Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Antipsychotics ruined my life

[Bo...]

Antipsychotics destroyed my life.

I had psychosis and was treated with these damned pills 9 months ago which obliterated my life and got me into this living hell.

Im now back at the ward a second time for a suicide attempt because I couldnt handle the side effects

Hello @[Bo...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Judging from your username, you are from the UK - yes?

We will try to help you, but you make no mention of benzodiazepines. Just to let you know, benzodiazepine use and withdrawal is our main focus.

Because your comment about suicide, I wish to alert you to one of our rules. You comment was fine as a factual statement, but we are not equipped to help with discussion around suicide and suicidality. The relevant rule:

Although we deeply sympathize with those experiencing suicidal feelings or ideation, to protect the sensitivities of the greater majority of our members - and most importantly, for your own safety - discussions and commentary regarding suicide, suicide ideation, self-harm, or threats of self-harm are not allowed at this forum. If you experience such feelings or thoughts, you must contact your doctor or other suitable healthcare practitioner. You will find more information at our Suicide, Self-Harm & Threatening Behavior webpage.

Again, just a heads-up.

Have you taken benzodiazepines? Are you taking benzodiazepines now?

3 hours ago, [[B...] said:

My case is of antipsychotics which give a similar fate just like benzos I guess...

No antipsychotic users here? 

Yes, there are some members here with experience of various antipsychotics. What medicines do you take? Doses? What problems are you experiencing?

The support we can offer you will be somewhat limited. But other members might have links to other support groups which might better suit your needs.

I sadly have all the side effects possible. My life has been destroyed.

Insomnia, akathisia, anhedonia, zero motivation, zero joy, pssd, and more.

Took risperidone, olanzapine, and now perphenazine at the hospital for my attempt

@[Bo...]

In what doses, if I may ask? Was this in a hospital setting? You said you had psychosis. What was the cause?

Antipsychotics are not the same as BZD, but these are very potent meds. I used to take them in small doses for sleep until Feb. 2016.

It seems like you took them for a short time, though. Are you on any other meds?

Hello and welcome to BenzoBuddies, @[Bo...].  I’m sorry for your troubles.  

You and your doctors might find the work of Dr. Mark Horowitz and Dr. Joanna Montcrieff at University College London of interest:

A Method for Tapering Antipsychotic Treatment That May Minimize the Risk of Relapse
https://markhorowitz.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/sbab017.pdf

Research into Antipsychotic Discontinuation and Reduction (RADAR)
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/psychiatry/research/epidemiology-and-applied-clinical-research-department/research-antipsychotic

• Like 1