Important Survey - Please Participate ×

When is it?

[Al...]

When is it safe to try different stuff bb that effects gaba. Id love to drink chamomile or try valerian root but ive been anxious because of ativan withdrawal. I would also like to know if a beer is ok. I used to drink chamomile a lot but after withdrawal i cut it out. Id love to try valerian tea. As well

Hi there,

I've been drinking chamomile tea throughout my taper. It can be so, so soothing—as long as you buy the German imports. Chamomile tea is a simple and uncomplicated help that does no harm. I've tried Valerian and gotten some benefit, too.

As for a beer, I know it seems as if it would be soothing to drink too, and give you some moments of peace and calm. Unfortunately I'm told it thwacks your GABA receptors. Alcohol's action on GABA receptors is the same thing as benzos. Both keep your GABA receptors from properly functioning. An alcoholic drink will end up causing you more harm than good. I haven't had anything alcoholic to drink for so long and honestly, it's not worth trying to me. I'm trying to nurture my GABA receptors and get them up and dancing again!

There is GABA rice, which is rice with something like 4X the GABA, to help up up-regulate GABA receptors. (All up-regulate means is to get them active again, since benzos cause them to become less and less active. Which is one of our prime issues!) There are also buckwheat soba GABA noodles. I eat both rice and soba noodles, and I think they're helpful. Certainly not harmful!!

Hope that helps!!

HCHC

• Like 1

I've had a few beers during my taper - my husband and I will dilute them with a citrus sparkling water, which actually tastes better than it sounds. I love sitting on the deck with an appetizer and my beverage, but I DO notice that I don't feel quite so good the next day. So, it's kind of a, yeah, I'm not gonna feel great but it's worth it, or I'm not gonna feel great and I'm not up to dealing with it.  I go either way depending on how I'm feeling. I think, really, the best course is probably to avoid alcohol for now, but I also wanted to share my experience. I don't think it's a HUGE setback for me, because I don't drink much, but it could be ... 

I agree with @[Ho...] - the chamomile tea is quite soothing, and I haven't had any issues when I drink it.

• Like 1

@[Al...]

Try to stay away from booze. It acts similarly to the BZD, only has euphoric properties. I love drinking green matcha tea with lemon and yuzu jam. Also oolong. They give you such clarity of mind.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, [[E...] said:

@[Al...]

Try to stay away from booze. It acts similarly to the BZD, only has euphoric properties. I love drinking green matcha tea with lemon and yuzu jam. Also oolong. They give you such clarity of mind.

@[Es...] The yuzu jam was a new one to me! Do you put it in your tea? (That actually sounds like a really interesting idea ... I mean, why not?)

• Like 1

Hi Paula, im finally trying matcha tea. I keep hearing how delicious it is and boy do I need clarity when I have brain fog. 
♥️😘

2 hours ago, [[E...] said:

@[Ja...] @[Je...]

This is the yuzu jam I'm using. And the lemon juice can be freshly squeezed. I used the bottled one, cause I'm a very lazy person🙈

IMG_9376.thumb.jpeg.6c9ddb184cda7131367fe0937e8efc09.jpeg

@[Es...] Thank you for the picture! I have bottled lemon juice, too! Haha!

• Like 1