Jump to content
Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Lingering depression after physical symptoms healed


[Wa...]

Recommended Posts

Hello - I am 18 months off my benzos and am delighted to report that the agonising akathisia and my myriad of other terrible symptoms have resolved hurrah!  My question is:  I am left with a lingering depression - a total incapacity to feel joy - despite my overpowering relief.   I never had depression before I took a benzo.  Should I try an antidepressant, or just stick it out I I wonder?  (I know BB is not here to give medical advice, I am just interested to hear from anyone else who may have had this experience?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @[Wa...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You will find a spectrum of views about using antidepressants at BB. I would suggest that it depends upon the person and their situation.

If you are suffering depression as a withdrawal symptom and are considering taking an antidepressant to alleviate this, you should know that antidepressants carry their own set of side and withdrawal effects. And generally, their withdrawal effects have a lot in common with benzodiazepines.

I would not suggest that you do not take an antidepressant. But if the depression is relatively mild, and likely to be a withdrawal symptom, you should consider the potential of creating a new dependency, with its own set of potential problems. If you ever feel that your depression is overwhelming you, you must seek medical advice and help.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anhedonia is the inability to experience joy or pleasure. You may feel numb or less interested in things that you once enjoyed. It's a common symptom of many mental health conditions like depression.  This may be related to your withdrawal even though your other symptoms have resolved.  I know a few members that had this symptom long after their other symptoms went away.  As Colin said, an AD is a personal choice, but IMO, I'd give it more time to see if it resolves on its own?  Good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[Wa...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You will find a spectrum of views about using antidepressants at BB. I would suggest that it depends upon the person and their situation.

If you are suffering depression as a withdrawal symptom and are considering taking an antidepressant to alleviate this, you should know that antidepressants carry their own set of side and withdrawal effects. And generally, their withdrawal effects have a lot in common with benzodiazepines.

I would not suggest that you do not take an antidepressant. But if the depression is relatively mild, and likely to be a withdrawal symptom, you should consider the potential of creating a new dependency, with its own set of potential problems. If you ever feel that your depression is overwhelming you, you must seek medical advice and help.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, [[W...] said:
18 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Hello @[Wa...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

You will find a spectrum of views about using antidepressants at BB. I would suggest that it depends upon the person and their situation.

If you are suffering depression as a withdrawal symptom and are considering taking an antidepressant to alleviate this, you should know that antidepressants carry their own set of side and withdrawal effects. And generally, their withdrawal effects have a lot in common with benzodiazepines.

I would not suggest that you do not take an antidepressant. But if the depression is relatively mild, and likely to be a withdrawal symptom, you should consider the potential of creating a new dependency, with its own set of potential problems. If you ever feel that your depression is overwhelming you, you must seek medical advice and help.

Expand  

Thank you so much Colin.  The depression comes and goes, I am mot suicidal or anything, I am sure it is a withdrawal symptom, so I have decided to stick it out.  Thank you so much for helping me.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, [[W...] said:

Thank you so much Colin.  The depression comes and goes, I am mot suicidal or anything, I am sure it is a withdrawal symptom, so I have decided to stick it out.  Thank you so much for helping me.

You are welcome, @[Wa...]. I'm glad I could help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/09/2023 at 10:30, [[T...] said:

Anhedonia is the inability to experience joy or pleasure. You may feel numb or less interested in things that you once enjoyed. It's a common symptom of many mental health conditions like depression.  This may be related to your withdrawal even though your other symptoms have resolved.  I know a few members that had this symptom long after their other symptoms went away.  As Colin said, an AD is a personal choice, but IMO, I'd give it more time to see if it resolves on its own?  Good luck!

My guess is that it's more than a few Benzo long-hauler members who have post-benzo discontinuation Anhedonia.  In my case, this symptom has lessoned with the passing of time, but I still do not feel "normal".

I don't sit around dwelling on it.

Fortunately, it's easy to be upbeat, even though I know something is still not right....that's just my personality. However, I do wish I felt more driven to do things that the average person automatically does/thinks/feels without giving it any forethought. I do have goals in mind that I've set with the  intent of attaining/&maintaining.....so as to feel better and not defeated. 

Edited by [Bl...]
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don’t do it! Stick it out. We don’t know exactly what interactions antidepressants have with gaba receptors. You’re lucky your physical symptoms have improved, just wait and I’m sure your depression will resolve soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @[cu...]

