Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Bright spot in a dreary morning:

[kn...]

It was a mess outside when we got up this morning: rain, wind, flying leaves.  Our old Lab was at the door, itching to get outside.  There's not much that excites him any more so we bundled up and headed out.  Once outside he raised his head to the sky and smiled.  I know it's hard to think of a dog smiling, but I'm sure he was.  We walked for about half an hour (pretty much all I can do these days).  The guy did not want to stay on the sidewalk; he wandered through the mud and leaves and got soaked.  He seemed to love every minute of it.  Back home I wrapped him up in a towel and tried to clean him up before he went back inside.  He squirmed around just like he used to do when he was a puppy; totally blissed out in the moment.  Afterwards, he went straight to his bed and konked out.  But for that bit of time before, he made the most of it.  I'm trying to do the same these days, but it ain't easy. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this story.  I made me laugh and cry.  I have an older dog, who is much the same, and I am sure that both of them smile :)