Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Supplements

[no...]

Ive been trying to do my own research today but just wanted to post as well to ask any members what supplements have helped them along their journey. from what I can see L-Theanine, Magnesium & Gaba are good for people to take.  I was just wondering if any combinations should be avoided if any and if there is anything else Im missing that could help. 

ty, Appreciated as Always

Hello @[no...],

Supplements can be tricky, some people seem to do well while others react negatively. I took no supplements during my withdrawal and recovery. Finally after one year off, my vitamin D levels were very low so I gradually added this vitamin. Even farther out I slowly added in omega 3. This was not for withdrawal, but for overall health.

The only thing I used was biofreeze, a non drug topical to help with nerve pain.

• Like 1

As pionogitl mentioned, it's a very individual thing. If you are still tapering slowly things can help. If you've CT'd your system could be on high alert and things can do more harm than good. There's nothing that is going to help everyone and there's nothing that is going to take away the hurt 100%. 

That being said, many people have found supplements beneficial in the process. From the few you've mentioned.....

Magnesium... Essential for a lot of bodily functions, calming and a muscle relaxant. A lot of people benefit from supplementing it. But it's a love or hate thing. Some have a bad reaction, so be careful if you decide to take it.

L-tgeanine... An amino acid which is fairly well supported from my experience. Calming and helpful for most. Not too overpowering. Yet some people report negative reactions to it.

GABA... Not worth playing around with from my understanding. It delivers little benefit for those that tolerate it, and messes with others from my understanding. (Happy to be corrected)

It's basically a bit of a minefield. A bit of trial and error and research. 

What are you trying to find relief from, or just general WD?

Edit.. I should promote my group https://benzobuddies.org/forum/138-topics/

Edited by [Ha...]
  • Like 2

Thanks very much the both of you for responding.  Im just trying to find some relief from the morning anxiety/panic , some trembling that results if even just going out for a walk sometimes.  I know im not going to get out of this without pain & suffering I just looking n for few things to help keep my body calm.  having to put a lot on hold bc I just can't focus, even watching YouTube tutorials for something im trying to learn is a major challenge. I have to watch it them over & over again, my brain just does not want to learn anything new or study at all at the moment. understandable I just hope im able to in the future again.  little scared but holding firm one here.  im going to try the magnesium then maybe the L Theanine afterwards if needed, trying not to throw too many darts at once, then maybe I can find if it works or doesn't. 

your replies are much appreciated

thanks kindly!

26 minutes ago, [[n...] said:

Thanks very much the both of you for responding.  Im just trying to find some relief from the morning anxiety/panic , some trembling that results if even just going out for a walk sometimes.  I know im not going to get out of this without pain & suffering I just looking n for few things to help keep my body calm.  having to put a lot on hold bc I just can't focus, even watching YouTube tutorials for something im trying to learn is a major challenge. I have to watch it them over & over again, my brain just does not want to learn anything new or study at all at the moment. understandable I just hope im able to in the future again.  little scared but holding firm one here.  im going to try the magnesium then maybe the L Theanine afterwards if needed, trying not to throw too many darts at once, then maybe I can find if it works or doesn't. 

your replies are much appreciated

thanks kindly!

For what it's worth, I've tried pretty much every supplement that's ever been mentioned. Some have helped to a degree. But the most helpful for me personally has been the spiritual or physical side of things. Honestly, I would have called anyone suggesting these these things to me a &£&##--. But I'm a complete convert. I was freaking out the other day, so I'd take some magnesium, nothing, I'd take something else, nothing, etc etc. Getting really freaked out now and put some 432 music on the headphones, got in the bath. I'm good... 

I take (not everyday)

Men's multivitamin gummy

Omega 3 fishoil

Magnesium 500mg, the 500mg is a bit high but it's the only available strength I could get at the time.

Melatonin 3mg for sleep, rarely use but helps a lot

Ditto to what the PainoGirl wrote. I do take 3 supplements for general overall health (Vit D, Fish Oil, and Vit B-12). 

Like @[Ha...] said, I too have tried almost every supplement under the sun (including the ones you mentioned) for benzo w/d / anxiety. I have never found anything to be of much benefit, but YMMV as they say.