NEW here - I need help figuring out a taper

Ive been on Ativan now for around 8 months now and i take anywhere from 0.5 a day to 2mg a day depending how bad the day but i usually take 1.5mg daily. But i want to get off of it because i just feel really dependent on it... Can someone please help me figure this out

and i have 1mg pills

Edited by [Ni...]

Hello @[Ni...], welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We can help you taper from the Ativan, have you noticed any changes in the intensity of your anxiety since you started taking Ativan, does it seem to have gotten worse?  I ask because we’ve found that once our body becomes dependent on the drug, it begins to cause what we took it to fix, only its worse.  

Also, do you take the Ativan once a day or have you noticed it wearing off and needing it more often? These are just some questions to determine if you might be dealing with interdose withdrawal, short acting benzodiazepines can leave us needing more before our next dose.

We typically suggest reducing your dose by about 5-10% every couple of weeks or whatever your symptoms will allow, this will hopefully keep you functional.  However, some people can taper off of these drugs with little to no problem, so you may not be facing what we do.

Let’s keep working this, we’ll help you figure this out.

Pamster

Thank you so much for responding and helping. So when i first started taking it it was defiantly helping a lot with the anxiety so i would take 1mg once a day and i was doing that for about 4 or 5 months. Then i started taking 1mg when i woke up and then after about six hours i would take 0.5mg to take the edge off. But more recently i have found that its almost not helping at all with my anxiety and almost seems to make it worse and im just in a constant state of panic and full of anxiety. i still have been taking 1mg when i wake up and 0.5 usually after 6 hours but i feel like i need more to get rid of the anxiety and panic attacks. But im scared to take anymore because i dont want to keep upping it cause i know its only gonna hurt me in the long run.

• Like 1

I’m sorry, it looks like your body is dependent on the Ativan you’ve grown tolerant to your dose, this means you need more to achieve the same effect.  

You’re wise to take control of this now before you have to raise your dose anymore, because if you did, your body would reach tolerance again and you’d need to raise it again eventually getting to the point where your doctor would refuse and then you’d be on a high dose and facing a longer taper.

Most of our Ativan users will dose 3 times a day to keep interdose withdrawals at bay so you might want to consider dividing your dose before you begin a taper to keep your blood serum levels as even as possible.  You don’t need to make your doses even, you can take the heavier dose when you feel you need it the most.  Some will take it at night for sleep, others have awful morning anxiety due to cortisol levels so they take a larger dose then.  

Will you be informing your doctor you’d like to taper from the medication?  It might be helpful as you taper to get a smaller dose pill size for easier pill splitting.  

Yeah i plan on informing him but at the moment he's out of the office on family emergency but as soon as he gets back i plan to let him know. so i should start by tapering 5 to 10 percent of what i take daily and then split that up 3 times a day? and then keep tapering over the weeks until im off of it? and i was recently prescribed Buspar to replace the ativan is that gonna be fine to take while im tapering and withdrawing off this?

I would split the doses before starting a taper because any changes we make have an effect and we need to allow our body time to adjust to the changes. 

Once you feel stable on the 3 daily doses, then it might be time to begin your taper but can we talk about the Buspar?  It can’t replace a benzodiazepine, it’s  a totally different class of drug.  Have you ever taken it before, how are you adjusting to it and why was it prescribed?  I’m not trying to pry but new medications come with side effects so it might be better to wait to see how the Buspar is going to affect you.  We advise tapering only one medication at a time so we can know what is causing what, the same goes for starting new medications. 

I totally get that it cant replace Ativan but i know i needed something else to help with my anxiety after i got off Ativan so i was prescribed Buspar and i haven't started taking it yet. I actually planned on starting it tonight which typically with medicine like Buspar it takes a while for it to show any signs of working. So would it be smarter to start the Buspar and see how i am on that for a couple weeks and then plan on tapering the ativan? And then continue taking my 1.5mg of Ativan alongside the Buspar?

I deal with really bad Cardiophobia so im constantly worried about my heart rate and that's why i was originally given the Ativan to calm me down and for i wouldn't worry about my heart. And i know this probably dosent matter to you but i did have a full cardiac work up and everything has come back completely fine.

Edited by [Ni...]