You are new here - we do things a little different to most other message boards - and you are probably unware of the following rule. No biggie - just a heads-up. :)

Quote

Please adopt a non-prescriptive writing style. Relating your experiences, stating options, or posting suggestions of what other members might do are all welcome. However, advising members of what they should or must do is against the ethos of the BenzoBuddies Community. Nor should you attempt to 'diagnose' medical problems or suggest medical treatments to other members. This policy also applies to members with medical qualifications. A more detailed explanation of this policy can be found in our Guidelines Regarding the Giving of Medical Advice document.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 22/09/2023 at 08:49, [[W...] said:

Hello - I am 18 months off my benzos and am delighted to report that the agonising akathisia and my myriad of other terrible symptoms have resolved hurrah!  My question is:  I am left with a lingering depression - a total incapacity to feel joy - despite my overpowering relief.   I never had depression before I took a benzo.  Should I try an antidepressant, or just stick it out I I wonder?  (I know BB is not here to give medical advice, I am just interested to hear from anyone else who may have had this experience?)

Welcome to BB @[Wa...]. Good you hear all your other SXs have resolved. What benzo did you detox? Has the depression been 18 months or did that just start recently? I can't tell you what to do but I personally decided to take Lexapro with the intention of slowly weaning off the Lexapro after I am done with the benzo withdrawal process.

Professor Heather Ashton said>>>

Quote

 

Antidepressants. Antidepressants are the most important adjuvant drugs to consider in withdrawal. 

There is a school of thought, mainly amongst ex-tranquilliser users, that is opposed to the taking of any other drugs during withdrawal. But suicides have occurred in several reported clinical trials of benzodiazepine withdrawal. If depression is severe during benzodiazepine withdrawal as in any other situation, it seems foolhardy to leave it untreated.

Antidepressants not only alleviate depression but also, after 2-3 weeks, have anti-anxiety effects. They are in fact a better long-term treatment than benzodiazepines for anxiety, panic and phobic disorders, and may in some cases actively help the benzodiazepine withdrawal process.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for asking antibenzo 7!  I was given 1mg lorazepam when needed over 18 months to ‘help’ me withdraw from pregabalin (to which I had a very bad reaction) - but it only ended up making the problem worse….in my case, I built up tolerance even though I only took it a few times a week.  It is now my mission to try to spread the word that it is possible to have protracted withdrawal even from small and intermittent doses, especially if your nervous system is already compromised, as mine was.   Thank you for sharing your experience with lepraxo - very useful.  As my recovery is progressing, I’ve decided to ‘stick it out’ for now, but will revisit in a few months.  Sending thanks and healing vibes! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/09/2023 at 20:51, [[A...] said:

Welcome to BB @[Wa...]. Good you hear all your other SXs have resolved. What benzo did you detox? Has the depression been 18 months or did that just start recently? I can't tell you what to do but I personally decided to take Lexapro with the intention of slowly weaning off the Lexapro after I am done with the benzo withdrawal process.

Professor Heather Ashton said>>>

Sending a big wave and very best to cur020.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 24/09/2023 at 05:25, [[B...] said:

My guess is that it's more than a few Benzo long-hauler members who have post-benzo discontinuation Anhedonia.  In my case, this symptom has lessoned with the passing of time, but I still do not feel "normal".

I don't sit around dwelling on it.

Fortunately, it's easy to be upbeat, even though I know something is still not right....that's just my personality. However, I do wish I felt more driven to do things that the average person automatically does/thinks/feels without giving it any forethought. I do have goals in mind that I've set with the  intent of attaining/&maintaining.....so as to feel better and not defeated. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for sharing your experience bluerose - yes that is very much my experience, lets hope it continues to get better for both of us with the passing of time, as appears to be the case with most people.  Sending healing vibes!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/09/2023 at 15:32, [[W...] said:

Thank you for asking antibenzo 7!  I was given 1mg lorazepam when needed over 18 months to ‘help’ me withdraw from pregabalin (to which I had a very bad reaction) - but it only ended up making the problem worse….in my case, I built up tolerance even though I only took it a few times a week.  It is now my mission to try to spread the word that it is possible to have protracted withdrawal even from small and intermittent doses, especially if your nervous system is already compromised, as mine was.   Thank you for sharing your experience with lepraxo - very useful.  As my recovery is progressing, I’ve decided to ‘stick it out’ for now, but will revisit in a few months.  Sending thanks and healing vibes! 

👍 @[Wa...]

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...