Important Survey - Please Participate ×

5+ years! All healed from mental symptoms.

[Ra...]

Hi everyone. I am now 5 years from my benzo use and feeling very good in many ways. I feel more like myself again. I was prescribed Ativan up to 5 mgs as needed sometimes more for about a year, and cold turkeyed multiple times.

I came back on here now to ask specifically about using an Anti depressant after not having to deal with the benzo withdrawal anymore. 
I know it might seem crazy because medication was what got me here in the first place, but since doing therapy I have found that I have ptsd from experiences from childhood. I have since started to take 25 mgs of Zoloft and instantly felt myself feel more like myself than I have in a while. I have only been taking it for about a week and it’s really benefiting me so far- but of course am nervous about starting another medication that I plan to slowly taper and withdraw from in the future. Has anyone been off as long as me, tried and antidepressant (Zoloft takers specifically) and slow tapered? I just want to know what the experience was like and if it was worth it to you, or if it was comparable to benzo withdrawal since our CNS is sensitive. Thank you so much!

Hi @[Ra...]

Wecome to BenzoBuddies!

I am so happy to hear you mostly recovered from your benzo ordeal. I can understand why you would want to use an AD especially since it's not to manage withdrawal symptoms. I don't have an answer for you unfortunately. My personal view on taking AD's in neutral and I don't have any personal experience with AD's after benzo's. I hope other members will offer their experiences.

• Love 1

I did take Zoloft for over a year many years ago if my memory serves me correctly. I was also on Klonopin during that time. I was having some issues while still taking the .5 mgs of K and started the Zoloft to see if it would help. I tolerated Zoloft pretty well from what I can remember without many side effects except some sexual ones. I also was not trying to get off the Klonopin during this time. After about a year on the Zoloft, I decided I did not want to take it anymore bc of the sexual side effects and I stopped it CT. I do not recall how much I was taking. Other than a few brain zaps, I experienced no other w/d SXs but YMMV as they say if and when you decide to come off of it.

I am now slowly detoxing valium with Lexapro and I am having some pretty good success. Lexapro did increase my anxiety when I initially began it but after a month, most of the anxiety dissipated and IMO, it is really helping me to slowly come off the valium. My sleep also is pretty good now despite the valium w/d. After I am completely off the Valium, I will continue the Lexapro 6 months, maybe a year and then I will slowly come off the Lexapro and see how I do. I will not CT the Lexapro like I did the Zoloft tho. I will taper it slowly over 4 or 5 months.

@[Ra...] Huge congrats on your 5 years off  the benzo. Benzos are great one-off meds or to take for very short durations but IMO not good to use for long-term management. Even Professor Ashton said in her manual SSRIs are a far better long-term option to manage some chronic mental health condition. IME, SSRIs are far easier to detox than benzodiazepines. They are not addictive in the same way as benzos are.

Have a great Saturday. 🌞

• Love 1
  • Angry 1

We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them - Albert Einstein. 

The question is, are you willing to go through with what you went through with the benzo with the antidepressant?

• 3 weeks later...

Second my thoughts with RameronAka1990. Antidepressants can form dependency in as little as 10 days, it can take multiple years to taper them. See survivingdepressants.org to learn more about zoloft. Having gone through benzo withdrawl, i hope you will make a wise decision.