Ninja, hi, sorry to hear your having issues with lorazapam. Sounds exactly like what I am going thru. 9 months ago went back on lorazapam and 4 months later it stopped working, gave me more anxiety panic attacks 5i needed more but it did not help.i had to taper. 

It's difficult tapering a med that makes you feel worse but there is no choice.

I tried Buspar last go around and it did nothing to help me.

Maybe it will help u. As Pamster mentioned,  you only want to taper one drug at a time.

It only complicates things.

I wish u well with your taper, its a challenge but it's important to keep busy, don't get symptoms focused and ask this great community for help or if you just feel a need to talk, there are so many great people to talk to who've either Bern thru it or are going through this so I hope you'll keep that in mind. I'm just a benzo buddy, tapering and staying busy. 

Take care now,

Ns

• Like 1

@[ns...] Thank you for saying something it really means a lot cause we are truly all in this together and it sucks but each one of us will get threw it i know it! <3 Coming into here i was optimistic but you guys have already made a huge impact and i cant thank you enough. Talking really helps and you guys are very comforting so again thank you! You guys are truly amazing people!

Edited by [Ni...]
  • Like 1

You are so welcome! 

You've got the right attitude for sure, your already a step ahead!

Talk to u soon!

:clap:

Ns

• Like 1

Hi @[Ni...], I’m very glad to hear you had an full work up and you’re in good shape, these are things we need to know to help you.

I’m thinking it would be a good idea to hold off on your taper for a time while you adjust to the Buspar, does the literature tell you how long it typically takes to reach full effectiveness?  But yes, if you decide to do this then you’ll continue to take your 1.5 mg of Ativan and I wouldn’t change your dosing times while you’re introducing the Buspar, keep the changes to a minimum so you’ll know the true effects of the new medication. 

• Like 1

That sounds like a good idea ill start taking that then and when i feel adjusted to it i will come back here and let you know when im ready to start my taper off. I really appreciate the time you've taken to talk to me and help me it truly means a lot and i cant thank you enough!

ill talk to you soon!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
[Ni...]
Posted (edited)

Hello! It's been awhile but i would like to start trying to figure out a taper for Ativan now over these past 2 moths since Ive posted last Ive fully gotten myself of Medical Marijuana which was a brutal week and a half withdraw but feeling a lot better now off of it! But i have also increased my dose of Ativan i am taking 1mg in the morning and 1mg in the afternoon and usually a 3rd milligram at some point in the day if my anxiety is really bad. I also just feel so depended on it and feel like my body needs it to stay calm anymore and I'm tired of feeling like this so i would love some help with a withdraw plan.

I'm also taking 15mg of Buspar 3 times a day for anxiety which is helping quite a bit for anxiety and panic attacks. But I'm not sure if the Ativan is making me feel super anxious some days or if that's just still my anxiety and the Buspar isn't fully helping me. I'm just tired of being on Ativan its been around a year now on it and i want off of it but could use the amazing people on here to help me out :)

Edited by [Ni...]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
[Ni...]

So i have 2mg pills of Ativan and i want to withdraw off from it how would i go about tapering a 2mg pill would i just shave off the desired amount and put the little pieces in my mouth with water? Dont really know what to do and kinda at a roadblock :/

• Like 1

[ns...]
15 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

So i have 2mg pills of Ativan and i want to withdraw off from it how would i go about tapering a 2mg pill would i just shave off the desired amount and put the little pieces in my mouth with water? Dont really know what to do and kinda at a roadblock :/

Hi Ninja, 

Do u have a scale?

If not, Amazon smart weigh jewlers scale.  Really cheap.

I use a pill splitter, cut them in half and then a quarter to start but I had 1mg tablets and took 3/4 of my pill then went down from there.  It wasn't accurate and caused me much grief!

What is your current dose,? How many x per day do u take it?

We'll have to know this before you start your taper to determine how much to cut ok

Please post back with this information 

Take care

Ns

Edited by [ns...]
Addition
  • Like 1

[Ni...]

So good to hear from you again Ns!! I'm currently taking my 2mg pills and splitting them in half and taking 1mg when i first wake up and another milligram 8 hours later so a total of 2mg a day. I'm trying to get my script back to 1mg pills but until that happens i'm stuck with these 2mg pills.

