Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Mirtazapine withdrawal/sleep disturbances

[Th...]

Mirtazapine withdrawal/sleep disturbances

Another stage of withdrawal, another horrible symptom reveals itself.

I'm shortly reaching 18 months since jumping. I've been on 15mg Mirtazapine for about a year. Recently I'd knuckled down by cutting out alcohol and not using cannabis to help fall asleep; I'd also resolved to start tapering the mirtazapine as I don't feel it's helping and may actually be delaying healing.

I'd been crudely tapering the mirtazapine by trying to break about a quarter off the tablet, quickly settling in taking half a tablet ie 7mg for the last 2/3 weeks. I was finding it hard to get to sleep and when I did sleep it felt like I was awake the whole time, or at least waking every couple of minutes. I was however rewarded with waking earlier feeling more refreshed despite not sleeping many hours, with more regular if brief windows and with more hours of sleep at a time on average.

Problem now is that a few times my wife tells me if been agitated in my sleep, struggling and shouting for someone/thing to F off, and the other night also sleepwalking for what I think is the first time. The sleepwalking has really shaken me (the shouting sounds fairly terrifying to witness too) and I'm thinking this may coincide with my tapering the mirtazapine, perhaps too fast. It might however be a sign of healing, albeit a disturbing one. Is this anything that anyone here can relate to? I'll be calling the doc about this tomorrow however I imagine there's as helpful advice available here, if not better. Thanks in advance 🙏