Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Hello from a poster from the past. 9 years off and I'm never better.

[Al...]

Tomorrow will mark 9 years off a nasty c/t from 5 mg of Valium and 10 mg of Ambien (I only used both drugs as a sleep aid and I do not promote C/T). I am no longer active in Benzo Buddies because I have moved on with my life however, I do try to pop in on my anniversary date (if I remember to). What is my life like 9 years after coming off both drugs? I never think about benzo's ever and I am 100% living my life just like I did before I ever took both horrific drugs. I sleep 8-9 hours per night without being dependent upon taking anything to sleep.  It's the best feeling in the world to sleep on your own and not feel drugged up in the morning. I am able to drink wine without any issues, and I have no uptick of symptoms. Please note I am not promoting alcohol however, I am sharing with you that one glass of wine does not effect me. I continue to work out daily as I have been working out for the past 33 years (cardio and lifting weights), I continue to eat a very healthy diet (low carbs, low histamine), lots of green veggies, fruit, chicken and salmon. For me my life has always been about eating healthy and working out 7 days a week. I remember the early days when I could not eat pepper and pasta sauce would send me into a wave feeling all revved up. Currently my memory is sharper than a nail and better than my friends memories. Two years ago my healthy brother died suddenly and I felt that I died with him. I was able to get through his funeral and mourn him without having any benzo set backs or relying on any meds to cope with his death. While mourning my brother it never even crossed my mind to take a benzo. 

Please read my former posts and success stories. Unfortunately I might not be able to answer all of your questions. Stay the course but please keep in mind we are all genetically different. What worked for me might not work for you and everyone has their own healing time. For some people it can take longer to recover; trust the people who went through this before you. I do believe the brain will fully heal and your brain will revert back to the way it was before you ever took a benzo. I never doubted that I wouldn't fully recover and I learned to except that healing could take a while.

I do remember New Years eve 2015 which was one of the darkest and worse years of my life. I could not wait to put that year behind me and to continue on a road to benzo recovery.  Happy New Year! 

Best always,

Always Frantastic

• Like 6
  • Love 5

It's nice to hear that people recover memory.

Today I remembered the password that I used for an old Gmail account!  It's a shame that I no longer have the phone number associated with the account.

It's the last day of the year and I don't have the patience to call Google lol.

@[Al...] Thank you for coming back every year to mark your anniversary and share the vivid story of your recovery.  It is a great gift that gives more hope to others than you will ever know!