Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Stomach Tightness and Difficulty Sitting

[ki...]

Hello,

Just wanted to understand if anybody had / have similar symptom to mine, which is freaking me out lately. 

There is a strange tightness in the abdomen region, sometimes with bloating, sometimes without bloat. It almost becomes difficult to sit since sitting puts pressure in that region, and this also causes shortness of breath / breathlessness. Also cause breathing issues on bending. Along with that there are digestive issues, the tightness gets relieved for a bit after pooping at times, but then builds up again.

It's very discomforting and causing vicious anxiety issues. 

Hi, Bud. I can't speak for others but one of my most enduring symptoms is stomach problems, totally unlike what I've ever known before, and I already had a lot of experience with that kind of thing.

I don't know if this is what you mean but my stomach is dense and protrudes SO OFTEN now,  and I can't cure it or hold it in. It feels like there's a canon ball in there. It's often after I've eaten but sometimes I don't even have to. I'm eating smaller and smaller potions to try and mitigate it. And like you, it's uncomfortable, and yes, it very much effects my ability to breathe!! And anything that involves using my abdominal muscles (TMI - like trying to do a bowel movement), it genuinely feels like it makes it harder to push (sorry). It's crazymaking.

Like you say it's different to just being bloated and doesn't relieve itself as easily as bloating might. Also I tend to find that higher up in the stomach area suffers the same symptoms, which wasn't my experience before with regular bloating. I've never known my upper stomach to feel dense/bloated and it still upsets me sometimes.

So yes, you're not alone, I'm so sorry you're going through this too. I had my last diazepam Feb 2021 and my last zopi Jan 2022 and so far I'm still living with it. I avoid alcohol now (but not completely) because I tend to find an acute flair of secondary withdrawal symptoms if I have a social drink, so I don't know if that's contributed to my having long term symptoms or not.

You're not alone, I'm in this with you.

Having the exact same issues.

Horrible stomach pain. Zero sleep last night because of it. Feeling desperate.  Anything that helps?? Any suggestions to make better??

I don't know how long this will last and I am scared....so much pain I am in....please help me

This all sounds to me like our wd from benzos throws off our gut bacteria, or what I mean is, PH Balance of our stomach acids.  So what I would do, like when I had acid reflux, and that started while I was in Tolerance w/d, is look up natural ways to balance my PH so when I eat, or not eating I get my stomach back in balance.  It's probably something that happens in time but sound awful to go through while we are still in the healing process.

I kind of wish that supplement board was still around, some people including myself, use some supplements. 

Muscle pain/tightness and/or a skin/muscle burning sensation seems to be a very common symptom when coming off, or after stopping, benzos

I was on multiple drugs for nerve pain over a period of several years including opiates and gabapentin.  Stopped all of those drugs and was prescribed valium. Used valium on and off for 7 months.
Went cold turkey from valium on 9/28/20. 

My withdrawal symptoms include severe & unrelenting lower back, shoulder, neck, head, abdominal, hip & buttocks muscle pain with stiffness & a burning/buzzing sensation. Sitting is a real problem because it is so painful. 

Unfortunately these symptoms can last for a long, long time in some people. 

I am now 34 months off valium and am still having very severe muscle pain.  Over this past year or so I have had periods (windows) where I did feel much better and was able to do activities.  There were even times when I thought I could write a benzo Success story on this site, but for this past month I have been in a severe wave.  There are now times when I can barely walk outside.  It feels like I am back in the “early” days when I stopped taking the valium. 

I am hoping that this is the last “final healing wave” that some  benzo members talk about.  It is pure hell.

Hope we all feel some relief very soon.

On 09/08/2023 at 16:08, [[B...] said:

Thanks for the words of encouragement. 

Feeling so alone.

I don't know what to do about the pain....

Hi love, Couple things:

I can relate to this EXACT SYMPTOM. You're not alone. Several years ago I was in an in patient treatment facility for opioid dependence. I met a girl there who was on several benzodiazepines on very high doses. (Entirely different story – but just to share how crazy her situation was: she was in college struggling with anxiety and her Dr. was conducting a ‘trial’ by prescribing high doses of benzodiazapines and rx’d her something like; 8 mg klonopin, 2 mg Xanax, and a couple other benzos DAILY). She took something like 10-15 mgs daily of short acting benzos for months. She got so sick of the pills, one day, she threw her pills down the toilet not knowing what would happen.

To make a long story short - she went to the hospital - was there for two week then went to the inpatient treatment facility where I met her. When I asked her: "What does benzo WD feel like?" She replied: "It feels like someone is squeezing you from the inside out." I never understood what she meant until I experienced some of it for myself. 

When going through WDs, I have a serious tightness/bloating in my abdomen/chest area. Sometimes I get it in my neck/throat and it feels like anaphylaxis only not as severe. In terms of stomach issues - I have some thoughts/ideas. 

I have had terrible gut issues my entire life after an unnecessary surgery when I was 7 that forever compromised my digestive health. That was completely exacerbated when getting on and trying to get off, benzos. My stomach/digestion has never been so bad, as when I’ve been on and trying to get off these meds…but… the ONE thing that has completely turned around my digestion in the last couple weeks is going on a pescatarian diet – and almost completely omitting processed foods. Let me tell you… this has been tough. But… my gut issues have improved IMMENSELY. I get that going ‘whole food diet’ is not something many want to do… but I cannot express how impactful it’s been for me.

Your symptoms are very consistent with benzo WD. I know it’s a really weird symptom, but totally ‘normal’ in this context. Hang in there… x

Thank you for your kind words.

I am on a very strict diet.

No processed food, caffeine, dairy, sugar ect.  I eat oatmeal, eggs, fruits veggies, chicken and potatoes. 

I also have struggled with my Gi issues most of my life....but I miss eating normal foods.

I just hope this pain goes away with w/d.

Thank you for replying, I am new to this site and still figuring out how to navigate it.

I would only eat foods, drinks that are noted as being anti-inflammatory, it would sure be worth a try.  I only had acid reflux but it was enough to let me know it could harm my esophagus, and even cause me cancer.  Since I've been on low-carb nutrition, I've no longer had the issue, not digestive issues at all.  No burning esophagus or burning throat where acid came that far up.

Your diet has some high-carb foods in it like the potatos and some fruits.  I can eat blueberries, strawberries, and blackberries without any issues.  There are more things as well.  I'll put a link to show you high carb, common foods.  If you want to know more about Dr. Unwin who taught me a lot, I have a good video I'll link as well.  I really don't know if any of this will help anyone, but in case it could help, I hope you'll take a look.  I can't stand still while folks are suffering and maybe "again" misguided by some doctors.

Here's the comparison between normal foods according to government standards, and to the far right are how many teaspoons of sugar these carbs equal.  Added sugar causes inflammation, and "some" refined foods are found to cause inflammation. If nothing else, I find this doctors voice so very comforting, and I believe in him because he woke up to the truth of his patients issues.  I do wish I could talk to him personally about benzos, he would do a brilliant job and helping people battling benzos:

https://lowcarbfreshwell.com/what-is-a-low-carb-lifestyle/dr-unwins-sugar-infographics/

https://youtu.be/QizJhk4DaUY?list=PLwZBGDeIeol9VQdOoW_6g5PV2_UVXCjr9

• 3 weeks later...