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[N...] said:

So good to hear from you again Ns!! I'm currently taking my 2mg pills and splitting them in half and taking 1mg when i first wake up and another milligram 8 hours later so a total of 2mg a day. I'm trying to get my script back to 1mg pills but until that happens i'm stuck with these 2mg pills.

Hi Ninja, yes it's good to hear from you too!

So your taking 1mg 2x per day.

So you're splitting them but not weighing them right?

Can u get a scale? It's so important to have accurate weight, I can't stress this enough.

So you already know I'm sure that it's advisable to cut 5 to 10% per cut I'm sure. 

So since your at 1mg twice per day,

I would start using a nail file and shave off the percentage you want, by weight.

You'll be shaving off of the half. But each half is a different weight. It will never be accurate without a scale. 

Get that scale and a good file ok.

It's so important to have accurate doses, taken at the same time everyday. 

I'm still shaving mine but they are so tiny, I'll be grinding them to powder, so I'll still need to weigh it. 

Do u already have a scale?

[ns...]
2 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Can u get a scale? It's so important to have accurate weight, I can't stress this enough.

So you already know I'm sure that it's advisable to cut 5 to 10% per cut I'm sure. 

I would start using a nail file and shave off the percentage you want, by weight.

You'll be shaving off of the half. But each half is a different weight. It will never be accurate without a scale. 

I'm still shaving mine but they are so tiny, I'll be grinding them to powder, so I'll still need to weigh it. 

Lobodt Stainless Steel Nail File, Double-Sided Nail File, Metal Nail File, Reusable Natural Nail Art File, Nail Art Tool, Home Salon or Travel Mini Nail File Suitable for Both Men and Women 
https://a.co/d/ezVXEE5

Smart Weigh GEM20-20g x 0.001 grams, High Precision Digital Milligram Jewelry Scale, Reloading, Jewelry and Gems Scale, Calibration Weights and Tweezers Included 
https://a.co/d/2tmqeB6

[Ni...]
12 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

I don't have a scale or a file so i will buy the ones you just linked thank you!! So when i shave down a half of a pill do i just throw out the powder and take the pill?

[ns...]
10 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

I don't have a scale or a file so i will buy the ones you just linked thank you!! So when i shave down a half of a pill do i just throw out the powder and take the pill?

If your using that file, you can save it of you need to. I don't but I don't need it. It's pretty messy also. Those little nails files have glitter or something on them, whatever it is, it comes off with ever shave!

Are you pretty stable right now ninja?

Are you symptomatic right now?

[ns...]
1 minute ago, [[n...] said:

If your using that file, you can save it of you need to. I don't but I don't need it. It's pretty messy also. Those little nails files have glitter or something on them, whatever it is, it comes off with ever shave!

Are you pretty stable right now ninja?

Are you symptomatic right now?

When u get your scale let me know. Post it here. We'll weigh your pills and doses ok

[Ni...]
Posted (edited)

I'm not doing to bad at the moment experiencing some stuff but  nothing major I'm just tired of being on it and want to get off of it before i have to keep upping my dose.

And sounds good i just ordered them off amazon so they should be here within the next 2 or 3 days!

Edited by [Ni...]
  • Like 1

[ns...]
Just now, [[N...] said:

I'm not doing to bad at the moment experiencing some stuff but  nothing major I'm just tired of being on it and want to get off of it before i have to keep upping my dose.

Yes I understand ninja. That's good. Glad your ok

It may take a little bit to taper down but you will get there ok, we all want the same thing. Me included!

So when you get your scale, come back here ok. I'll be watching for your post, but there are others here who may chime in as well. Everyone is so helpful  you'll see. Talk to you soon ninja 

Hang in there ok

Take care

Ns

[Ni...]
10 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Yes I understand ninja. That's good. Glad your ok

It may take a little bit to taper down but you will get there ok, we all want the same thing. Me included!

So when you get your scale, come back here ok. I'll be watching for your post, but there are others here who may chime in as well. Everyone is so helpful  you'll see. Talk to you soon ninja 

Hang in there ok

Take care

Ns

Thank you so much again for the help, and i defiantly will be back here when they come in! And we are all in this together and we will all overcome this nasty drug!

• Like 1

[ns...]
7 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

Thank you so much again for the help, and i defiantly will be back here when they come in! And we are all in this together and we will all overcome this nasty drug!

We sure are ninja!

Talk to u soon!

:stretcher:

• Like 1