Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Meditation

[He...]

Hey everyone

A thing that is really helping me in this journey is meditation, but actual meditation.
Do any of you practice it?

I'm going to live a link here of a guided meditation which helps me a lot to relax at the end of the day.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Meditation was very helpful to me during withdrawal.  It's challenging learning to focus without getting lost in your thoughts and feelings, especially during withdrawal.  But meditation helped create some distance from the thoughts and feelings so I felt less tormented by them.  I used Headspace and still do.  Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction is fantastic too.

• Like 2

Primary suffering is the pain (physical or emotional) caused by benzo withdrawal (or other problem). Secondary suffering is the suffering caused by getting caught up in and battling against the primary suffering. What MBSR meditation does is greatly reduce, even eliminate, secondary suffering by helping you to step away from the secondary battle.

As Brighterday said, meditation creates distance between you and the primary suffering. It's a bit hard to explain, but as you practice, you will understand it better. I had to experience it to understand it. And it did take me some persistent practice because I was not a natural. 

I use some longer MBSR guided meditations narrated by Jon Kabat-Zin and an audiobook called You are Not Your Pain by Burch and Penman that includes very short guided meditations. 

Edited by [ga...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I used meditation a lot during my taper. I was a complete newbie to meditation so I bought a CD set (probably on Youtube now) by Buddhist nun Pema Chodron called "How to Meditate" that explained the basics.  I highly recommend this -- it enabled me to start slow. Meditation is such an unfamiliar concept for Westerners, but after awhile I "got it". I still meditate 3 or 4 times a week. I just set aside some time, and do it. Chodron has plenty of guided meditations. Also a woman named Bellaruth Naparstek has quite a collection of them, as well. I'm sure they are available on Youtube, or Amazon if you want to buy them. I'm old-fashioned and still use the CDs I bought during my taper.

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 1

I've always wondered if I could meditate, how long would the effect of it work, if it worked?  I have a tremor, and it's worse now after my latest cut, which I have to say is anxiety causing it.  My anxiety flares up at different things, like an accidental video I might "should" have not watched.  I don't look for things to upset me, honestly.  But as you all probably know, they happen, unexpectedly, but I don't have to try very hard to avoid most things I know will set me off, or light my fuse while I feel I'm just waiting for the explosion.

I'd like to learn something simple and try it.  Maybe hypnotism would suit me better :heybabe: I had a negative thought that I might be a difficult subject:o Denise:smitten:

22 hours ago, [[o...] said:

I've always wondered if I could meditate, how long would the effect of it work, if it worked?  I have a tremor, and it's worse now after my latest cut, which I have to say is anxiety causing it.  My anxiety flares up at different things, like an accidental video I might "should" have not watched.  I don't look for things to upset me, honestly.  But as you all probably know, they happen, unexpectedly, but I don't have to try very hard to avoid most things I know will set me off, or light my fuse while I feel I'm just waiting for the explosion.

I'd like to learn something simple and try it.  Maybe hypnotism would suit me better :heybabe: I had a negative thought that I might be a difficult subject:o Denise:smitten:

@[or...] maybe give Pema Chodron a try. She's very user-friendly and the intro CD/You tube of hers I mentioned is a painless way to get into meditation. I recommend it to everyone who wants to know how/where to start. I have the brain of a butterfly, but meditation did help me learn to focus. Also I started to do tai chi during my taper and that helped enormously with  mental focus. One of the moves is called "go back to ward off monkeys" and our instructor told us that the monkeys are our annoying, always-chattering minds. Interesting. In fact all the moves in tai chi have meanings like that. One of the things I love about tai chi. Another called "carry tiger to mountain" is about getting rid of our egos. Again, interesting!

Edited by [or...]
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

That brain chattering is relentless but I have noticed I am sleeping better (falling asleep), but it can also happen so quickly during the day, when I'm home alone. 

I will take a look and let you know if it's something I feel I would like to try.  I do know there are probably many types of meditation, so I'll be researching several ways.  I think first I'll look up a clear definition of what it is, and thank you so much O.K. ;) Denise:smitten::hug:

On 11/09/2023 at 10:19, [[o...] said:

That brain chattering is relentless but I have noticed I am sleeping better (falling asleep), but it can also happen so quickly during the day, when I'm home alone. 

I will take a look and let you know if it's something I feel I would like to try.  I do know there are probably many types of meditation, so I'll be researching several ways.  I think first I'll look up a clear definition of what it is, and thank you so much O.K. ;) Denise:smitten::hug:

Yes, there are many types and not everyone will find every type helpful. I found MBSR worked for me but I was not a natural at it so I had to/have to work at it. But, that's OK. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I’ve bought the Sam Harris waking up app and am using it once or twice a day. In what ways does the meditation benefit you? I do a lot of Wim Hof style breathwork. That’s been great.

Love this thread :thumbsup:

I use this meditation a lot just before I go to sleep… I make sure to turn all the lights off and I put my phone cover over the screen whilst it’s playing so I’m not getting any blue light disrupting me. This one is full of beautiful affirmations.

• Like 1

What I've learned is do it at least once a day, at least 10 minutes.

The idea is to concentrate on your breath or a spot in space like your forehead or something. Then try to sort of watch and ignore  thoughts almost like you're a third person observing.

So for example if you're focusing on your belly during a breathing meditation, everytime you catch a different though pop up you ignore it (don't chase it) and go back to concentrating on your belly.

Supposedly you can eventually stay on the belly for the entire 10 minutes. I haven't made it yet. 

It helps by quieting the mind and overall calm it down.

It also takes a while (days or weeks) until you feel the effects. I can feel it working and I haven't heard any negative reports on meditation.

Oregonlady, I've heard good things about hypnotism too.  Scientifically I believe it works, so only do it with someone you trust.

here's a simple one I like.

Edited by [...]
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I like meditation and do it quite often. I also in love with wall pilates ( check here more info  https://betterme.world/articles/wall-pilates/ ). So in short wall Pilates blends traditional Pilates with wall exercises for enhanced stability and resistance. Using the wall as support, it refines core strength, posture, and flexibility, creating a dynamic and effective workout.

Edited by [Od...]