Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Fasting for health and weight loss

[An...]

Has anyone here ever fasted? I have done 24-hour fasts. Those are pretty safe to do without any medical supervision. I used to do these regularly about once a month. I was not doing them for weight loss but for general overall health and well-being.

If you have fasted, have you done it for more than 24 hours?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi AntiBenzo7, 

I did fast for 3 days some years ago to see if my IBS-D would get any better. I wasn't in this benzo situation back then and didn't have a lot of other symptoms then dry mouth, Ibs and fatigue. 

The fasting didn't improve my Ibs, but is also didn't take enough salt and electrolytes with them. Also I'm always close to being an underweight, so I don't have a lot of room to loose weight. 

Can't say if fasting would do anything during benzowithdrawal. I would say it'll be safe to try intermittent fasting with a small eating window first and see how you feel

• 3 weeks later...

I have been intermittent fasting for years, 18/6. I did my first 24 hour fast about 3 weeks ago, it was a piece of cake. I'm currently in the 39th hour of a 48 hour fast. Unfortunately I'm too lightheaded to continue. I have my bone broth next to me and about to it heat up. I was hoping that my morning and evening belching from benzobelly would subside while fasting, no such luck. I know the benefits of fasting are countless, I will continue. I'm hoping the benzobelly will ease soon.

Take care.

Edited by [Kr...]
Wrong spelling
  • Like 1

@[Kr...]

Did you take enough electrolytes? 

Also I'm on a ketogenic diet, which makes fasting a lot easier. When the body and brain are adjusted to burning ketones, the bloodsugar situation is less of a problem during 1 day or multiple day fasting. 

I've been on and off of keto for years, also prior to starting any medication. Always tried to deal with chronic fatigue and Ibs. Right now I'm doing it for 3 months, I tend to get in ketosis rather fast. 

The carbs I eat are mostly non starchy vegetables. I follow dr. Eric berg's diet more or less. Lots of vegetables, meat (mostly red meat), fish, nuts, olives and olive oil, avocado, some berries, eggs... 

I try to go for organic and grass fed 

Edited by [Du...]
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, [[D...] said:

I've been on and off of keto for years, also prior to starting any medication. Always tried to deal with chronic fatigue and Ibs. Right now I'm doing it for 3 months, I tend to get in ketosis rather fast. 

The carbs I eat are mostly non starchy vegetables. I follow dr. Eric berg's diet more or less. Lots of vegetables, meat (mostly red meat), fish, nuts, olives and olive oil, avocado, some berries, eggs... 

I try to go for organic and grass fed 

OIC, thanks. I have watched a lot of Dr. Berg's videos. He is very knowledgeable. He should have gone to school to be a MD instead of a chiropractor. You say you are doing it for 3 months this time. What will you go back to eating after the 3 months of keto? I have a friend who does keto from time to time for hunger control and weight loss.

• Like 1

In general I tend to eat less ketogenic in the spring/summer. Autumn and winter more keto, since that's the more natural thing to do. 

Sometimes I go out of keto because of social reasons, like Christmas dinner etc. 

I haven't made up my mind yet during benzo wd

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/09/2023 at 09:32, [[A...] said:

Has anyone here ever fasted? I have done 24-hour fasts. Those are pretty safe to do without any medical supervision. I used to do these regularly about once a month. I was not doing them for weight loss but for general overall health and well-being.

If you have fasted, have you done it for more than 24 hours?

@[An...] I have done intermittent fasting and it has a lot of benefits for the body.  I have been looking at doing a fast for health and healing of the body and brain.  A 3 day fast is very good if done correctly.  Many people fast and just don't eat.  There are many reason to fast but it the reason is for healing and detoxing there are different things that you body needs at certain points in the fast.  I am putting the link to someone that can explain this way better than me.    :)

Hope this helps!!  

• Like 1

On 22/10/2023 at 12:27, [[m...] said:

Hi I could do with trying a fast I don't eat much anyway but my digestion seems to have slowed down since being on clonazapam🥴🥴

Hi Mermaid,

I think the occasional 24 HR fasts can have some great health benefits and most can be done safely w/o medical supervision. I know when I was doing the monthly 24 HR fasts, after 24 hours of not eating, you have a profound appreciation for food, even healthy foods that you may not like eating as much. It is a great way to jumpstart into eating healthier. Fasting is also a great way to relieve food boredom and reset your taste buds. 😁

On 21/10/2023 at 10:45, [[A...] said:

Thanks @[Du...] and @[Kr...] for your replies.

@[Kr...], yes, 24-hour fasts are pretty easy. What is your 6-hour eating window on the 18/6? Are you off benzos? How long have you been dealing with the bloat from the benzo belly?

@[An...] My eating window is 1pm to 7pm, with a lighter meal @ 1pm and a heavier meal before 7pm. I just finished another 40 hour fast about 3 hours ago. Samething, too weak to get to 48 hours. I should have had some electrolytes yesterday my calves were cramping up all night. Live and learn as they say. I will try again soon. I have recently started taken Glycine and Taurin supplements and my belching and gas from benzobelly has improved. I've spent hundreds of dollars on supplements while going through withdrawal but this is the first time I can honestly say I felt something other then disappointment. I would highly recommend watching the videos of Pottenger'sHuman on Ytube if you want more information. Obviously I still have plenty of other symptoms having recently tapered from 2mg of diazepam to 1mg. It seems to work for me but everybody is different especially when it comes to tapering and withdrawal. 

Take care all

Edited by [Kr...]
  • Like 1

Really interested in fasting. Intermittent fasting is another way to ease into it. I tend to do that anyway over night but definitely could try increasing the hours by stopping eating earlier in the day and then eat later the next morning. Definitely think it is something to ease into gently with nervous system injuries though. As the endocrine system is often affected and blood sugar imbalances can occur.

On 02/11/2023 at 13:33, [[L...] said:

@[An...] I have done intermittent fasting and it has a lot of benefits for the body.  I have been looking at doing a fast for health and healing of the body and brain.  A 3 day fast is very good if done correctly.  Many people fast and just don't eat.  There are many reason to fast but it the reason is for healing and detoxing there are different things that you body needs at certain points in the fast.  I am putting the link to someone that can explain this way better than me.    :)

Hope this helps!!  

Love this! I’ve learnt a lot from this lady over the years ☺️

• Like 1