Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Primary care Docs not helping & Psychiatrist unavailable

[Pr...]

It’s a shame that primary Docs stopped Xanax rxs completely and only a psychiatrist can give you Xanax for short term use.  Getting a Psychiatrist in my area is almost impossible.  

• Like 1

Hello @[Pr...] Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

It is a complicated matter. One the one hand, doctors are generally too keen to hand out this class of of medication. And on the other, they will not (or cannot) prescribe them when they are justifiably required.

• Like 1

IMO, all Benzos are a dead end road.  Medically speaking, they should only be prescribed for 2-4 weeks maximum.  However, many doctors do not follow those guidelines and almost all medical professionals do not believe in nor recognize Benzo WD as being legit.  

I agree Xanax should only be a short term use drug, but I was on 3 mg of Xanax for 20 years til my Dr. retired. I had a distinguished career and was highly motivated and productive.  After retirement I weaned off of Xanax…Covid hit and I fell apart.  Now on 2 mg of Klonopin and at 70, plan on staying on them til the Lord takes me.  

At this point in your life, you probably don't care, but some research suggests that long-term Benzo use increases the risk of dementia and other brain related illness? Not trying to change your position or scare you, just making an observation.