Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Benzo flu?

[El...]

I have not interacted with people, except for my husband, in 5 days.  Yet I feel exactly like I have the flu - sneezing, runny nose, coughing, sinus issues, body aches, headache, run down, etc.  Body aches are flu-like, not like the awful deep body pain I have had.  Is there such a thing as benzo flu? I feel like I have heard of it somewhere.  I am scheduled to get a flu shot on Monday.  Should I go ahead a get it?

Thanks for any input.

Edited by [El...]
Spelling

@[El...]  What part of the world are you? Here in the US the optimal time to get the shot is between September to end of October. I am in the US, the east coast. The flu usually gets here later than the west coast because it travels from the Far East.  

Ask your doctor because you generally should not get the shot if you are feeling sick. You could delay the shot until you feel better. Sometimes I don't don't get my shot till the beginning of November, but then again, I am on the US east coast. The season here peaks between December and February.

I know some of this because I used to sell the flu vaccine. I hope the info below helps. You may have a similar site if you are out outside of the US. Maybe the WHO has info. I hope this helps.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/acip/summary/summary-recommendations.htm#:~:text=For most persons who need,not recommended for most groups.

Edited by [Gr...]
typo

18 hours ago, [[E...] said:

I have not interacted with people, except for my husband, in 5 days.  Yet I feel exactly like I have the flu - sneezing, runny nose, coughing, sinus issues, body aches, headache, run down, etc.  Body aches are flu-like, not like the awful deep body pain I have had.  Is there such a thing as benzo flu? I feel like I have heard of it somewhere.  I am scheduled to get a flu shot on Monday.  Should I go ahead a get it?

Thanks for any input.

@[El...],

I did have what I described as ‘benzo flu’, but the symptoms were withdrawal types of symptoms like muscle and nerve burning and pain. It sure sounds to me like you have a virus. We’ve passed around the ‘family cold’ recently and had the same symptoms you speak of. Incubation periods vary so you could have been exposed at some time. We all took covid tests and they were negative. We used copious amounts of tissues, drank plenty of liquids and it went away, I hope you feel better soon.

pianogirl :smitten:

Thanks for your replies!  Much appreciated.  I took care of my grandson a week ago.  Although he did not appear sick, he is 5 year old "walking petri dish"!  I also went swimming on Monday and used the locker room.

Guess I will hold off on the shot (as suggested) until I'm over whatever this is.

Hi again @[El...],

It looks like you had plenty of opportunity to catch the bug. Yes, those little ones spread also sorts of things around, especially since school,just recently started. Take good care!

• 1 month later...

Late September, I posted a question about benzo flu.  At the time, I thought maybe I had picked up something from my young grandson.  But, ever since then, I will go 3-4 days feeling really flu-like.  Then I perk up for a couple of days.  Then repeat the cycle.  I have put off getting my flu shot and my covid booster several times because I thought I had the flu.  But now, since it has been repeating itself so many times, I am wondering whether this is just another withdrawal symptom.  I am getting so weak from inactivity thinking I should not subject anyone else to my "germs"-so no gym, no walking, etc.

Any thoughts?  Thanks.