Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Seraquel

[Al...]

Been dealing with a bout of insomnia from anxiety. Tried seraquel again. I welcome the sedation but it makes my anxiety worse the following day because it makes you feel so dam off. My biggest complaint is that it makes me feel like anxious to walk around. Like if im standing i feel unstable and like i need to lay down anyone else have this?

• Like 1

@[Al...]

Seroquel is effective for insomnia in the lowest possible dose, like 12.5-25 mg. However, it's half-life is about 6 hrs. You may be dealing with Seroquel WD sxs on top of your own anxiety. In this article it is clearly written that Seroquel may cause anxiety or nervousness. Used to take it for years in the past, remember it quite well. Tiny doses for sleep, but with an AD in the morning.

Please consult your medical provider.

Take care:hug:

Paula

• Like 2

13 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Tried seraquel again. I welcome the sedation but it makes my anxiety worse the following day because it makes you feel so dam off. My biggest complaint is that it makes me feel like anxious to walk around. Like if im standing i feel unstable and like i need to lay down anyone else have this?

Hi Alb1,

I'm sorry you're feeling this way.

It will probably depend on your dose, whether you are taking it consistently and whether you are taking extended release or not.

I was prescribed for ptsd many moons ago, I still take it. I am on 50mg extended release (XR) per night for sleep and intrusive thoughts.

When I started taking it I had side effects and it took some time 6-12 weeks for my body to adjust. My ptsd was classed as in "remission" after a few years and has stayed that way until recently.

I have just had 12.5mg seroquel normal release added in the morning as short term addition to coming out of remission while I find a new therapy solution. I do find that I am aware that the 12.5mg has worn off by late afternoon evening and I get jittery but not like you described.

• Like 1

Yea it’s hard right now because i like the sleep but then feel guilt the next day. I took it consistently from November 5 to sometime in febuary or March. I just really can’t stand the increased instability when i get anxious  the next day. I swapped to Benadryl for now. But thinking about hydroxyzine out trazadone. 

• Like 1

@[Al...]

There is plenty of meds that will make you sleep and have a longer half-life. It doesn't have to be an AP. Mirtazapine is tiny doses is very effective, also sinequan (doxepin), but they are ADs.

A milder sedative AP would be phenergan. I used a few drops of phenergan syrup and it made me fall asleep.

You know, sometimes insomnia is a symptom of depression, so sedative ADs can be helpful.

I've had insomnia well before the benzos, since my teenage years. I suffer from C-PTSD and insomnia is often a comorbid condition. Insomnia also runs in families.

Neither my Father nor his Mother could ever sleep. There are plenty of factors besides your BZD WD that may contribute to your insomnia. The point is to detect them. Benzos cause rebound insomnia for sure.

Take care:hug:

Paula

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I took it consistently from November 5 to sometime in febuary or March

Hi again @[Al...]

I see you took the seroquel for a decent chunk of time, perhaps it's just not the right fit for you. If you are only taking it for sleep then perhaps you can try something else. It would depend on your medical situation.

Sorry I'm not much help with that. I've been lucky enough to avoid insomnia for the most part, well the seroquel helped for me obviously.

Have you checked out the insomnia threads - there will be plenty of other things you can try :hug:

https://benzobuddies.org/forum/123-insomnia-depression-anxiety/