Important Survey - Please Participate ×

What’s safe to use for serious constipation?

[Dr...]

My son has such bad constipation that it is bound to become a medical emergency at some point. He’s terrified that at the hospital he’d be given something like magnesium citrate that will cause a setback. Prune juice hasn’t done the trick. He already exercises, drinks lots of water, and follows a high fiber, vegan diet. Wondering what experiences people here have had with magnesium citrate and anything else for  constipation.

Hospitals will give an enema if there is severe constipation they will not give anything orally like mag citrate or ex-lax etc..

Edited by [Sc...]
  • Like 1

@[Dr...] I took mag citrate for constipation several times during my taper and it did not produce a setback. My doc recommended it . . . told me what to purchase -- a liquid you can buy at the pharmacy. Lemon flavored. She said to drink half the bottle.  Alternatively you might try Miralax . . . supposed to be gentle. But I highly recommend mag citrate. It sure worked for me. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 02/12/2023 at 05:07, [[D...] said:

My son has such bad constipation that it is bound to become a medical emergency at some point. He’s terrified that at the hospital he’d be given something like magnesium citrate that will cause a setback. Prune juice hasn’t done the trick. He already exercises, drinks lots of water, and follows a high fiber, vegan diet. Wondering what experiences people here have had with magnesium citrate and anything else for  constipation.

He seems to be doing all the right things. Is he eating a whole-food vegan diet advocated by doctors like Joel Fuhrman, John McDougall, etc? There are many unhealthy vegan diets out there (junk food vegans) that will cause constipation. Flour products (cookies, cakes, crackers) are huge constipators. I had to cut them mostly out of my diet. I have also suffered with bad constipation. I am in remission currently. How long has he been struggling with the constipation? The mag citrate should not cause a setback IMO. How long has he gone w/o a BM. He needs to try to not let this turn into a medical emergency.

19 hours ago, [[S...] said:

Hospitals will give an enema if there is severe constipation they will not give anything orally like mag citrate or ex-lax etc..

This is great news, thank you!

17 hours ago, [[o...] said:

@[Dr...] I took mag citrate for constipation several times during my taper and it did not produce a setback. My doc recommended it . . . told me what to purchase -- a liquid you can buy at the pharmacy. Lemon flavored. She said to drink half the bottle.  Alternatively you might try Miralax . . . supposed to be gentle. But I highly recommend mag citrate. It sure worked for me. :classic_biggrin:

I’m really glad to hear this. Sounds like it’s very effective. C Everyone responds differently to various treatments though, so he doesn’t want to risk it. Would love to hear from other people who have taken magnesium citrate. The more positive experiences, the more likely he’ll be to take the chance.

15 hours ago, [[A...] said:

He seems to be doing all the right things. Is he eating a whole-food vegan diet advocated by doctors like Joel Fuhrman, John McDougall, etc? There are many unhealthy vegan diets out there (junk food vegans) that will cause constipation. Flour products (cookies, cakes, crackers) are huge constipators. I had to cut them mostly out of my diet. I have also suffered with bad constipation. I am in remission currently. How long has he been struggling with the constipation? The mag citrate should not cause a setback IMO. How long has he gone w/o a BM. He needs to try to not let this turn into a medical emergency.

For 18 months, since going off Ativan, he’s been doing an extreme, mostly raw and organic vegan diet. Fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and pea sprouts, when I can find them. Plus raw oatmeal, coconut milk and occasional quinoa. He eats a lot of volume but lately has a small BM once a day. I’m afraid it’ll soon be an emergency. I know the magnesium citrate would resolve the problem.

1 hour ago, [[D...] said:

For 18 months, since going off Ativan, he’s been doing an extreme, mostly raw and organic vegan diet. Fruits and vegetables, nuts, seeds, and pea sprouts, when I can find them. Plus raw oatmeal, coconut milk and occasional quinoa. He eats a lot of volume but lately has a small BM once a day. I’m afraid it’ll soon be an emergency. I know the magnesium citrate would resolve the problem.

Hmmm, the diet is healthy with lots of fiber. When did the problem with the constipation actually start?

4 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Hmmm, the diet is healthy with lots of fiber. When did the problem with the constipation actually start?

Sorry, the constipation started the same time he went cold turkey off Ativan - 18 months ago.