Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Return of full depression, anxiety and or panic.

[Ol...]

Has anyone had depression, anxiety and or panic return full bore after you had tapered and been med free for sometime? I have heard That this could happen, may happen, but did it happen to you? And how did you handle it and proceed?

Of course the original symptoms that had you take benzodiazepines can/will return especially if you have not found a different way to manage them.

Benzos, like AD’s, antipsychotics blur everything but never address the root of the initial issue-issues that millions experience.

A new tactic, a new approach is now necessary. Look-when you go to a doctor wether it be for back pain, strange headaches, ummm, POTs, anxiety, depression-there is a SPECTRUM as everyone has different genetics, living environments (city, country), food/chemical sensitivity, ad infinum, so you’re a guinea pig. You can have a whole team-but nobody knows the answer until you just go through the process of elimination (dairy, histamines…), exercise (begin slowly then add until you raise your heart beat), sleep protocol (no screen time, food 3 hours prior…), actual real hydration-2 liters water/day… 

Then, THEN, get your bloodwork et al. Healing from anything is a process, not a quick fix, and healing is your, mine, responsibility. It just is.

Throw in Benzos? Well, welcome to the most challenging experience you will ever.go.through.in.your.life. But it is still YOUR responsibility to get through it. With help and support-medical, psychologically and socially-here and on other forums.

You WILL get to the other side and, nothing, I mean NOTHING will phase you, bother you like right now. 

Just remember you have got to be your own advocate in the end. Nobody can do for you what you absolutely have to do for yourself. And you can and will be victorious!!!

• Like 1

And the anxiety, panic. It can come back 10 fold. So, what are you going to do?

Research every tactic under the sun and use them: box breathing, somatic exercises, Insight Timer app for guided meditation to start your day, abrupt a panic attack; a microdose of an AD (as you have heard from many here already) to sleep; walk, stretch…

Look, there’s no magic bullet. There just isn’t. You have to do the work, trust the process, get support and breathe. BREATHE! 

• Like 1

And lastly, find comfort somewhere. It’s winter and a weighted blanket is just magic. Warm tea before sleep; comfort food that you can handle like potato soup, warm long baths, cold compresses (I had a cooler full next to my bed), and just visualize your future, dream-you must because this is not the end of your story. Dream, manifest and do anything to interrupt this constant negative looping thoughts.

I made 3 Playlists! And invested in the most comfortable pillows made. Be kind to yourself above all. 

Breathe….breathe….🙏

• Love 1

@[Ma...] I have had such a return. It returned in spades. And it returned with a new friend, high blood pressure. I have worked up a plan with the Doc to reinstate an SSRI and low dose Seroquel for sleep. Once the Zoloft takes effect the Seroquel goes. The new BP medicine, clonidine goes also to be replaced with a better BP medication. It is now pulling double duty as a BP med an anxiety med. 

• Like 1

Sounds like a solid plan!! Yay! Try that weighted blanket too, for sleep and anxiety. I cannot tell how ridiculously comforting it is.

And please keep us posted on your progress. I just feel you’re going to be feeling SO much better before you know it!

5 hours ago, [[O...] said:

Has anyone had depression, anxiety and or panic return full bore after you had tapered and been med free for sometime? I have heard That this could happen, may happen, but did it happen to you? And how did you handle it and proceed?

This happened to me. My 1st benzo was Xanax. I started it in the late 1980s. I was initially put on it for anxiety and panic attacks after a battery of medical tests ruled out anything physical for the SXs I was experiencing during this time in my life. After several years on Xanax (can't recall how many), I started to experience severe tolerance w/d (altho I did not know what it was called during this time in my life). There was really no benzobuddies or internet for that matter to help me. I knew inherently it was the Xanax and I needed to find a way to get off. I recall tapering the drug. I don't remember exactly how I tapered but I do recall it was fairly fast (less than 6 months). It was hard. I was miserable but I was able to finally stop and did start to feel better after a few months. I vividly recall the happiness I felt getting off the Xanax. I was able to work FT during this time. I stayed off over a year and I was feeling pretty good. (no anxiety or panic). Then, I had some stress at work. SXs of anxiety and panic came back. I did not know how to cope naturally so I turned back to the Xanax. I did not want to reinstate but I was also scared that I might lose my job and I felt I had to get this under control quickly so I could continue to work w/o taking too much sick time away from work. There you have it. I have been on benzos ever since. I went from Xanax to Klonopin and from Klonopin to the Valium that I am on to this very day. I am now at 1.5 mgs of Valium. I hope I can finally get off this time and stay off this crap for the remainder of my life. 🤞

• Like 1

9 hours ago, [[A...] said:

PS - My depression has always been mild. Anxiety is the main monster that has beaten me up the most.

The same with me as far as the anxiety. The PTSD was an added benefit years later.

Good morning everyone! When the doctors says 75mg’s of Seroquel is going to put you to sleep, believe him:D It worked and I look forward to a few more nights like this, Hoping fo the best.

So the plan is 50mg Zoloft, 75mg. +/- Seroquel for sleep, 2 .1mg am & pm Clonidine for BP and anxiety. Taper off the .5mg Klonopin that I have taken for 6 nights, down to .25mg for a couple nights, then .125mg. just to stay on the safe side taper this low dose.  The end result is to be using the Zoloft ONLY for the anxiety and PTSD and then go from there. The Dr. believes this current BP issue will right itself with the anxiety/panic going bye bye.