Important Survey - Please Participate ×

How to know if you’ve been floxxed by cipro

[pa...]

I was on Cipro twice in a 7 week period.  I noticed I feared like my clonazepam wasn’t working right.  I was having bad anxiety and depression like I’ve never had.  I took the last if the Cipro 6 weeks ago.  My psychologist even noticed things where much worse,’.  But I had no idea Cipro could cause acute withdrawal and the doctors who gave it to me didn’t either.  My question is can you be ok at some point from this and how do you know if you’ve been floxed?  I don’t know exactly what the means and if there are any other meds I can’t take now?  I’m also on propranolol for migraines.  I have a vertigo disorder and while on the Cipro I noticed the dizziness getting worse but was also on flagyl and thought it was that.  I have dizziness everytime I’m standing for a length of time sometimes just minutes and when I bend over.  What can I do about this to help?  Can I take magnesium, folate and methylcobamin b 12.  I also gave the Mthfr gene and I’m hypothyroid.  Any help woukd be great.  Also us there a specific doctor I can see to get help?  

@[pa...] I know you've asked about being floxxed and unfortunately I don't know much about that. But I do want to mention something else to you. I also get really bad migraines and I was looking into propranolol as treatment. A friend of mine is using it as migraine treatment. I saw on another post you say you're taking 10mg. My doctor said in order for propranolol to have any effect on migraines you need to take more than 200mg per day. My friend is taking 220mg.

I have low blood pressure and I cannot take such a large amount because my blood pressure will plummet. I tried 15mg but I got very dizzy with it and never tried again. Now your blood pressure might be fine but I'm just saying according to my doctor unless at very high doses beta blockers won't do anything for migraines. 

4 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I believe your use of Cipro is what has caused you to experience problems with the Clonazepam, there is a black box warning associated with benzodiazepine use when taking it.  https://www.benzoinfo.com/medications-and-supplements/#fluoroquinolone-antibiotics

Your plan sounds good and I like how much time you’ll be allowing yourself, we believe doing a symptom based taper will help keep us functional.  

This video may be helpful in explaining linear vs exponential tapers.  

Hi jelly, I was originally on 35 mgs, 20 at night and 15 in the afternoon but I have low blood pressure to and had to cut it back to 10 at bedtime only.  Therapeutic dose is 80mgs.  But I’m sensative to meds so sometimes even low doses can help.  

@[pa...]

Did you experience any tendon pain during or after taking the cipro?

Fluoroquinolones can cause damage to connective tissues such as tendinitis, snapped Achilles tendons, and aortic ruptures. It's no secret. The FDA requires black box warnings about it on the packaging. But it seems that most doctors have never seen the packaging, much less read the warnings.

You can find more information about fluoroquinolone side effects here:

fluoroquinolone side effects - Google search results

floxed symptoms - Google search results

Not everyone is damaged by fluoroquinolones, and certainly not right away. Those who do experience damaging side-effects may have taken several separate courses of the antibiotic before they notice any of these side effects. So you may have no damage at all from taking them. But for several years now, the FDA has been telling doctors that they should not use fluoroquinolones as a first-line treatment, but only as a last resort, when no other antibiotic will work. You might want to mention this to your doctor. And of course, if you believe you have experienced any bad side-effects from the cipro, you would want to tell your doctor.

Edited by [re...]