that. Thanks for the tip :heybabe:. I'm convinced if I can heal my gut everything else will just fall into place. My head symptoms have got much better just with the 1 probiotic

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, [[A...] said:

@[Ha...]

Did you try the butyrate or Luteolin as of yet?

I tried the butyrate producing probiotic. It helped at 1st, but then started giving me insomnia. I'm cycling it, so will just take a morning dose in the future.

Luteolin was ok in low doses, but reacted quite bad to the full dose, so I won't do that again 😁

I'm not really giving anything much time to judge it, as it's recommend to cycle things a week at a time. I'm definitely seeing some improvement although it has been rough going at times. What exactly has given the best result though is unclear. Happy enough with the progress though.

Edit. I've been drinking safflower tea for a couple of days. I really like it, apparently over half the population of Saudi take it for stress/anxiety/depression 

Edited by [Ha...]

• 2 weeks later...

Little update. I'm doing alright. I've come on leaps and bounds since starting this and actually returned to work this week part time after nearly 4 years. Which has been a bit of a shock to the system. But so far so good.

I'll possibly do a retest in a couple of weeks to see how the rebalancing is coming along 

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Love 1

@[Ha...] I am so glad to here you are doing better.  I bought a book the other day on gut health.  I just have to make myself read it.  I do believe that working on our microbiome is key to feeling better and healing.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
[no...]
On 28/02/2024 at 06:09, [[H...] said:

actually returned to work this week part time after nearly 4 years. Which has been a bit of a shock to the system. But so far so good.

Yay H :highfive:hope it's still going good for you mate, :hug:I popped in t see how you were doing and am delighted for you to read this :clap:

Nova :smitten:

• Like 1

[Ha...]
On 30/03/2024 at 11:39, [[n...] said:

Yay H :highfive:hope it's still going good for you mate, :hug:I popped in t see how you were doing and am delighted for you to read this :clap:

Nova :smitten:

Thanks Nov. I'm doing ok in the grand scheme of things. Sticking to part time for now and still have the odd reaction to things. But on a whole doing much better :yippee:

• Love 1