Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Did Taurine stop working overtime for you to calm?

[AL...]

Buddies, I found Taurine in the early stages of my withdrawal taper and it worked wonders to calm my anxiety.  Later I started having adrenal issues and after research, I combined it with Magnesium Citrate and that worked really well for me.  Now the combination makes me dizzier and causes brain fog, so I stopped taking Magnesium with Taurine.  So I tried Taurine alone and it seems now the Taurine doesn't calm me down.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  Did you try increasing the dose?

I appreciate the help.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried it very early on. Found it helpful to a point. But when I ran out I didn't get more as it was nothing ground breaking for me personally.

It could be because you've healed somewhat since you 1st took it? So when your nervous system was a bit more fragile the lower dose had more of an impact? As things have improved your not getting the same benefits? 

It doesn't sound like tolerance as such because you've taken a break from it. But then again, anything is possible with us I suppose. How much were you taking? Was it already I high dose?

That makes sense. It calmed so well in the beginning, I took it every day @ prob 5mg powder in water...I'm in a fear of increasing the dose too much.  The studies on Taurine are wishy washy.  One site says it helps to increase Gaba, then another says it does no.  One sit says it's beneficial for mast cell, etc.   Like you say, anything is possible.

Thanks for responding.

• 1 month later...
On 27/11/2023 at 08:58, [[A...] said:

Buddies, I found Taurine in the early stages of my withdrawal taper and it worked wonders to calm my anxiety.  Later I started having adrenal issues and after research, I combined it with Magnesium Citrate and that worked really well for me.  Now the combination makes me dizzier and causes brain fog, so I stopped taking Magnesium with Taurine.  So I tried Taurine alone and it seems now the Taurine doesn't calm me down.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?  Did you try increasing the dose?

I appreciate the help.

I have Taurine and take it.  It helps me sleep and calms anxiety. I don't take it everyday though.  Most thing you read say that you can but I have found in this process of coming off of benzos that most of the time my body responds better when I cycle on and off of supplements that help me.  I do this with Magnesium L-Theonate, L-Theanine, Taurine and Melatonin.  These do help me sleep because I have had terrible insomnia, but I have cycle on and off of them.