Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Antibiotics

[te...]

I have to get a tooth extracted and an implant put in and I am terrified of taking antibiotics. I had to take Keflex a couple years ago, and it really set me back. No one understands except the people on here. Is it crazy to try to do it without antibiotics?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2023 at 13:58, [[t...] said:

I have to get a tooth extracted and an implant put in and I am terrified of taking antibiotics. I had to take Keflex a couple years ago, and it really set me back. No one understands except the people on here. Is it crazy to try to do it without antibiotics?

I certainly understand the fear of taking antibiotics, but I would be very worried about a potential infection. I had a tooth extracted last December and was on antibiotics because I had an abscess around the tooth. I was holding my taper at that point, and I don't feel like it really set me back. I can't remember what antibiotic I was on, but I want to say it was Azithromycin.  Currently, I am taking a prophylactic antibiotic because I am on chemotherapy, and I don't notice that it has affected my taper. (It's Bactrim 3x per week.) 

Honestly, you have to do what is right for you, but maybe talk to your oral surgeon about your fears and see if there is a way you can do this that makes you comfortable. An infection in your jaw could be pretty serious. 

Jess

On 03/10/2023 at 22:58, [[t...] said:

I had a staph infection in my c-section wound and declined antibiotics because the last one I took really f’d me up and I am still bad. I had the wound packed with silver and that made it heal in 5 weeks. I know it was risky but I had a tiny baby and I knew that another setback would have made me so bad and I had already been given a lot of meds during my c-section so I knew I would have another setback anyway.

I had two dental implants done while in recovery. I also had to take antibiotics, azithromycin. It didn’t cause any problems in terms of withdrawal. 

4 hours ago, [[p...] said:

I had two dental implants done while in recovery. I also had to take antibiotics, azithromycin. It didn’t cause any problems in terms of withdrawal. 

Me: same as @[pi...]👍

I love my dental implants. No problems whatsoever.

I will get one more that is scheduled in Nov. of 2023. 🤞

Thanks all for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I'm holding off as long as possible on this, but at some point will have to bite the bullet. I also have frozen shoulder, so focusing on that right now. Doctor wanted me to get a cortizone shot and was not happy when I said no. Trying to get through life avoiding pharmaceuticals is so hard :(

Hi teegirl yes it's so hard getting through life without pharm but we have the knowledge now wish I'd realised this years ago my choices would be sooo different hope your frozen shoulder heals but a cortisone shot will help and they won't give you that many as you will have physio. My sister has it for her frozen shoulder. 🙏

I understand your fear, but you need to understand all the risks. Talk to your doctor again and let him/her know about your worries. Also, reading about the antibiotics you are supposed to take and finding out about other people's experiences might calm you down. I often use the Canadian Pharmacy site for this purpose. 

Edited by [ha...]