Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin??

[Ji...]

Gabapentin. Has anyone tried this drug? I had my very first consultation with a addiction doctor yesterday after tapering from 20mg of V over ten weeks. The doctor told me if she had been treating me my taper would have been over one year, scary. I have intolerable pain, I had unsuccessful lower back surgery many years ago which resulted in chronic back pain ever since. The doc prescribed 100mg of gabapentin 3 a day, yesterday was my first time taking the drug. It definitely helped me with the pain but when I checked my bp last night it was 147/90. I have been monitoring my bp since my last dose of 10mg V September 9th/23 it was on average 130/80, now I'm concerned that the drug is messing with my bp and I'm wide awake after just three hours of sleep. Luckily for me I was sleeping 5-8 hours prior to yesterday. Melatonin helped me with sleep. I Googled gabapentin and couldn't find anything about this drug that affected either bp or sleep caused issues. I understand we all react differently to these drugs. I was experiencing a high level of pain from head to toe and felt that I had to try something. Can any BB members share their own thoughts and experiences with gabapentin. I been prescribed 100mg three times a day. I am afraid of taking any medications period! is it possible for this medication to be messing with me after just one day??!!.

Jimmy.

Edited by [Ji...]

Wow!! just checked my bp 181/91 hr 57 ...this is crazy 😳 is it possible the gabapentin is increasing my bp to a level I've never seen before? 

I have to take Gabapentin for chronic pain from an accident and it keeps my pain in check.  Started it well before I was ever on a benzo.   I take 600 mg at night and have been on it for over a decade without any problems.  I’ve never increased my dose.  My blood pressure is 115/70 most days.  I would look at other things like diet/exercise, how much stress you are feeling etc before blaming the pill.  Not saying it couldn’t be a medication reaction but if it works for your pain I’d give it a chance.  Contrary to a lot of what you’ll read on the internet, the medication is well tolerated by most people and while it does need to be tapered, it’s generally not the horror that benzo tapering can be for many.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Wow!! just checked my bp 181/91 hr 57 ...this is crazy 😳 is it possible the gabapentin is increasing my bp to a level I've never seen before? 

180 is pretty high.  I would suggest getting seen at an urgent care to get it down if it stays that high when you recheck or if you have symptoms.  That kind of blood pressure (over 180 systolic) is getting into the danger zone that can cause organ damage.  Even if it doesn’t you should be seen soon even if it’s 140’s/90’s.  

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 1

Never heard of Gabapentin causing high blood pressure. I am taking it on my taper from 2mg of Klonopin. I find it extremely helpful in negating some of the withdrawal symptoms. Good luck

• Like 2

Thanks for the messages. I've been drinking water and walking slowly around the house and my bp reading has dropped from 201/103 down to 161/95 the numbness at the base of my skull seems to be easing. Has got to be from taking the gabapentin, otherwise why such a dramatic increase from just a few days ago when the reading was 133/82 × 57. Yes my neck shoulders and back pain was becoming unbearable, I had to try something, but won't be taking this medication again until I see the the doctor.

Gabapentin has a half life of 5 to 7 hours. I would stop taking it and see if your blood pressure improves. It’s a medication so it could cause symptoms that are not common.

• Like 2

I think that’s reasonable.  If it’s the medication it will stay lower.  Definitely keep checking it but not too often.  Anxiety can do some crazy things to blood pressure short term so don’t check until you’re in a quiet place and feeling relatively calm.  

• Like 1

Drugs affect people in diffrent ways, it could be gabapentin raising your BP, your anxiety wasnt incresing your BP previous from taking it, why would it increase with less pain while using a drug that usually lowers anxiety...  Drugs affect people diffrently, maybe you"re too early and too sensitive for such drug

im using stuff off label to deal with pain, you could research into them,a few suggestions, edaravone, pioglitazone and roflumilast, good luck

• Like 1