Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Trazadone

[kl...]

In April I made a significant mistake in going from 1 MG of clonazepan to .50 MG and have not stabilized since. The worse symptom at the beginning was a huge wave of insomnia. I got slammed with a few weeks of zero perceived sleep. Then I was prescribed Trazadone. It got me to sleep a few hours a night and now I’m sleeping ok but I am just flat out exhausted throughout the day. It seems like I traded no sleep for pure exhaustion throughout the day.

I am on 100 MG of Trazadone and wondering if it could be adding to my fatigue. Has anyone been successful in stopping Trazadone relatively quick with no issues. My psychiatrist said you could stop at any point no problems but sometimes I feel like she underestimates what tapering should be as I was first told to go from 2 Mg of clonazepan to 1 Mg. That didn’t work and have made to drastic of cuts since.

Make a long story short can you just stop and start Trazadone or take it as needed as she says you can? Anyone had success stopping it?

Hi, @[kl...].  I'm glad to hear you are sleeping a bit now.  That is good sign in regards to 'stabilization' imo.  Fwiw - I was able to taper off 100mg Trazodone without consequence.  I certainly wouldn't risk just stopping taking it however.  Everyone is different, but I do think most people do not have too hard a time getting off Trazodone.  I went down to 75mg for 1-2 weeks... 50mg 1-2 weeks...25mg 1-2 weeks...discontinue.

Perfect thank you. I just never battled fatgue until starting the Trazadone even when on the clonazepan for so long. I don’t know if it’s just a combo of being exhausted from the taper or the addition of Trazadone that actually makes my fatigue worse. Why did you taper the Trazadone of you don’t mind me asking and did it help whatever you were getting off of it for? Thank you for the info. 

@[kl...] I'm still exhausted and feel fatigued most days unfortunately.  Personally, I believe it is all the benzo.  I tapered the Trazodone because I didn't find it to be helpful to my sleep.  I also was planning on adding mirtazapine and those medications have interactions I was concerned with.  

Unfortunately, the mirtazapine doesn't seem to help much either, but I am not risking discontinuing the mirtazapine at this time.  I blame all my symptoms on the benzo and associated taper, and I haven't found any supplements and/or medications that have been worthwhile.  I am now done chasing benzo symptom 'fixers' in the form of supplements and medications.

Also, you did nothing wrong; however, I am moving this thread to the 'Health Matters' forum as discussions regarding other medications should garner better response within that forum.