Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Anyone know of safe blood pressure medications for protracted people?

[Jo...]

I am a 30 year old male. I took 4mg of Xanax daily in 2015 for 6 weeks. Got off with rapid taper 1/2/2016. I still have skin burning, buzzing, anxiety, irritability, obsessive thinking that come in waves. I have regular windows and periods of low symptoms.

I now have high blood pressure, lately around 160/95, when I'm in a wave. I am currently trying to lower my BP naturally by changing diet, losing weight, eliminating coffee, sugar, excess salt, etc. I exercise 5 days per week for over 30 minutes, both cardio and strength training. I take garlic capsules, CBD capsules, and I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin B complex, vitamin D, and omega-3 fish oil daily. 

I'm looking for a safe blood pressure med that won't hurt GABA receptors or cause increase in PAWS severity or duration. basically, I don't want to do any more damage to my nervous system with medication, but I need to get my blood pressure down to a safe level. 

I've already been on Metoprolol, which I got off due to side effects, and I was on Propranolol the last 2 years, which worked well, but I had to taper off because I gained a tolerance and it no longer worked. Now I'm looking at some other meds, and hopefully I can find one that won't be damaging. 

Anyone know of any meds that are safe for protracted people? Anyone have any experiences taking blood pressure meds? Please share!

Edited by [Jo...]
removed personal info, added prior meds

Hello @[Jo...] - welcome to BenzoBuddies!

My personal experience is that my blood pressure levels rose during the first year of withdrawal and I ended up needing to raise my blood pressure medication dosage.  Would that have happened if benzo withdrawal wasn't a factor?  Who knows?  I'm 4 years out and currently on two blood pressure meds, lisinopril and amlodipine.  I still have flare ups of anxiety when dealing with increased stress but I attribute that more to my benzo induced sensitized CNS.  For me, the bottom line is that high blood pressure in itself fed into my anxiety - having it under control is a comfort.

You may want to join our Long Haulers group and ask your question. https://benzobuddies.org/forum/137-topics/

Please continue to reach out and let us know how we can help you.

Thank you, Brighterday! I'll be sure to join that group. 

Can I ask, do you find that either of those meds, lisinopril and amlodipine, have made your PAWS worse, or hurt your CNS at all? My doctor wants me on amlodipine, but I've read that calcium channel blockers can interfere with GABA receptors somehow, so I haven't taken it. 

@[Jo...] - I don't think they've made the recovery process worse.  There's really no way of knowing for sure.  But in any case, I'm mostly recovered.  As I mentioned, the reassurance that my blood pressure is under control has meant less stress on my CNS.

I hope you get more good input from others.  

Glad you found us!

Brighterday