Open Group  ·  69 members

Music Lovers

Songs from the 60s

[Ro...]

7 hours ago, [[r...] said:

1963 marked the birth of Bossa Nova - in the USA, at least.
This is the original version from the album Getz/Gilberto.
You may never have heard this version before, but you should.

I actually own that album. :thumbsup:

Sadly we lost Astrud just a few months ago.

I almost posted Mas que Nada in your Canciones en Español thread on the rationale that Portuguese is pretty close to Spanish and I didn't think I could support a pure Bossa Nova thread, but I decided that just wouldn't be right. So I dropped it in here in the 60s thread. Big Brasil 66/Sérgio Mendes fan.

Is Portuguese close enough to Spanish as to be mutually intelligible? I'm thinking it is but not 100% sure.

On 05/09/2023 at 19:35, [[N...] said:

I actually own that album. :thumbsup:

Sadly we lost Astrud just a few months ago.

I almost posted Mas que Nada in your Canciones en Español thread on the rationale that Portuguese is pretty close to Spanish and I didn't think I could support a pure Bossa Nova thread, but I decided that just wouldn't be right. So I dropped it in here in the 60s thread. Big Brasil 66/Sérgio Mendes fan.

Is Portuguese close enough to Spanish as to be mutually intelligible? I'm thinking it is but not 100% sure.

I own the album too. It's great. The only Portuguese I speak are the songs I've memorized from that album.

I'd say Spanish and Portuguese are semi-mutually intelligible, with a little practice. Possibly we could broaden the Canciones en Español thread to include all the various Iberian languages: Castillian, Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, and what have you. I don't think anyone would object.

On 04/09/2023 at 23:35, [[N...] said:

Rolling Stones - 1966

Hahaha, Mick seems to have a lot of expertise in this field. L'Wren Scott comes to mind just instantly. Well, it's only a song and maybe I'm cranky after two hours' sleep. About to hit the town in a few hours. Oh, the delights of diazepam induced sleep. I remember all the tears I cried in 2012 when she killed herself. No one can say Mick is to blame. But in such situations, you just need to blame someone...

Yeah, very appropriate under the circumstances. God, if you exist, in whatever form... Just let me take a little nap, please. Wanted to see "The Nun II" - not in this state of mind. Jimi loved this song. Here are Songfacts.

Jimi Hendrix  "Burning Of The Midnight Lamp" (1967)

The morning is dead
And the day is too
There's nothing left here to meet me
But the velvet moon
All my loneliness
I have felt today
It's a little more than enough
To make a man throw himself away
And I continue to burn the midnight lamp
Alone

Now the smiling portrait of you.   
Is still hangin' on my frowning wall
But it really doesn't,
it really doesn't bother me
Too much at all
It's just the ever falling dust
That makes it so hard for me to see
That forgotten earring layin' on the floor
Facing coldly towards the door

And I continue
Tomburn the midnight lamp, all alone
Whoa, Lord
[Guitar solo]
Yeah, yeah
Lonely, lonely, lonely
Loneliness is such a drag

So here I sit and pace
That same old fireplace
Gets ready for the same old explosion
Goin' through my mind
And soon enough, time will tell
About the circus and the wishing well
And someone who will buy and sell for me
Someone who will toll my bell

And I continue to burn
the same old lamp, alone
Yeah
Lightnin', can you hear me callin' you?
So lonely
Gonna blow my mind
Yeah, yeah
Lonely, lonely
My, my

2 minutes ago, [[E...] said:

Hahaha, Mick seems to have a lot of expertise in this field. L'Wren Scott comes to mind just instantly. Well, it's only a song and maybe I'm cranky after two hours' sleep. About to hit the town in a few hours. Oh, the delights of diazepam induced sleep. I remember all the tears I cried in 2012 when she killed herself. No one can say Mick is to blame. But in such situations, you just need to blame someone...

I'd honestly forgotten about that episode. Rock stars do live interesting lives for sure.

I'm rather fond of Brian Jones era Rolling Stones. The group really shifted after he was pushed out and subsequently died (Death by Misadventure the coroner's report said). Jones sounds like he was a really unpleasant fellow but I liked the sound and material they were doing back then and that was a lot of his doing.

Another early Stones song (cover) from 1964 -

@[Na...]

Suicide is something I can never forget. Too many suicides in my own life. You're right about Brian Jones and The Beatles. Brian Jones was such a tragic story, but I never looked into details. Seems like he got alienated from the band. Checked up in Wiki and Mick really didn't have very kind memories of him:

"When asked if he felt guilty about Jones's death, Mick Jagger told Rolling Stone in 1995: "No, I don't really. I do feel that I behaved in a very childish way, but we were very young, and in some ways we picked on him. But, unfortunately, he made himself a target for it; he was very, very jealous, very difficult, very manipulative, and if you do that in this kind of a group of people you get back as good as you give, to be honest. I wasn't understanding enough about his drug addiction. No one seemed to know much about drug addiction. Things like LSD were all new. No one knew the harm. People thought cocaine was good for you."

Wyman said in 2002, "As the years go by, I become even more convinced that he's entitled to a free pardon. Brian Jones is a legend and his legacy is there for all to hear. While the Rolling Stones damaged all of us in some way, Brian was the only one that died."'

Oh well, as to Mick... It's common to project one's character shortcomings on others. ”Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understaning of ourselves", as Carl Jung once said. This was not a band of my generation, so I really know quite little. Picked their music from my Father. Brian may have been drowned as well... Just a thought. I'm an avid reader of crime stories😆

Yes, we cannot judge them or anyone else for this matter. Or meddle in their private lives. Like I got mad at Slash and James Hetfield for ruining their apparently happy private lives. What have I done with mine? And  I haven't recorded any memorable riff yet.

L'Wren was so fragile, though...

@[Es...] Yes, suicide is always a tragedy. It always leaves broken lives in it's wake. I've seen families wracked by generations of it. It's like a bunch of dominoes falling, each one caused by the one before.

L'Wren was very tall and wispy. And fragile.

14 minutes ago, [[N...] said:

@[Es...] Yes, suicide is always a tragedy. It always leaves broken lives in it's wake. I've seen families wracked by generations of it. It's like a bunch of dominoes falling, each one caused by the one before.

L'Wren was very tall and wispy. And fragile.

She was an orphan, shouldn't have brought her up. It's the lack of sleep. Wish I forgot all about her. I probably have lots in common with her, though my biological parents are alive. Okay, we're straying from the music.